Qashqai multiple issues!

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
andymoore85
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andymoore85 »

Hi there!

I hope you don't mind me joining the forum, I am not an expert on car mechanics etc so was after some advice!

I purchased a 15 plate Qashqai (15 plate N-TEC DIG-T) less than 2 years ago from a Nissan dealer.

In November the car suddenly developed an issue with the EGR valve. I took it back to the same Nissan dealer that I purchased the car from to take a look, and they had trouble finding the source of the issue to begin with, apparently they had never seen his problem before in the petrol model, but after a full system reset and cleaning of the valve they told me it was sorted. I picked the car up and got literally 10 minutes down the road before the EGR error came up again (limiting the car to 20mph), so had to turn around and take it back. All they could suggest was to completely replace the EGR valve, which they did. All in all it cost me about £1200 to fix the issue.

And then at the weekend, the clutch suddenly went :x . I have taken it back to the same dealer, who have quoted me £995 for a replacement clutch, and an additional £1060 assuming the fly wheel also needs replacing.

Over £3k in repair costs in less than 4 months for a car that is not old, and I'm only doing around 10k miles per year is absolutely mad!

My question is, do I have any grounds to lodge a complaint to Nissan and/or the dealer? I don't expect any kind of reimbursement on the costs I have incurred, but it's more about expressing my utter discontent/frustration at the number and significance of the issues I've experienced. I'd only ever previously owned cheap/basic hatchbacks but upon starting a family felt that it would be worthwhile investing more in a better and newer vehicle... how wrong I was!

Obviously I got a 12 month warranty when I purchased the car in April 2018, presumably I could have extended this but stupidly didn't do so!

Also, is circa £2k a generally expected cost for a replacement clutch and fly wheel? (I have left messages with a couple of local garages for alternatives quotes on this).

Many thanks in advance!

Andy

lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

The flywheel is a dual mass so ain't cheap you can get them cheaper aftermarket but they are not the exact same build quality.

As for the EGR fault if you have a 1.2 dig t they do not have an EGR valve. They use variable valve timing to leave exhaust gases in the combustion chamber which then lowers combustion temperature thus lowering NOX levels, as far as I'm aware that's what they do.

I'm not sure if the 1.6dig t has an EGR valve but I doubt they do most petrol engines these days use variable valve timing on both inlet and exhaust to utilise the EGR effect.i can check it has one if you want.