Qashqai Newbie - On A Mission

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
MonoJono
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by MonoJono »

Hi,

Recently taken possession of my 2018 Qashqai N-Connecta and I'm very happy with it. Drives smoothly and with impressive power for the 1.5l engine. No problem keeping up the pace on the motorway and keen around town. The higher ride position feels comfortable and on par with the taller SUV's! I think my favorite thing so far is being able to land bang on target when parking in car park spaces using the 360 cameras - amazing!

However, I have to admit to joining the forum on a bit of a mission. The one thing I can't get to grips with on the car is the Nissan Connect system. I've registered online, downloaded the app and logged into that, and got it connected to the car etc - but where is all the wizz-bang navigation I was promised? :lol: Is there something more than the standard sat-nav available? I've got Android Auto and Waze on my phone that I used on my previous car - please tell me that I will be able to view them on the Qashqai's screen! :cry:

Looking forward to chatting with you and reading any words of wisdom you care to share.

Cheers for now.
Jon.

Noddy1875
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Noddy1875 »

Downloading the app = waste of time.

Nothing more than the standard satnav.

No android auto or waze, unless you have a newer connect.
Pearl Black 65 reg Tekna. 1.5 DCI
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Agree with, Noddy... the app is a waste of time, if Nissan can't be bothered to update it, 2 years and counting, then what's the point.
19 plate 1.5dCi n-connecta in Magnetic Red
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

I suspect you have a map SD card slot which will date the Connect device to late 2017 at least?

Nissan won't be supporting it for what you require.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

calnorth wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:21 am Nissan won't be supporting it for what you require.
I bet this is going to come as a disappointment, Jono...but seeing as though you bought a Qashqai you'll soon get used to that feeling :lol:
MonoJono

Post by MonoJono »

Thanks for your replies guys - I feel a bit depressed now! I was hoping you'd be telling me to just press this and twiddle that and hey presto! Never mind, I'm still impressed with the car itself (I presume you all are too?), just seems that there's only a passing nod towards the latest comms tech which a massive shame.

Mine's a 68 plate, and yes calnorth, it's got an SD card slot. I hired a 19 plate before I bought my own and from the limited 'playing' I did I'd say they were pretty much the same. Can't remember if it had an SD card though? :?

So yes, I am disappointed with the nav side of things and it feels like the blurb about apps was over-egged a bit! I take it there's no way to add apps to the Connect app so they can be pushed onto the car screen? I've only got 5 on it and I'm only likely to use 2 of them! I'm surprised Google Maps or Google Driving aren't on it to be honest.

Luckily I've found a nice little place to rest my phone where I can easily see the screen so the nice lady Katie on Waze can still guide me along! :D

Thanks again for your comments guys.

Cheers.
Jono

PS Are there other 'disappointments' for me to yet discover then Weasel? Hope not! You're not sorry you got a Qashqai are you? :shock:
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

MonoJono wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:31 pm
Recently taken possession of my 2018 Qashqai N-Connecta...
Welcome to this forum.

That model could have one of two satnavs. Check out whether there's an SD card slot top right and note the depictions on the buttons.

The old one - SD card - no Android Auto or CarPlay:

The new one - no SD card - but with Android Auto or CarPlay:

(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
MonoJono

Post by MonoJono »

It's the old one! :(
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

MonoJono wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:50 pm PS Are there other 'disappointments' for me to yet discover then Weasel? Hope not! You're not sorry you got a Qashqai are you? :shock:
The whole Qashqai experience has been a little disappointing for me so far, but there are some good points too.

We'll start with the bad points first to get them out of the way.

Stop/Start Failure

AdBlue Failure ( though you might not have to worry about that )

4 Bolts missing from the engine undertray on a new car with 8 miles on the clock

Lack of torque when compared to the old 1.5 diesel ( which I drove the other day )

Was told I was buying a car which was manufactured in 2019 and I don't believe that for one second, I think the car had been sat in a compound from mid 2018 and only registered in 2019

Car has been back to the dealers twice to try and find out what the strong burning smell is, you can smell it intermittently when you open the drivers door

Local Main Dealers refused to take the car in for warranty work because I didn't buy it from them ( complaint lodged with Nissan )

I really dislike how easy this car is to steal

Now the good points

The car is lovely to drive ( excluding the lack of torque )

I love cruising down the motorway at 79 mpg

I love driving round town at 64 mpg

I actually like the SatNav, so much faster at route corrections than my old TomTom

The car is very, very comfortable on long journeys

I love Auto Hold, High Beam Assist, 360 Cameras and all the other gadgets you get on a N-Connecta

Now I know, I'd say watch what you are doing when buying a Pre-Registered car and don't be blinded by the £9000 saving like I was.
MonoJono

Post by MonoJono »

Hi Weasel,

Quite a list there, and more or less balanced between good and bad! I know how you feel to some extent. I had a similar experience with my last car. Ended up wishing I hadn't bought it for various reasons, so when I could manage it I changed it ...to the Qashqai! So regarding your list, I would reply with ...

AdBlue Failure ( though you might not have to worry about that )
I have got it, but I'd never heard of it before. More expense! Hope it actually does some good!

Lack of torque when compared to the old 1.5 diesel ( which I drove the other day )
Wondering what you mean by the old one? Mine's a 1.5 diesel. Not sure what the values are but it feels torquey enough. Not tried towing yet though!! Was hoping it might eventually manage a small caravan!

Car has been back to the dealers twice to try and find out what the strong burning smell is, you can smell it intermittently when you open the drivers door
Maybe you should stop doing wheel spins at the lights!!! :lol: Seriously though, it's not just hot tyre rubber is it? I've had that on a few cars.

I really dislike how easy this car is to steal

In the right (wrong!) hands I imagine most cars are pretty easy to steal. Make it one they won't want ...get a bright green one like I did :lol: Didn't really! ;)

I love cruising down the motorway at 79 mpg
I love driving round town at 64 mpg
I know, crazy. How?

I actually like the SatNav, so much faster at route corrections than my old TomTom
It is better than my last cars TBH. And thinking about it I think I'm happy to have a proper car sat nav (SD card) and use Waze on the phone if needed.

The car is very, very comfortable on long journeys
Agreed. The seats are like easy chairs!

I love Auto Hold, High Beam Assist, 360 Cameras and all the other gadgets you get on a N-Connecta
Indeed. Infact it was the 360 cameras that sold it to me. As I'm getting older my ability to park straight seems to be diminishing!! :shock:

Now I know, I'd say watch what you are doing when buying a Pre-Registered car and don't be blinded by the £9000 saving like I was.
Treat yourself to something you really want with the massive saving you made! :D