Good morning all

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
StevieG
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by StevieG »

Hi, new member here. Collected a pre reg 2018 1.2 dig -t Tekna a few weeks ago. Long time since my last Nissan or should I say Datsun. That was a Datsun bluebird. How technology has moved on. I am trying to get my head around auto hold and hill assist atm as despite reading the relevent pages in the manual many times I cannot see why if the auto hold comes on and automatically goes off when you put foot on the accelerator why would you need Hill assist that supposedly only holds you for 2 seconds. I shall hopefully find a relevent thread and and add my tuppence worth. In the meantime just saying hello and observe that from what I have seen so far this looks like an excellent site. Thanks

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

hill start assist comes on when you stop of a slope with the clutch depressed and the foot brake pedal pressed

Without wanting to seem patronising (I'm sorry if it seems that way) here's a simple example.

Let's say you are behind a big truck, manoeuvring up a hill. He's moving slowly through a gap and you cautiously stop.
Clutch in, foot on brake.
He moves off and clears the obstruction.
It's clear for you to proceed.
Foot off brake and auto hold comes in to effect allowing you to move your foot onto the accelerator and pull away smoothly with no risk of rolling back into the idiot behind who got too close. In this scenario 2 seconds is plenty of time.

It feels a bit weird at first but doesn't take long to get used to and is pretty helpful.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

It is a bit weird initially. I gained confidence in the Hold/Hill function when I felt the foot brake stiffen up when I stopped.

The parking/hand brake... I still jerk the car sometimes. Listening to the caliper motors engaging/disengaging gave me a clue but digital foot not helping. Throttle pedal placing is a bit odd I thought as cannot find a spot to lay my foot against slightly...quirky me perhaps?

I don't drive my QQ that much so taking too much time to get used to.
Last edited by calnorth on Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
StevieG

Post by StevieG »

Thanks MikeGc and calnorth for your excellent responses. I have only done a few hundred miles in it and not an awful lot of hill about here to practice on.
MikeGc when you say Clutch in, foot on brake then when ready to move off you take foot off brake and auto hold comes on for several seconds. That sounds fine to me but I thought that the Aoto Hold would come on when you apply the brake and go off as you accelerate. Perhaps the auto brake hold doesn't work on a slope and then I could see the need for the Hill assist. I intend to go out this afternoon and look until i can find a quiet hill to have a play. calnorth thanks for your info as well. I better not continue further as I am probably supposed to start a new thread for this as I was only trying to make an introduction. It is probably an age thing haha! Cheers
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Good idea to kick off a relevant thread. No worry about age.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Sandgrounder

Post by Sandgrounder »

When I bought this J11B QQ in 2017, I pressed the automatic brake hold switch near the gear stick so the function remains active every time I start the car.
The automatic brake hold indicator (white) illuminates when the automatic brake hold system is in standby and the automatic brake hold indicator (green) illuminates while the automatic brake hold system is operating.
It is my understanding that if you use the automatic brake hold, then the easy hill start/assist is disabled, as it is basically the same function. The difference being the automatic brake hold works for up to 3 minutes and the easy hill start is only for 2 seconds.

I used the automatic brake hold when I had to reverse up an incline. I find it a lot easier to use the auto hold than the easy hill start!
Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Previously: 1.2 N-Tec DIG-T 115 J11A ~ Blade Silver (Nov 14-Sep 17)
MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

StevieG wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:53 am MikeGc when you say Clutch in, foot on brake then when ready to move off you take foot off brake and auto hold comes on for several seconds. That sounds fine to me but I thought that the Aoto Hold would come on when you apply the brake and go off as you accelerate. Perhaps the auto brake hold doesn't work on a slope and then I could see the need for the Hill assist.
Auto hold only keeps the brake on for a few seconds.
It comes on when you stop on a slope with the clutch depressed and the brake pedal depressed.
When you stop on a slope (as above) the little green icon will light in the instrument binnacle to show that auto hold is "on".
If you release the footbrake and don't start driving the auto hold will release and the car will roll back.
I thought that the Auto Hold would come on when you apply the brake and go off as you accelerate
It does - my phrasing wasn't very clear - auto hold stays on for a few seconds
MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

Sandgrounder wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:33 pm When I bought this J11B QQ in 2017, I pressed the automatic brake hold switch near the gear stick
My car doesn't have this feature
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

This thread has moved here: Easy Hill Start v Auto brake hold

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7961
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta