eCall

The place to discuss everything else..
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Thought that some of you might be interested in what is coming along from guess who - "The EU" although this time worthwhile - Dave
To help reduce serious road accidents across the EU, the European Commission in 2013 adopted two proposals to ensure that, by October 2015, cars will automatically call emergency services in case of a serious crash. The "eCall" system is an emergency call system which is integrated into vehicles and in the event of a serious accident the eCall system establishes automatically an emergency call directly to the nearest emergency services (normally the nearest 112 Public Safety Answering Point, PSAP), thereby carrying both voice and data. After it has been triggered the in-vehicle eCall dials 112 (European emergency number, E112 wireless call) and sends details of the accident to the emergency resuce services: time of accident / accurate position / direction of travel (especially on motorways & in tunnels). An emergency call can be generated either manually by the vehicle occupants by pushing a button or automatically via activation of in-vehicle sensors after a crash.
I havejust read and it was stated in "Autobild" Car Magazine that on the 4th Dec. the EU decided to allow more time for manufacturers and a new date of April 2018 has been agreed for the eCall to be installed into all new vechicles.

http://ec.europa.eu/commission_2010-201 ... all_en.htm
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

It was only a matter of time. Its been used in the USA and Canada I believe for a number of years. Factory fit, not sure about aftermarket.
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

It's probably a good idea and will benefit everyone in the long term. I also think they should fit recording cameras in all new cars as well. If you see some of the footage taken from mine over the last few months you would not believe the bad driving and manners around you every day, and it would obviously help in accident claims.
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

gvmdaddy, you are absolutely correct about this type of system being available in the US. We rented a GM Chrysler Traverse SUV AWD in 2013 and in 2014 our US friend bought a new one with all these "Bells & Whistles" in and the system is quite impressive but does cost when you buy it. What was impressive was the Navi System, just dial OnStar, tell the Call Center where you want and in a short time it is on your Navi.
Here is some info' on what is available for GM products for your interest - SOS/Security/Navi/Hands Free Calling/Diagnostics - Dave

https://www.onstar.com/us/en/home.html
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Hi Jon, I always had the impression that in Germany Dash Cameras were not allowed due to Data restrictions. I found this comment which I beleive has been translated on the German situation - My question would be are the comments similiar to what applys in the UK - Dave

http://batteryroofer.peaksmaker.com/201 ... y-allowed/
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

Interesting subject Dave. I suspect our laws are much the same as the translated bit above and as is pointed out, whilst personal liberties are a factor the reality is a little different. It's fairly obvious that getting the permission of the individual would be just about impossible. That assuming they could be recognised, in any event such 'evidence' would only be used in the case of an accident or misdemeanour and it's certainly admissible in our courts having caught out more than a few idiots driving in stupid positions at well over 100mph - mind you they posted their own evidence in most cases!
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

What next in the US this has got to be a joke, but then it is the Land of "Drive Ins" and my friend visited Dunkin Donuts on every trip we made together - Dave
Now we are really talking Hi Tech !

General Motors plans to start offering discounts to drivers using the "OnStar" system a perk that will include offers at Dunkin Donuts and Priceline.com
The Service dubbed "At Your Service" will be offered to OnStar users in the US & Canada starting in early 2015. OnStar is GM's in-car information service, provides navigation tools and other services.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/04/autos/g ... index.html
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

In the recent weeks there have been comments here on a BMW Car that crashed and overturned on an Autobahn and could not be seen with two persons trapped inside. Due to this eCall system being installed the Emergency Services were automatically alerted and rescued the persons. I hope this is of a Safety interest for the future - Dave :)

I first raised this point on eCall in Dec 14 and it now seems that this 112-based eCall System will be introduced mandatory from 31st March 18 on all new vehicles of Types M1 and N1 (passenger and light duty vehicles). This 112 or eCall automatically dials Europe‘s single Emergency number 112 in the event of a serious accident.
This is not a „Black Box“ and cannot be used to monitor vehicle movements.

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes/i ... n/ecall_en
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Just a update on this E-Call System. It now appears that Bosch have produced an E-Call "Plug In" Device TEP120 that can be plugged into a Cigarette Lighter Socket. As stated previously this System is suppose to be introduced into new vehicles from 31.03.18. Hope this is of interest Dave :)

ecall_res_800x450.jpg

The Bosch TEP120 Telematics eCall Plug from Bosch Connected Devices and Solutions. This smart sensor device is designed for crash detection and the analysis of driving behavior. The user-friendly advantage of this product is that the plug fits into a 12V outlet of any passenger car.
Benefit from Bosch’s best-in-class technology and profit from various integrated functionalities in a small frame. You can choose between the following options:

- eCall functionality & driving behavior determination
- eCall functionality only
- Driving behavior determination only

eCall functionality : Increase a driver’s safety and help accelerate roadside assistance with the functionality of the retrofittable eCall. With its hyper-accurate integrated acceleration sensor and built-in microcontroller, the eCall detects the severity of a collision. The advantage? Quick and professional help, whenever it’s needed.

https://www.bosch-connectivity.com/prod ... call-plug/
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

THis eCall System should be coming into effect so it might help to ask if your New vehicle has this as a Std - Dave ;)
The European Parliament / Legislative Observatory (2013/0165(COD)) : In April 2015, the European Parliament and the Council found an agreement on this proposal that provided for the mandatory fitting of 112-based eCall in-vehicle system on all new types of M1 and N1 vehicles from 31 March 2018 onward.

Category M1: Vehicles designed and constructed for the carriage of passengers and comprising no more than eight seats in addition to the driver's seat.
Category N1: Vehicles designed and constructed for the carriage of goods and having a maximum mass not exceeding 3,5 tonnes.

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes/i ... n/ecall_en