Nconnecta's sat nav

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
yost72
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by yost72 »

I tested this with a drive of 5 miles. The sat nav gave an ETA 20 minutes later (for a 10 minute drive). Even when I got a mile away it still showed that I was 10 minutes away (rather than about 1 1/2 minutes), and as the distance counted down it knocked a minute off the ETA every few seconds. I don't know why the original ETA was so far out though?

I also had a longer drive, and I had checked on Google Maps (which factors in traffic, accidents etc), which showed it was a 2 1/4 hour drive. When I put the postcode into the car's sat nav, it estimated an ETA just over 3 hours. As with the previous journey, it very slowly brought the ETA down but still when I was only a couple of minutes away it was showing ETA as before several minutes.

Have I got a setting wrong somewhere or is the proprietary sat nav just not very good? Unfortunately I have a 2018 model which is not compatible with Android Auto so I cannot use Google Maps.

BobAus

Post by BobAus »

In my opinion, in built sat nav not very good. Are you sure you can't use google maps via bluetooth? iphone/bluetooth/google maps works well for us as quasi airplay - we have same model as yours I think. Just make sure you have downloaded offline maps before you leave in case you lose cell reception on trip. Of course, perhaps Android doesn't work same way as Apple?
Mar 2018 Ti 2.0L MR20DD CVT
yost72

Post by yost72 »

BobAus wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:59 pm In my opinion, in built sat nav not very good. Are you sure you can't use google maps via bluetooth? iphone/bluetooth/google maps works well for us as quasi airplay - we have same model as yours I think. Just make sure you have downloaded offline maps before you leave in case you lose cell reception on trip. Of course, perhaps Android doesn't work same way as Apple?
I am struggling to get NissanConnect set up and waiting for someone to call me about it. That said, I don't understand how/why the ETAs can be so far out on Nissan's sat nav system. I can cycle to my destination quicker than the ETAs it gives me!
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

BobAus wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:59 pm iphone/bluetooth/google maps works well for us as quasi airplay - we have same model as yours I think.

"Quasi Airplay"? You mean you can get maps on the car screen without having the latest equipment that has Android Auto/Airplay integrated?
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

A couple of points to the first post...

In your settings somewhere are your personal speed settings (A roads/B roads/Motorways). It can't figure out how long a journey is going to take you unless it knows how fast/slow you are going to be driving.

I think it also "adds on a few minutes for good measure" to take into account traffic lights and so on because you are never going to be able to drive the entire journey at the speeds you have said. This is what makes the last couple of miles seem high.

Thirdly - it dynamically changes throughout based on traffic, e.g. I went up to the in-laws at the weekend, an hours journey away. It said 55 mins like it usually does. Then it jumped to 75 mins as there was quite a bit of a queue due to a crash I'd heard on the radio, but then 10 mins later it dropped back to 45 mins again as the tailback had cleared by the time I'd got to the area.

Personally, for any journey more than a few minutes/miles, I've found the arrival time ETA to be bang on.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Just checked in the car and defaults are 70mph for motorways, 50 for major and 25 for all other.
BobAus

Post by BobAus »

Gloucester – No, but I find that Google Maps on my iPhone 6 plus in a Kenu Airbase Pro mounted close to the pillar is clearer and safer than needing to look down at the car screen. By “Quasi Airplay” I mean that the voice directions come through the car speakers via bluetooth and override the radio. Mounting close to the pillar also is an ideal place for Hey Siri to hear you and therefore be able to make calls to your favourites completely hands free. Tried Apple Maps the other day and while the visuals were arguably a bit clearer than Google Maps the voice turn directions always came too late or were wrong. The Nissan voice directions also come too late and are more often wrong and the visuals are not as good and obviously you need to look down at the screen.
Mar 2018 Ti 2.0L MR20DD CVT
fbgqashqai
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by fbgqashqai »

Likewise at default personal speed settings I find the nav to be way off. I have now set to Motorway - 88 mph, Major Roads - 65 mph and local roads - 30 mph. I now find the journey completion times to be a lot closer to reality and no I don't drive at these excessive speeds on the road lol.
fbgqashai 2017 J11a N Connecta 1.5DCi in Silver
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

It depends what it classes as a "Major road". As it defaults to 25mph for all other roads other than motorway/major, I suspect a lot of the country lanes that you can go at 50mph on are being calculated at 25mph.

The other setting is route mode - make sure it's set to FAST, not shortest or ECO.

I've just noticed since I updated to D554, there's now a "minimise unpaved roads". That's good, I'm fed up of being sent down them.