Best thing for squeaky clean plastics?

The place to discuss everything else..
craigstekna

Post by craigstekna »

Howdy!

As the subject implies, skid plates arrived today and want to make sure the damn thing sticks in place, what would you recommend for making sure the bumpers are squeaky clean for the best adhesion?

I was thinking of washing with a bit of fairy and then a going over with some isopropyl alcohol. Thoughts?

In other news, has anyone fitted aftermarket skid plates? Seems a lot of force and bending is involved :/
J11 - QQ 1.6 130 Dci Automagic Tekna, Pearl white, Sept 2014 :D FULL LED upgrade to all interior/exterior lights, china crossover pack, mud-flaps, sill guards and hood deflector

daddydoug
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by daddydoug »

Hi

I took delivery of my Qashqai a couple of weeks ago and fitted skid plates almost immediately. I cleaned the surface they were adhering to with some isopropyl alcohol wipes that I got off e-bay for a small price. They seem to do the job perfectly as the skid plates are fixed tightly in place. I didn't have too much trouble fitting them although it is really a two person job (see, the wife does come in handy sometimes). We lined them up, I used a small power screwdriver to drill the holes and that was it. The front one was trickier as you might find you can't get a screwdriver between the bumper and the ground. Luckily I have a Z shape screwdriver which did the job without having to jack the front of the car up.

I have also fitted door sill tread guards (front and back), chrome speaker surrounds, chrome side streamers, and chrome rear reflector surrounds.

Hope you get on okay with fitting.

Doug

Mag Red 2015 QQ Tekna 1.6 Dci cvt
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)
craigstekna

Post by craigstekna »

Aww thanks, unfortunately I just dropped her off at the airport :(

So from what I can see, the rear uses the existing 2 clips and 2 screws. I haven't looked at the front but what I did notice was when I line it up earlier the skid plate is 90 degrees but the bumper isn't so you have to put a fair amount of force to get the holes to line up. Did you also find that? I bought them from amazon for I think £100 as opposed to the £300 Nissan ones.

I have plenty of isopropyl so that will be my choice for cleaning.
J11 - QQ 1.6 130 Dci Automagic Tekna, Pearl white, Sept 2014 :D FULL LED upgrade to all interior/exterior lights, china crossover pack, mud-flaps, sill guards and hood deflector
buzzer1926

Post by buzzer1926 »

Hi.
I used Isopropol to clean the bumpers and added a lot more double sided body moulding tape to fit mine, assisited by my son to line them up and fitting the screws and clips provided.. they fitted perfectly
Nissan Qashqai (J11) Pearl white
craigstekna

Post by craigstekna »

buzzer1926 wrote:Hi.
I used Isopropol to clean the bumpers and added a lot more double sided body moulding tape to fit mine, assisited by my son to line them up and fitting the screws and clips provided.. they fitted perfectly
No force required? I'm wondering if I need to return these, if they should just line up perfectly without having the press the crap out of them then I think I have a problem with mine :(

Ill post some photos tomorrow for feedback if ya'll don't mind
daddydoug

Post by daddydoug »

Hi

No I didn't have to use any force to fit either. As you say, the rear one has four screws, the front one the same if I remember. I got mine from eBay as recommended on a post on here, they were £90.
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)
eveles

Post by eveles »

can you please tell me what you eventually did with the installation of the chinese skid plates as i have exactly the same problem now with mine!!!! i am waiting for your reply and until then i wont bother to install them!! :? :?

thanks a lot :D
daddydoug

Post by daddydoug »

Hi Eveles

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your skidplates. I don't know if Craigstekna ever got his fitted or whether they ended up in the bin. I'm wondering, as you are having problems fitting them, if they have warped or got damaged in the post from China? I can honestly say mine were as easy as anything to fit and they still look as good as new after nearly 18 months on the car.

If Craigstekna doesn't respond to this thread, maybe you could personal message him, if you haven't already done so.

Good luck.

Doug
eveles

Post by eveles »

they were not damaged and the more i watch them the more i am starting to believe that they are deliberately made like this so as when you fit them they are snug fit
craigstekna

Post by craigstekna »

sorry for the late reply, i did get them fitted with a bit of brute force, seem to be working out fine :)