Premium jump after going on Speed Awareness Course

The place to discuss everything else..
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D

Donkey

Post by Donkey »

You know if you take extra learning say to be a HGV driver or a bus driver your premium also jumpsdespite having more training and more important more recent training (most of us not had instruction of any kind for decades) your premium goes upYou would of thought those taking more courses would of got a discount to keep skills freshOnly in UK could this happen
Kentishman

Post by Kentishman »

I believe the hike is because you were caught speeding, the penalty has nothing to do with it.
Tekna 1.6 CVT Nightshade
supergrover

Post by supergrover »

Why the hell tell the insurance company? I thought the whole point of the Speed Awareness workshop was so you didn't get points? If you keep your mouth shut and your licence stays clean, how are they ever going to know? Some people are just too honest, or have an overactive conscience, or are just plain dumb.
1.5dci Acenta Black with Smart Vision and DIY Chrome Pack
paulyoung666

Post by paulyoung666 »

[quote="supergrover"] Why the hell tell the insurance company? I thought the whole point of the Speed Awareness workshop was so you didn't get points? If you keep your mouth shut and your licence stays clean, how are they ever going to know? Some people are just too honest, or have an overactive conscience, or are just plain dumb.[/QUOTE]

Because if you don't and your policy states you should then they won't pay out if needed , that's not dumb , at the end of the day you have been punished for speeding whether you get points or a course , seems simple to me .....
supergrover

Post by supergrover »

But how are they ever going to find out unless you tell them? That's my point. The only thing dumber than saying "I've just been on a Speed Awareness course, will that affect my premium? " would be waiting til you've had a bump and then saying "by the way, I went on a Speed Awareness course and didn't tell you in case you put up my premium - this won't affect my cover will it?"...

I apologise if my tone offends anyone. It's not intended to. I simply speak as someone who was caught doing marginally over the limit by safety cameras not once, but twice, 4 years apart, and in both cases was offered and accepted a Speed Awareness course. I kept a clean licence and have no idea if I was expected to tell my insurers, but I didn't, and when I had a subsequent minor bump, had no problems with my cover. I'm pretty sure I was never asked if I'd attended such a course, only if I'd ever had points or convictions, which I hadn't. It was made clear to me on the workshops that the Police did not consider it that I'd "been done" but took the workshop instead of points, I'd taken the workshop so I wouldn't "be done" and the police weren't involved and kept no record of the fact. The question of why I still got flashed by a camera for exceeding the limit after having attended a workshop is another matter altogether! supergrover2014-11-01 09:46:09
1.5dci Acenta Black with Smart Vision and DIY Chrome Pack
paulyoung666

Post by paulyoung666 »

Fair point but nothing would surprise me with insurance companies to be honest ....
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Speed awareness courses are to help people keep their licences after being caught speeding....they are not an option to keep your insurance premiums down. If you 'speed' then you are a greater liability and should be penalised financially as such. Failing to declare anything that is requested by an insurance company is illegal and would invalidate any policy taken out with them. Some companies request details of speed awareness courses and some dont. Pleading ignorance is fraud.
kinelfire

Post by kinelfire »

Believe me if an insurance company gets a claim they will investigate everything, you going on a course will be a matter of record & will take no time at all to be revealed
Cafe Latte 2010 1.5 n-tec. then 2013 Black 1.5 360+2
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Id argue that point until hell frozen overThe point of the speed awareness course is not to keep your licence, you get one chance at it if you already have a clean licence its an educational program for those who are good drivers but made a mistake onceTheres not a driver on the planet who hasnt at some point exceeded the speed limit and not been caught be it from accident or not bieng aware of the limit changeInsurance companies are harsh n nasty and wriggle like a politician but end of day i doubt if they would appoint an investigator to check courses and if they do appoin that then chances are they will find few milimetres of tyre wear or an underinflated tyre etc that could be thrown at youJust think next time you arrange insurance cover could the insurance company if they wanted check your car riight there n then and find something, worrying about not getting paid out the last of your problems stop shopping for cheap insurance and get a company you know wont look for small print