Any IT guys in here?

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Some of you may know I am the sys admin for a medium insurance broker/reseller in Bolton. I have a project on the go to swap out our spam servers (long story, but we are not in full control of the servers, and the cost is quite high). I am looking at Symantec and Barracuda solutions however they just seem a bit meh in terms of filtering ability. I have a demo box in my home lab running away, but compared with Xeams (a free anti spam software), it just seems less than flexible. Xeams, and even our current solution works of by running through all the spam detector filters and gives the email a score. Even a whitelist will not prevent the email running through the rest of the spam checks, it just knocks a number of points off. All the points can be tweaked, and even custom rules can be created, such as body word checks using RegEx. Its great, and highly customisable. Barracuda spam firewall on the other hand, just seems less than flexible and some filters are "if I fail this, I must be spam..." rather than allowing it to go through the rest of the rules. Xeams for production use, I don't think is suitable or a mature enough product and missing a few features that we need. Its great for a small business but I think the mail volume we have it would just fall over. Does anybody know of a product that's similar and will allow filters to run all the way through and very flexible in configuration?

Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Splank try this forumhttp://community.spiceworks.com/topic/440637-opensource-spam-filterBarracuda is a system I know we used to use, its not flexible for an open scource file but that way it remained stableBut these guys are heavily into freeware and open scource
Deleted User 759

Does not have to be free or open source, just uber flexible enough so over time it can be tweaked to our needs. Xeams is close in that it has that ability, but lacks certain enterprise functions (TLS seems flakey, and there is no force TLS...)
supergrover

Post by supergrover »

I always wondered why some of my work emails have "Spam Score n%" in the subject line. I guess it's from one of these programs. All Greek to me!
1.5dci Acenta Black with Smart Vision and DIY Chrome Pack
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

I love open scource and that forum is full of people finding there way around everythingIn fact its Kudos for them, and they helpful Open scource is normaly easier to tailor to your needs filter wise, downside nowadays is a lot of it also has hidden agendas lurking away but then the paid programes also have itOn that forum its all about the Kudos things like this will be gobbled up
Spinal

Post by Spinal »

I used to work for symantec in their consulting division.By symantec, I presume you really mean BrightMail (the product they bought and integrated). It was really quite a nice solutions, and the cloud-nature of it means that you don't have the added cost of servers/power/etc.They used to have some guarantee as to 99.9999% accuracy, though not sure if that's still in place.If you want, I've got some friends over at the big yellow, sure I could ask one of them to call you/drop you a demo.M.
Deleted User 759

there are 2 Symantec solutions, email.cloud which is 100% data centre driven, then there is the Symantec Messaging Centre which as you rightly point out is a BrightMail app. The latter either comes as a VM machine, or an appliance bit like the Barracuda Spam Firewall.I have a supplier already sorting a demo out for the .cloud solution, but I think it may end up going the same way with the lack of flexibility when it comes to point totting up rather than "if it hits this filter, block, if it hits that, block....) At the moment, I am heading towards suggesting renew what we have already but I really REALLY don't want to!
Spinal

Post by Spinal »

TBH - I never sold Symc products, so don't know them in much detail, so can't really answer questions as to how it does the blocking/points system (I do cybersec strategy & architecture - i.e. I tell clients they need an antispam solution, then hire someone to actually find & deploy the right one, or pass that to a colleague to do) .If I can help, let me know.M.
Deleted User 759

Ta Just installed Messaging Centre... already not liking it and that's before I have even sent any email through it lol!
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

We run Cisco ESA appliances (formally Ironport).I look after about a dozen such devices and we handle millions of mails per day.Depending on your needs they may be worth a shout as they do baby versions too.I think they also do a "cloud" service and i know one of our many business units offers a similar service via our boxes but it's not very "hands on" from a customer experience.I guess it depends on what you want to do / how involved you need to be.Edit: Let me know if you have any specific requirements of the platform and i'll let you know what the boxes are capable of.
AlleyCat2014-11-25 13:03:54
Nissan no more...