Bloodhound Supersonic Car

The place to discuss everything else..
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Here is an updated report from CNN on the British attempt to reach 1000mph.

It has a jet engine, a rocket booster and travels on a set of aluminum wheels? It's the Bloodhound SuperSonic Car (SSC) and it has plans to hit the world land speed record at 1,000 mph - Dave

It is made of titanium, carbon fiber and is designed to go faster than a speeding bullet, the Bloodhound SSC has been painstakingly put together and tested over the better part of six years. In 2016, the UK-based team plan to take the 42-foot (8.9m) vehicle to Hakskeen Pan, a dry lake bed in South Africa, for a crack at the record breaking attempt.
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Got mine and my daughters names printed on the tail fin as Christmas presents.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

That is a very positive gesture ! Is this all tied in with part of a sponsor deal connected with these effort ? - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/support-us#formhought it would be nice to be part of history
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

I love the engineering that has gone into this! The fact that they have to use a F1 based V8 Cosworth engine to power the fuel pump for the rocket is insane!
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

It's predecessor Thrust had a Jaguar support, super fast fire chase vehicle. [TUBE"]]GT4PZS2bkHM[/TUBE"]]http://www.thrustssc.com/thrustssc/Equi ... aguar.html
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Wheelie Bealie

Post by Wheelie Bealie »

Had the opportunity to do some design work on this, but unfortunatly due to the way it's funded you arn't guaranteed regular pay, you get paid when Richard Noble can get funding, if I'd have been single with no kids etc I would have jumped at the chance of working on this, unfortunatly with a Mrs WB, Squealie Bealies and a mortgage I need some regular pay. Cool thing is, this is only just down the road from where I work, I do know the Aero guy and I got myself and my lad an 'after-hours' tour round the building and design offices (had an informal interview at the same time, hence where the chance to work on it came from).
2014 1.5dCi Tekna (Manual)
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Wheeled Bealie, being an Engineer it is always nice to get involved on the Research & Developement side of a Project. But as you mentioned the pay is most probably on the down side, hours are long, stress is there, Project timing is critical and then you have the Family & the Wheelie Bealies to house, feed and support. So the decision is normally made for you - The Family comes First ! - Dave
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

gvmdaddy, as you are a keen sponsor of this Project you are most probably aware of this modification. "The Bloodhound car which could set a new land speed record of up to 1,000mph has had to be given a bulletproof coating. Any flying debris from one of the wheels will be travelling so fast that extreme measures had to be taken to ensure the vehicle's safety. Panels made of woven glass fibre have been fitted to both sides of the cockpit which can withstand the force of chunks of aluminium flying off at speeds of up to 2,200mph". - Dave
http://news.sky.com/story/1444233/bulle ... ch-1000mph
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Funny you should mention that today, as I was just reading about the manufacturing process for the wheels a couple of hours ago!