Just *how good* is the Qashqai?!

The place to discuss everything else..
supergrover

Post by supergrover »

Today I came by a load of free to good home wood briquettes for our open fire, and very nice too. What amazed me was that having piled about 250kg of the stuff into the back of the QQ, on my way home I STILL got 69mpg average on my 39 mile journey. Awesome. Mind you, I did have to adjust the headlight aim down manually because I haven't got a Tekna, which was distressingly inconvenient!!
1.5dci Acenta Black with Smart Vision and DIY Chrome Pack

Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Good for you mine was also without arguement the most economical car ive hadSo many say low 50s ive no idea how they drive as im not a slow easy driver but wait until you got 10K on the clock watch it realy creap up
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Donkey, this is my first oil burner. Are you saying that they become more economical as the mileage increases? Im on around 3k miles and getting low 50s just on a 3 mile chug into town, and 65-75 on motorway runs.
supergrover

Post by supergrover »

I find it difficult to believe that it's going to get any more economical than it already is... 5500 miles covered so far, and it's been barely sipping diesel since day one.
1.5dci Acenta Black with Smart Vision and DIY Chrome Pack
rm0rgan

Post by rm0rgan »

So, describe how you drive to achieve these numbers.

What revs do you use?

Are you super slow?

I drive fairly gently but only see 50/55 mpg on B roads and 60 on motorways but some days its sub 50 when I think I'm sticking at 70/75 on the motorway. I'm in 2000 miles so far
MJCQQ

Post by MJCQQ »

Mine is sitting at 52 MPG average according to the trip computer. I can get 65 MPG during my 20 mile (A road and motorway) commute to work in the morning and that is in fairly bad traffic.I would estimate the same trip without traffic will get me 70 MPG plus.1.5DCi
Wheelie Bealie

Post by Wheelie Bealie »

You need to keep below the magic 2000 rpm if you want decent mpg, I usually potter in to work (why would anyone be in a rush to get to work!) and can regularly hit 70+mpg, coming hom, yeah thats a bit quicker and hence the mpg drops off. I'm pretty much on 21,000 miles now and fuel economy is as my signature and I'm pretty happy with that
2014 1.5dCi Tekna (Manual)
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

The key to driving diesels is dont floor it unless thats the speed your doing drive to the gears of the carIf you change gears too early then you feel the engine struggle, Diesels like to be revved but not over revved, its diffrent from a petrol car these like a rev and noise lolNow my main key is when new as soon as possible and for at least 3K try and do long hot journeys but keep the revs up n down, if on dual carriageway then maybe (dont blow engine obviously) drop a gear or speed up slow down dont let the engine have a set favourite speed early in life, you rrunning it in even they technicly they dont need it so you want the engine hot and try and use all the revs this realy pays off later in lifeEver driven a company car or a demonstrator and wondered crikey this seems nippier than mine ?But keep an eye on air filters easy to remove shake out and replace or buy a new one for couple of quid, people think oil burners dont need the servicing of a petrol but filters and oils make a huge difference, if you drive a diesel hard you will burn a little oil so keep eye on itI know people who will argue a diesel not run in until 40k and i wouldnt argue with them but diesels are traditionaly a torquey high revving long distance engine bed the engine in nice n hot all the rev range and keep eye on oil and theres nothing stopping you changing the fuel and air filters (fuel filter may be a moderate level job but read up on it) but the air filter is mega important on our cars and always overlooked so every month get hoover out or an airline and blow the air filter out
rm0rgan

Post by rm0rgan »

[quote="MJCQQ"]Mine is sitting at 52 MPG average according to the trip computer. I can get 65 MPG during my 20 mile (A road and motorway) commute to work in the morning and that is in fairly bad traffic.I would estimate the same trip without traffic will get me 70 MPG plus.1.5DCi[/QUOTE]
This is similar to me - my Trip 1 is currently sat at bang on 50mpg since new over 2,000 miles so think this will climb slowly from here upwards. Tempted to reset it and see where it settles.
Deleted User 1552

Post by Deleted User 1552 »

My QQ has only done 700 miles so I am sure it will improve yet but already I am getting 50mpg around town and 60mpg on a run from the 1.6 CVT.I am very pleased with that