Brand new Tesla Model S Plaid drives up hill while ablaze

The place to discuss everything else..
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

So...anybody thought about EVs in proximity to structure? Garages, Underground Car parks..EuroTunnel and so on:

TV pushing EV sales as though every other vehicle type don't exist. Waiting for the insurance folk on this one.

The madness rumbles on....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... arket.html
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta

DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Hi Colin, the wife raised this exact Tesla point early this morning and the subject of putting these fires out. As mentioned if this happens in an underground or multi-story god help us. You read now on a daily basis of fires due to batteries on E-V’s, Scooters, 2 Wheel Skate Boards, Mobiles etc exploding so it makes you wonder what prevention needs to be taken, keep your eyes open, be prepared, buy fire equipment etc Is it the Quality of the Construction / Manufacturer or a basic design problem ? The wife has now put the Ban on Charging any Battery / Electrical Equipment Over night - Dave 🥴

Colin, I suppose this really sums it up :
“The truth is, there really isn't any guarantee that an electric scooter will never catch on fire. The fact of the matter is though, almost anything that is powered by electricity is a fire hazard. This is especially true when safety precautions aren't taken to ensure this never happens.”

An Underground Parking Lot In Germany Bans Electrified Cars - Motor Illustrated : https://motorillustrated.com/an-undergr ... ars/70167/
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Hi Dave,
I'm not familiar with the design, development and production processes...should I say FIAMM here? The batteries are monitored but there's that what if....

I know little about EV battery stability other than the cheaper they get the worse things will likely be. Fortunately for me I've never had to depend on prime Battery power in my engineering life. I've seen dangerous events on military helicopter starting with 24v Land Rovers...in the field stuff.

Once those EV fires get going there really is no way of stopping it AFAIK....some luck maybe? Unlike current fuels that can be O2 starved.

ICAO banned battery air freight due to a 747 freighter crashing at Dubai some years back....batteries in hold fire. They are in the Dreamliner having suffered some "incidents" early on.

Electrical Energy itself is well understood, along with correct safety devices and regular inspection etc. I'm simply bothered about the "true occurrences"...incident numbers and data.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
QaiFan
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by QaiFan »

In most 'EV minded' countries fire insurance policy rates are going to at least double I guess.
Good luck to all people cherishing those 'ECO' EVs ... you may become meat on the upcoming big in-house BBQ !
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Saw this comment today: (a "denier" site of course...LoL)

mikewaite PERMALINK
July 2, 2021 8:55 am
“It is a well known, but very much under-reported fact, that EV’s can spontaneously combust and no-one knows why? ”

£767,000 and that, according to Zoopla, is the value of our suburban semi. Next door they have a new model Tesla and e-Golf parked , and recharged daily , in the driveway just a few metres away. Should we :-
a: sell up and move
b: Inform our insurers
c: build a wall of fire resistant bricks between the properties.

The business of Council reclamation is a case in point...Spontaneous Combustion. Fire near me (4 years back) of stored plastics/paper etc from domestic collections...fire for 10 days. About another 3 major similar fires UK wide for the next 3 years. Am sure Fire Dept must have advised and monitored this....but?
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Nick_Precision
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Nick_Precision »

I’ve seen more petrol cars on fire compare to electric, for obvious reasons. I don’t think that will be an issue in near feature.
The Tesla battery pack is very safe unit and controlled by very intelligent systems. It’s also enclosed. The problems come from all those auxiliary electronic components driven by electric motors.

However for me electric cars got it’s place on the market, but are highly overrated when it comes to sustainability and emissions.

In 10 years time majority of the battery packs will need reconditioning which cost $20000. That’s not sustainable!
Plus all the emissions generated to produce the rare metals used in electric cars…

I see myself another 20 years with petrol motor or hydrogen converted one…or maybe run on synthetic fuels or biofuels….
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta J11A