Help, support and a shoulder to cry on!

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
dmwill65@gmail.com
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by dmwill65@gmail.com »

Hello everyone, and thanks for allowing me to register on the forum.
I've had my Qashqai for just over a year now. I bought it second hand from a reputable dealer as a 2014 Acenta Premium with 30k miles on the clock.
In terms of the car itself and what you get for your money, I can't fault it. It has great styling, is comfortable and has some great toys to play with, including our favourite, the full length sunshine roof!
However, the beginning of this year saw the start of my nightmare which i'm still living to this day.
It started with the stop start malfunction in which my local dealer informed me was the battery. So £130 later for a new battery and it still had the same problem. Funnily enough it went in for a service and the issue seemed to go away! Did they do a reset or something??
On to the next problem, Aircon.... It just stopped working. A regas said Nissan because of the new eco-friendly gas they use nowadays. My suspicions were aroused. True enough, there was a leak in the compressor caused (so they say!) by a stone coming through the fine grille! That will be £600 please!!!!!!
Issue number 3, horrible noises from the engine and road noise which made this 4x2 sound like a 60's Landrover!
Again, they confirmed something is wrong but it's going to be £140 just to diagnose the problem.
To this point I am just fed up. This What Car of the year award winning vehicle has given me nothing but grief and expense.
I've logged a complaint with Nissan HQ and a case manager will be contacting me soon, but can anyone offer me some advice and support on what I should do address these issues with as little expense on my part as possible?
Thanking you in advance.
Regards
David
(A person who desperately wants to love his Qashqai again!)

Gel

Post by Gel »

To save yourself from a deluge of spam, suggest you remove your e mail address from post and also amend your user name to something other than your full e mail address. :(

This forum has a messaging servicing when private messages need to be sent to other members.

Nissan will be more lenient if it has had all the services carried out by a Nissan dealer at prescribed intervals.

Battery Problem:
Mine is 2014 too but I didn't have one of the duff FIAMM batteries; use search box here to see many posts
on this; if in warranty and you broke down, then called the RAC, they've been free issued with batteries to change over.

AC Problem:
Again some of that vintage have had condenser issues, which mostly were dealt with sympathetically by Nissan,
if in warranty period.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
paplane

Post by paplane »

Battery and air con condenser are unfortunately massive issues on 2014 cars. Both commonly fail and need replacements - use the search function on the forum to read up on these and you'll understand better. Others have had these items replaced under warranty. I certainly did.

Sounds like you're out of warranty and if so you may be unlucky. Did you actually see with your own eyes the stone chip damage in the condenser? I'm asking because it may have been easier for them to tell you that was the issue rather than explain that the condensers on the 2014 cars are not fit for purpose. In my opinion any reputable Nissan dealer should have advised of the potential for it to be the common condenser failure issue before charging you for expensive re-gassing on an old condenser. If you're speaking to Nissan maybe you should ask them to confirm if they have previously replaced the car's condenser under warranty for the previous owner? Do you have a service history? If so, give the last owner's dealer a ring and ask them if they replaced it maybe?

Can't comment on your engine noise I'm afraid, don't recall that issue being mentioned on this forum. I'd be tempted to ask the dealer's Service Manager if he's had similar faults reported on other QQ's before paying them the £140. But, it's a 4 year old car now and repairs at a Nissan dealer are going to be expensive - I'd be asking myself if this is the time to take it to a local mechanic who might be able to look at and repair the problem without charging you the dealer's exorbitant diagnostic charge of £140???
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Welcome (!) to the forum. As you can see from my signature I've just sold my Qashqai - I was fed up both with the car's faults (experienced or potential) but also in my case the attitude of the dealer.

I bought my 2015/06 1.2DigT in 2016/03 and for some time was complaining about the fact stop/start wasn't working. Eventually they diagnosed a faulty Fiamm battery and replaced it under warranty - the stop/start continued to be virtually never there throughout my tenure. In the last 5.5 months (i.e. since New Year) it only operated on about 3 or 4 days.

Just before the three-year service in 2018/04 (carried out early since I'd had the car serviced when I bought it) the AC packed up. I told them not to just regas it but test the condenser for leaks. Sure enough they found several leaks and agreed a warranty replacement - that cost . At the same time I had a corroded wheel replaced and a bush in the steering column. All were covered by the warranty but the costs would have been:

Steering column lower bush noisy - replace - £43.98
AC condenser leaking - replace - £434.62
NSR wheel corroded - replace - £305.32
Total - £783.92

They then took one month and three visits to them to give me costs for an extended warranty - I wasn't prepared to keep the car without one. Mine hadn't suffered from the 1.2 engine problem, but was only on 20k miles and it could easily have struck. Despite the fact they eventually came up with some figures, higher than others had reported here, I was so fed up I decided to get rid of it before the MoT (due last week) and swapped it for a new Ignis (I only paid £1149 + the Qashqai) in mid June. Try as I might I can't find ANY faults with the Ignis and the Suzuki dealer service is a world apart from what I was getting with Nissan.

As has been noted there is extensive discussion about the stop/start and battery, condenser and engine issues elsewhere on this forum. Looks like some reading is in order and then a visit to your dealer to argue your case. However it might be too late on the battery and condenser issues. I haven't had any experience of dealing directly with Nissan apart from trying unsuccessfully to find out extended warranty costs.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)