Hi from North East

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
Tion
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Tion »

Hi all

Just bought a 66 plate Qashqai tekna 1.5 manual.
Came with on 10,800 miles on it.
Lovely condition, however I’m having 1 problem with it.

I have searched the forums and come across another thread but need your advice.
When driving and you have the steering whee straight the car drives slightly to the right.
To have the car drive straight the steering wheel needs to be slightly left.

Now I picked up the car Friday from Bristol Street Motors in Sunderland.
The car came from Nissan Halifax and BS Motors bought it and had it delivered for me.
I’ve got 1 year warranty from BS Motors which I paid for.
I’ve had the car back to them this morning with above issue, they changed tyre pressure and told me it was sorted, I went out with a technician (Vauxhall trained) and he said at first it slightly pulled to the right however after he kept driving he said it was normal and blamed electronic steering.
Salesman then took it out and said it was fine.

I’ve had a friend who owns same type and year of Qashqai to drive it, he agrees there’s an issue.

I’ve spoke to Nissan and they want to charge for diagnostic as just outside manufacturers warranty.
I don’t want to pay anything considering I only picked up it Friday.

What do you all suggest I do ?
I’ve read in another thread the steering wheel angle sensor may need to be reset ?
There’s no lights/warnings on the dash
BS Motors said the tracking is fine
However I’ve noticed 3 of the tyres are Dunlop and 1 is continental so it appears one tyre has been changed at some point for some reason.

Help please

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Sounds like you need the tracking and steering geometry checking.

Start your discussion with Bristol Street with comments with respect to rejecting the car - that should focus their minds
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

10k miles is a bit low for this stuff...different tyres is a 1st alarm to me. Nissan did that to me with a Michelin with a different tread pattern. Steering wasn't impacted but I moaned at them badly! So what happened with the tyres/wheels? Which waster wacked it along the line?

Looking at the diagnostics for the J11 (Steering Control) I think "a mechanic" is going to have a problem where no warning light or error codes (DTCs) exist. Or that on detecting no system errors reported will need to perform standard mechanical checks on the state of the wheel and steering geometry. And possibly front to rear alignment.

Errors detected by the car should show the Power Steering warning light and default the steering to heavy manual handling.

In my unfortunate experience with the likes of BMW I've had to take an earlier car for laser alignment checks and setup elsewhere. And where it wasn't hidden from my view. That would be after the steering had been physically checked. Tyres are of course an issue.

If you are unsatisfied with the car ask/tell them to take it back. A bit of seriousness here could jerk them into properly checking your car.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Tion

Post by Tion »

Thanks both for the replies.

I think my next step is to contact a Nissan Bristol Street Motor dealership and try get the car in with them.

If no joy then I’ll mention I’m not happy with the car and want to hand it back as only had it 7 days.

Am I within my rights to reject the car considering it’s 3 years old and not brand new ?

I assume the one tyre that has been changed is due to a possible puncture ?
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Follow this link and while there follow this ...change your mind:

"Your consumer rights are different if you’ve changed your mind about the car and there’s nothing wrong with it".

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/buying-or-repairing-a-car/problems-with-a-used-car/

If they say there is no fault you should say I don't like it anyway...something like that. But get onto them quickly
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Tion

Post by Tion »

I’ll contact them today and see what they say.

Still going to ring Bristol Street Nissan and see what they say also.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Tion wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:58 am I’ll contact them today and see what they say.

I'd immediately suspect damage to the wheel...mine had been kerbed and scraped the wheel rim. These people want to dump anything on us and to me are fools.

Will be interesting to hear about their response.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Tion

Post by Tion »

calnorth wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:06 am
Tion wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:58 am I’ll contact them today and see what they say.

I'd immediately suspect damage to the wheel...mine had been kerbed and scraped the wheel rim. These people want to dump anything on us and to me are fools.

Will be interesting to hear about their response.

Wheels look brand new, no kerb marks at all, only noticed 1 tyre which is different brand so unsure what’s happened.
Tion

Post by Tion »

Just an update
Spoke to Bristol Street Darlington which is a Nissan dealer.
Mentioned Sunderland branch said nothing wrong with the car and tracking fine.
Told Darlington the Sunderland branch recommended I take it to them with it being a Nissan.
It’s booked in for Tuesday to be looked at free of charge.

Will update next week after they have checked it over.

If they tell me there’s nothing wrong looks like I’ll be rejecting the car as I’m not completely happy with it due to this one issue.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Interesting? See if they'll let you test drive a QQ of similar age.

Does your car have auto parking? I ask that because at low speed the car can control the steering. To me thats just an unnecessary complication.

When they finish you should get some documentation as to what they found...or not.
Last edited by calnorth on Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta