New member from Wakefield :)

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
Baldyian
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Baldyian »

Hi all, i"ve finally got round to joining after being a long time lurker .......well @18 months since i made the bad choice of getting a Qashqai :lol:

As with most of the posts on here, i"ve obviously joined for a reason ........Qashqai issues, well one i"ve been unable too sort out so far, along with the extremely limited knowledge of my local Nissan dealer :roll:

I hope this is acceptable in an intro post rather than posting in the Forum? MODs please edit etc as required.

My current issue with my 2017 Tekna 1.5DCI is that whilst driving when the lights are on in both normal or Auto modes everything works as intended. That is until i turn right.....the left headlight then turns too the right whilst the right headlight turns off! until the steering returns and the right headlight turns back on!

Sometimes the Warning "Headlight system fault" shows on the dash along with a "Beep" but not always.

This has been getting more and more regular over the last month or so and while being frustrating comes with the added risk of other drivers thinking i"m flashing them out of junctions etc etc when the headlight flashes back on and i"ve had quite a few near misses :o

I"ve been into my local Nissan service centre thingy and have shown them a video of the above issue and left an info sheet again stating the issue, obviously this made no difference at all and i was told all was OK ....."it"s working as it should" .....Yes whilst it"s stood but not when driving :evil:

I"ve searched online without success for this issue before wasting my time with Nissan and i"ve had to book into another dealer 30 miles away next week hoping they actually listen too what i say and sort it out, but obviously i"d rather sort it out myself and cancel my appointment.

I will add that no fault codes are being stored for this, and no work or damage etc etc around the right headlight area which might indicate a cause.

I"ll try and add a video link showing the issue (hopefully that"s acceptable ) and sorry for the long story

Regards Ian

lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

Hi Ian,
This is an interesting, would enjoy finding the fault on this if you were closer to me haha,

When you say there is no faults in the system, what are you using to check for fault codes. If it's coming up on the dash headlight system fault then I would think theres a fault somewhere.

Some aftermarket scan tools wont communicate with every module on modern cars so it is best to get this scanned with consult 3 plus to get an accurate DTC fault summary.

In the video it's hard to make out but is the right headlight also moving before it turns off? And also does the right headlight move when you turn left ? Does it move at all?

Has anyone been around the glovebox area by any chance? The adaptive frontlight system control unit is behind the glove box.

It looks like to me that as the headlight is moving its losing power or ground to the LED lamp itself. Might be something totally different though.
Baldyian

Post by Baldyian »

Thanks for the reply Lewis.

I"m using one of the Foxwell testers (which i can"t find atm?) only got that as the local Nissan garage denied there was any faults on the EGR system etc etc and i had to prove them wrong .....repeatedly!

The dash warning is random, sometimes it pops up, other times it doesn"t, and then it"s only for a split second.

AFAIK the right headlight does not move at all (that i can tell) I did suggest an adaptive headlight fault to the Nissan garage, who actually stated only the left headlight should move turning right !! ..... Sort of sums them up.
The "Technician" hadn"t seen the dash warning as the car didn"t move from the car park, and it only happens whilst moving weirdly enough.

No work done around the glove box that i know off but ill have a look around thanks.The only thing the garage seems to do is wash the car and ignore service items so i doubt they"ve done anything ?

In the olden days i"d have suspected loose wiring live or earth or the harness being pulled as only in that direction, but i"ve not had chance yet to start stripping stuff down to get to the headlight unit & wiring. As for Qashqais ....i have little faith in either build quality of dealer support so far :(

I thought it was bad enough having EGR faults and 2 batteries in 18 months without lighting issues added too the list.

Thanks again for you input/advice Lewis

Regards Ian
Baldyian

Post by Baldyian »

Update of sorts

On start up both headlights do the little wiggle dance to centralise.
Whilst stationary, when left hand lock is applied the left headlight turns left and the right headlight doesn't move at all.
When steerings turned to right lock the left headlight turns right, and again the right headlight is stationary!

I've had a look about checking headlight wiring erc etc and found nothing interesting and I decided not too remove the headlight as I don't fancy breaking all the cheap plastic retaining lugs off the
Front grill etc.

Obviously there's power supply to the headlight directional unit as it initialises on start up but I'm thinking more along the lines of it being a faulty adaptive motor ?

I'll see if Nissan Bradford have more luck on Wednesday

Ian
andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

Baldyian wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:52 pm Update of sorts

On start up both headlights do the little wiggle dance to centralise.
Whilst stationary, when left hand lock is applied the left headlight turns left and the right headlight doesn't move at all.
When steerings turned to right lock the left headlight turns right, and again the right headlight is stationary!

I've had a look about checking headlight wiring erc etc and found nothing interesting and I decided not too remove the headlight as I don't fancy breaking all the cheap plastic retaining lugs off the
Front grill etc.

Obviously there's power supply to the headlight directional unit as it initialises on start up but I'm thinking more along the lines of it being a faulty adaptive motor ?

I'll see if Nissan Bradford have more luck on Wednesday

Ian
you have cornering lights on your QQ then, i used to have them on my ford focus. you may find that the motor has broke, not sure if the whole light unit would need to be replaced though but you`ll soon find out next week :D
Baldyian

Post by Baldyian »

Hi Andy.
Yeah i initially thought that, but as both headlights do the initial wiggle dance on start up i"m thinking more along the lines of a Relay or switch fault .....possibly. Especially at the Headlight works fine until turning right above 10MPH

Looks like i"m stripping the front of the car down this weekend then :)

It"s a good job Headlights are so cheap lol
andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

Baldyian wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:40 pm Hi Andy.
Yeah i initially thought that, but as both headlights do the initial wiggle dance on start up i"m thinking more along the lines of a Relay or switch fault .....possibly. Especially at the Headlight works fine until turning right above 10MPH

i would not mess with it as your going to the dealers next week, if they notice that you have been tinkering with it they may blame you :o so i would wait and see what there verdict is
Baldyian

Post by Baldyian »

andy2019 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:41 pm
Baldyian wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:40 pm Hi Andy.

i would not mess with it as your going to the dealers next week, if they notice that you have been tinkering with it they may blame you :o so i would wait and see what there verdict is
That"s my only problem Andy, as the amount of cheap useless plastic clips are guaranteed to brake off :( They also stated a £99 charge for looking at it for non-warranty work :o

Whether a bust motor or relay is warranty work will shall see.

I"ve got motors popping up online @ £30. Headlights are slightly dearer :o and most of the 2nd hand ones all seem to have broken lugs.

I couldn"t care less about the Headlight turning, it"s the turning off and on bit lol

Regards Ian