Hi from North East

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

You should never have different tyre specs on the same "axle" - the replacement should have been sourced the smae, or both replaced.

This may be a little biased but is largely founded in fact:

https://www.protyre.co.uk/news/may-2018/don%E2%80%99t-mix-tyres-across-the-same-axle-%E2%80%93-it%E2%80%99s-dangerous,-and-can-be-illegal

Can I mix different tyre tread patterns?
No. Mixing different tread patterns across the same axle is not allowed. The identical tyre model and tread pattern must be fitted for a single axle. You can, however, use different tyres on a separate axle – just as long as they too match each other.

That said, tyre experts – including Protyre, Continental, and TyreSafe – strongly recommend that you fit the same tyres on all wheel positions of your vehicle. Why? To ensure that you experience a consistent driving experience, without risking a diminished performance that often occurs when mixing tyres.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Here's Continental on the subject:

https://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/car/all-about-tyres/tyre-change-fitting/mixing-tyres
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

That site says:

However, if mixing becomes unavoidable due to a lack of availability or budget constraints, then it’s possible to mix tyre brands and tread patterns – but only so long as drivers fit a pair of tyres with the same tread patterns and brands across the same axle. That means installing a pair of identical tyres on the rear axle, or a pair of identical tyres to the front.

I thought I'd check the handbook - that has differing statements for two (presumed) and four wheel drive:

Two wheel drive (implied?):

When changing or replacing tyres, be sure all
four tyres are of the same type (i.e., summer,
NDI1480 all season or snow) and construction.

Four wheel drive:

Always use tyres of the same size, brand, construction
(bias, bias-belted or radial), and
tread pattern on all four wheels. Failure to do
so may result in a circumference difference
between tyres on the front and rear axles
which will cause excessive tyre wear and may
damage the transmission, transfer case and
differential gears.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Tion

Post by Tion »

calnorth wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:02 am Interesting? See if they'll let you test drive a QQ of similar age.

Does your car have auto parking? I ask that because at low speed the car can control the steering. To me thats just an unnecessary complication.

When they finish you should get some documentation as to what they found...or not.
Spoke to BS Motors where I got it from, they have a 14 plate diesel Qashqai in that they want me to drive and see if any difference between this and mine.

Either way mines still going to BS Nissan Darlington Tuesday to be checked. I’m 99% sure it just needs the steering wheel angle sensor to be reset and it’ll be sorted.

Either way I told the salesman I’m not happy and if it’s not sorted it will be getting rejected.
Salesman said it will either get sorted or they will get me another car.

So will have to see what happens.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Altogether looking very positive. Please keep us informed.

The action of the steering angle sensor influences at speed the ABS system and possible engine speed. That is a resultant signal via ESP (stability) to the ABS system to asymmetrically brake the car to prevent the car slipping sideways (azimuth). Obviously it has to have a reference point at front wheels true centering ahead +/- 3.5 deg. I don't yet know at what speed ESP actually kicks in.

The MOT inspection is to check electrics e.g ESP. For them its ESP warning light on or off. So unless that light is on the steering sensor is within spec but could be at an incorrect wheel alignment position. Dynamically tyre(s) could bias the rolling wheel alignment.

The Bosch system: (maybe same for Nissan?)

On the basis of the steering angle, the system recognizes the desired direction of travel. Speed sensors on each wheel measure wheel speed. At the same time, yaw-rate sensors measure vehicle rotation around its vertical axis, as well as lateral acceleration. From this data, the control unit calculates the actual movement of the vehicle, comparing it 25 times per second with the desired direction of travel. If the values do not correspond, the system reacts in an instant, without any action on the part of the driver. It reduces engine power in order to restore vehicle stability. If that is not sufficient, then it additionally brakes individual wheels. The resulting rotary movement of the vehicle counteracts the skidding movement – within the limits of the laws of physics, the vehicle remains safely on the desired course.

https://www.bosch-mobility-solutions.com/en/products-and-services/passenger-cars-and-light-commercial-vehicles/driving-safety-systems/electronic-stability-program/
Last edited by calnorth on Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Tion

Post by Tion »

calnorth wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:31 am Altogether looking very positive. Please keep us informed.

The only action the steering angle sensor can influence at speed is the ABS system. That is a signal via ESP (stability) to the ABS system to asymmetrically brake the car to prevent the car slipping sideways (azimuth). Obviously it has to have a reference point at front wheels true centering ahead +/- 3.5 deg. I don't yet know at what speed ESP actually kicks in.

The MOT inspection is to check electrics e.g ESP. For them its ESP warning light on or off. So unless that light is on the steering sensor is within spec but could be at an incorrect wheel alignment position. Dynamically tyre(s) could bias the rolling wheel alignment.
After driving the car yesterday on various roads there’s something I noticed.
So it feels like the steering wheel is fighting with the wheels position.
Also when you turn left and the steering wheel returns to the the middle through your hands/fingers.
However when you turn right the steering wheel does not return it simply stays put and you have to physically pull it back to centre which I find strange ?
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Other than tyres etc the other stupid trick was to re-position the steering wheel. Not saying this is the case.

From what you say about the right turn bias any other driver would easily notice it?
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Tion

Post by Tion »

calnorth wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:58 am Other than tyres etc the other stupid trick was to re-position the steering wheel. Not saying this is the case.

From what you say about the right turn bias any other driver would easily notice it?
Just been and drove the 14 plate Qashqai at BS Motors Sunderland.
This has 2 tyres of the same brand on the front and then 2 completely different tyres of the rear. P/S and D/S rear were both different brands.
Anyway took it for quick drive and steering wheel was straight and drove better as in straighter.
Didn’t have the pulling to the right issue or drifting the the right when steering wheel straight.
So they said take it into BS Motors Darlington which is Nissan branch and see what they say.

I did ask if it turns out just to be because my front tyres are different brands each side would they replace to match and they said it would have to be reviewed.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

There's nothing in the law about mixed brand tyres as long as speed rating/load etc are correct for the car. Not what the manufacturer says of course.

I don't think dealers are very smart when they stick any similar tyre on. And an argument does exist that tread differences etc and earlier use could compromise the stability of the vehicle in certain situations. Their review should address risk not bottom line.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Tion

Post by Tion »

Ok so here’s an update
Took car to Bristol Street Nissan in Darlington today.
They checked over the car and brakes as I asked them toZ
They agree there’s an issue and said it needed 4 wheel alignment. However they couldn’t do the alignment as didn’t have the equipment, they use a garage called store spot down the road.
I rang the Sunderland branch who agreed I would pay tyrespot and they would reimburse me.

So tyrespot explained they can only do front wheel alignment on Qashqai as rear is fixed.
So they straighten steering wheel and adjust front wheels.
Take it for a drive and said it’s spot on.
Took it back to Nissan and they reset steering angle sensor.

I asked them to drive it to ensure issue fixed, technician comes back and says still not right and still pulling to the right under acceleration.
They had it on the ramps and checked underneath and cannot see any damage or bent parts.

I spoke to Bristol street Sunderland who then say take it in and let them sort out. They will get there service manager to review it and take it from there.
So I mention I’m not happy and want to reject the car, they tell me I can’t and they have the right to fix it.
If they deem they can’t or it will cost too much they won’t fix it. Then we take next step but he didnt say what.

I explained I’ve only had the car 11 days and have the right to reject it but once again he states I can’t.

I got home and looked at service book, contacted previous owner who advised it was mobility car and had it 3 years. It passed mot and no issues. Drove perfect, asked about steering issues etc and they said none.
Asked why p/s tyre was changed and they said puncture and not repairable.

Where do I go from here ? I need advice
Thanks