Toxic Particles inside Cars (Pollen Filters)

The place to discuss everything else..
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Just thought this was another interesting article that is raising concern and should be brought to light, something I have never really concerned myself with except changing of the Filter. I hope it is of interest - Dave ;)

At present the daily problems are with emissions from Diesel Cars, now another factor is being mentioned (UK DailyM & Germany Auto Mag) and that is the subject of toxic particles inside cars. Apparently we inhale 10million toxic particles per breath while sitting in the car. Air inside new models is found to be up to ten times more harmful than that on the pavement. These particles are so tiny, as small as 23 millionths of a millimetre and they are invisible but long-term exposure is very bad for driver’s health. Micro-organisms can accumulate inside the car cabin, potentially multiplying to concentrations of between 5 to 8 times higher than normal. Such a high level of bacteria inside the vehicle can lead to a range of health problems including irritated mucous membranes, watering of the eyes, headaches, nausea, asthma and allergic reactions.

All of these issues are potentially avoided by fitting a quality cabin air filter. But regular replacement is equally essential in order to ensure continued efficiency. Pollen cabin air filters supposedly stop all particles smaller than 1 micron, such as bacteria, pollen and exhaust gases. This “Pollen stop” effect captures even the smallest allergenic particles, including those that may not be stopped by nasal hairs or the mucus in the upper respiratory tract that could enter the lungs provoking asthma and allergies. When changing it is also important to disinfect the Filter Body to get rid of any mold, bacteria, germs etc. Failure to change the cabin Air Filter regularly can cause clogging which prevents bacteria and pollutants from being filtered effectively and can also inhibit the flow of fresh air, causing difficulty with de-icing, fogging up of windows and passengers feeling tired faster.

Nissan recommend for the QQ that the Pollen Filter is changed every 24 months or 40,000 Kms. At our last Service the cost was : Part #272774BU0A €27,51 / Labour €6,99.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... h-car.html

http://www.fram-europe.com/en/news/regu ... iency.html
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Dave, I believe for most cabin filters there are 2 versions, standard paper or charcoal activated which is more.
Not sure if Nissan offer choice.
Changed on my wife's car recently (non Nissan), as we were getting condensation inside car.
Hers was relatively easy to change (under w/ wipers, accessed via engine bay), but I believe on the QQ its more challenging.
https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/nissan/qa ... ompartment
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/corteco/76251 ... 0wodYNMErA

Couldn't find any J11 appropriate videos but if same as J10, lot on you tube.
One below is for the Rogue which may be similar:
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Gel, correct about the Filters the one I have mentioned from Nissan is the Carbon version hence the price. It supposedly has 3 layers with an active Carbon layer between two layers of non woven fibers which should stop odorous and noxious gases - Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

The toxic danger inside our cars - Dave :(

Pollution inside a car can be worse than on the pavement - It acts as a gas chamber, trapping nitrogen dioxide (NO2) and soot-like particles. Especially when you're stuck behind the exhaust of the car in front.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/business-419 ... e-our-cars
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

The J10 was a pain to do, did it twice OK though.

But I've read on the J11 it is really easy, it just slots in somewhere down to the left of your pedals.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Found a video online. Need to reverse for UK cars, but looks a lot easier than the J10..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzBwFWLS0Do
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Chrisw99, the reason for my post was not the Internal Nissan QQ Filter but this new Developement tested by the Beep. I have dug in a little more and this appears to be a nice piece of Kit for People with related Breathing Problems - Dave

What I meant from my Post was this new Airbubbl System not a QQ Internal Filter. This appears to be a new interesting Filter Developement for Cleansing the Internal Areas of vehicles as an addition to the existing Manufacturers Filter. It appears that Manufacturing will start in Feb 18 and Shipping in April 18. For people with Health Problems (Prevention) such as Asthma / Lung Problems / Kids etc it seems to be positive to eliminate or minimise the gases being pumped into the vehicle. It appears orders can be placed with discounts (prices are in the web info’) now with deliveries in 18.
“Air quality is worse inside your car” - Sophie Power is worried about her 3-year-old son’s lungs and says studies show that lung function, if damaged early in life, cannot be repaired later. Now she’s developed a device called Airbubbl that filters polluted air inside vehicles.

Unbenannt.png

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/42001355/air ... e-your-car

Airbubbl: Creating the first pollution free zone in your car
Nitrogen dioxide levels can be 10 times over the legal limit inside your car. We have created the first proven technology to clean it!
The Airbubbl is light and portable and is easily attached to your car.
The Airbubbl works by drawing polluted air from inside the car cabin into the middle of the unit which houses Airlabs’ proprietary filtration technology and our highly effective particle filter.
Clean air is then released back into the car directly to the breathing path of the driver and all passengers using Airlabs' patented airflow design.
The Airbubbl removes Nitrogen Dioxide, particles, VOCs, bacteria, and odours from inside your car.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/56 ... ee-zone-in

Unbenannt1.png

Unbenannt2.png

Most people know that air pollution levels can be high beside roads, but few realise that they are often far worse inside vehicles themselves. This is because nitrogen dioxide and particulate matter from the exhaust in front is drawn in and circulates a toxic mix of chemicals inside our car cabins. Our search has shown that the levels of nitrogen dioxide can be 20x over the WHO limit, impacting our health and especially the health of children. While some cars have effective particle (HEPA) filters, there is currently no technology to effectively protect against nitrogen dioxide levels in a vehicle.
The Airbubbl. is the first effective technology that removes Nitrogen Dioxide and all other pollutants from inside vehicles.
After 10 years of atmospheric chemistry and airflow engineering research at Airlabs, we have created the first proven technology to remove nitrogen dioxide from polluted air. With Airbubbl, we have adapted this technology to fit inside a car, removing both particles and nitrogen dioxide. Designed to go around your headrest, the Airbubbl. draws in polluted air from the air system and releases clean air back into the cabin using our proprietary circulation method which ensures all passengers breathe clean, healthy air.
The Airbubbl filter is most effective across 800 hours of driving. This means that we recommend changing the filter every 6-12 months depending on amount of driving in traffic (for example: 2 hours of driving per day in a polluted area would require a new filter every 12 months.)
Replacement filters (£50) will be purchasable from the Airbubbl website and Amazon. The filters will be easy to swap in and the old filters can be sent back to us to be recycled.

Unbenannt3.png

https://www.airbubbl.com/

Hoefully this might be of Interest ! :)
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

YouTube installation video above is very hard to see; needs a light source in cabin!
I believe this one for US Nissan would be similar to J11's.

and you can see what's happening :)
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D