Black Box Insurance

The place to discuss everything else..
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

We are Insured through VHV which is one of the Bigger Insurance Companies out here in Germany and we have just had our revised cost for 2016 which is €486 (341 Pounds) which is Full Ins. based on 9000Kms / Year for a couple of "OAP's". Now at the weekend it was mentioned that the VHV were going to offer the use of the "Black Box" System - Big Brother is watching you !. Do any of you members in the UK either use this System or have any comments on it - Thanks Dave ;)

This attachment appears to cover most of the points :

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-ins ... insurance/
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

I don't, but I work at an insurance company which is developing an insurance product based on telematics.

Rather than a black box we are using a mobile app from a 3rd party (rather than us developing one) which will feed us the information.

Although not perfect, that will have been factored in vs the complexity of having a network of installers to install the boxes and to then remove and make good.
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Personally i wouldn't touch insurance of this type if i could avoid it.
If it was purely used for insurance purposes and i didn't think it would be used to "stack" the already loaded deck some more then I'd probably not be bothered.

My somewhat cynical mind believes that once it gets enough traction in the market place it will be a "wedge" device.

So Initially it will be for insurance.
Then it will be sold to marketing companies who will spamvertise you based on your travelling patterns.
Then the government will decide it's a wizard way of tracking people and insist it be retained under some variation of "RIPA" to protect us from "threat of the week".
Then it will be compulsory in all new cars even if the insurer you are with isn't using it.
O and finally it'll auto fine you for breaking the speed limits.

I wish i didn't half believe what i just typed.
I'll put my tinfoil hat back on now.. :)
Nissan no more...
Wombleman

Post by Wombleman »

Tekna
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

That's completely different to insurance telematics though.

Although, yes they share similarities, that's where it ends. The system in that case was an automated system that will call an incident center automaticly if the car detects its in a crash. Its automated as it does not know if the occupant is conscious or not. It did exactly what it was supposed to do and they were able to locate her. Being arrested is a separate incident because she drove off!

Telematics for insurance, at least at the moment wont be used for anything else other than allowing the insurance company to rate you accordingly.

I suppose the information could be used as evidence either for, or against you if the police decide to start snooping, but if that's the case either it will get you off the hook, or you have bigger troubles anyway!

Oh, and if you own a modern phone, tablet or laptop, you 'personal data' is being sucked away from you right left and centre anyway!
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

This is a comment I read last week in Germany in the Press on the Plans of the EU to implement this system and I have now just read this from the Beeb - Dave ;)

Technology that can automatically notify emergency services in the event of an accident will be compulsory on all new vehicles sold in Europe from April 2018 under the European Union's eCall initiative. The EU says this will significantly reduce the response times to crashes and could save hundreds of lives a year.
A "black box" can be found in millions of cars globally, now that more and more drivers are choosing so-called telematics insurance policies. These devices, that monitor speed, acceleration, braking, cornering - all aspects of our driving - are helping insurance companies weed out fraudulent "crash for cash" and personal injury claims, potentially saving the industry billions in losses every year. This system gives a complete understanding of a crash, even if only one vehicle involved has the technology: Telematics provides a much deeper set of data. As claims account for about 80% of insurers' costs, being able to examine them forensically to determine liability and whether drivers are making fraudulent claims.
Telematics also allows the insurers to become aware of a crash as soon as it happens. The boxes are usually connected to a vehicle's diagnostics port under the bonnet or plugged into the 12-volt power socket in the cabin. If the device detects a G-force above a certain level it automatically triggers a call to check if the driver and any passengers are unharmed, or alerts emergency services if needed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35840407
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

This makes interesting reading, are we already being watched by for instance Nissan - Dave :)

http://dailym.ai/2FGJaAe
Mad Maru
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Mad Maru »

DaveBerlin wrote:This makes interesting reading, are we already being watched by for instance Nissan - Dave :)

http://dailym.ai/2FGJaAe
Dave, I’d say we are as whenever I’ve had a loaner from the dealership I’ve been advised the loan car will message the dealership to advise if driven in excess of speed limit & if I approach any ports. I asked how & very little info was given other than use of the sat nap and a device that their insurer demands they use. As I know former courtesy cars are sold on the kit must be easily removable or deactivated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

This article is not really „Black Box Insurance” related but interesting never the less - Dave :)

Car of the Future will sell your Data : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -your-data
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Yesterday there was a report on TV on a customer complaining about the Data from his vehicle a Mercedes B Class that was being collected by MB. I found it really amazing what data is being collected, I then found this article from the US 05/2018 which actually mentions Nissan - might be of some interest Dave :)

FE20E024-A86E-44D9-86D0-190BC6BD41FA.jpeg

1F33B457-2998-4BA4-97B9-182CB61437CF.jpeg

https://www.consumerreports.org/automot ... -collects/