Cyclists "Dooring"

The place to discuss everything else..
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

One thing that frightens me when driving are Cyclists (not all are dangerous). Here there are plenty of Cycle Ways which are not 100% used, what my concerns are no helmets and the opening of car doors. This is a daily occurrence and a couple of weeks ago a Diplomat opened his door in Berlin on a bike and the guy died the next day, CD no prosecution.
I tend to look for movements with regard to drivers actions like opening doors from stationary cars. I took a look around and basically found a simple technique from Holland which is taught from day one where a driver (LHD) reaches over with his right hand (obviously the opposite for RHD) to open the car door, which forces him to turn his body, look over his shoulder (providing no medical problems) - and hopefully see any oncoming cyclists.
Just a few more ideas found hopefully not too boring - Life is better than a Death ! Dave :)

https://www.outsideonline.com/2115116/s ... ists-lives

Audi A4 - Animation exit warning : The exit warning is activated when the new Audi A4 and Avant stop moving. If other vehicles are approaching from behind, it warns occupants as they open the doors. The system warns drivers by means of LED fiber optics in the inside door-opening mechanism (contour lighting).

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/aud ... rning-2859

Kiekert's system, marketed as i-protect, uses sensors to prevent doors from striking nearby vehicles and objects. Kiekert says the sensors electromagnetically activate a door brake to stop the vehicle's door from striking and denting the vehicle in the adjoining parking space, or hitting a parking meter or a garage wall. Cycle warning System being worked on.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016080 ... or-latches

AR-308039995.jpg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Cyclists aren't the problem, drivers are. A quick check in your door mirror is all that's needed before you open your door. No need for fancy gizmos.
Billgo

Post by Billgo »

When you fold in the mirrors this leaves you blind to cyclists or cars coming from behind. The auto door locker which I got from China and fits into the OBD socket flashes the indicator lights when opening a door giving some warning to anyone approaching from behind. I am not sure how effective this is, or if people would pay heed to the flashing indicators.

QQ 1.5 dci
2014 QQ 1.5 Dci.
2019 QQ 1.3 Petrol. Manual
Rob74
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Rob74 »

Billgo wrote:When you fold in the mirrors this leaves you blind to cyclists or cars coming from behind. The auto door locker which I got from China and fits into the OBD socket flashes the indicator lights when opening a door giving some warning to anyone approaching from behind. I am not sure how effective this is, or if people would pay heed to the flashing indicators.

QQ 1.5 dci
That's why I have my mirrors set to fold on locking/unlocking, well that and so I can tell if I remembered to lock the car [emoji23][emoji23]
2017 1.5dci Tekna ink blue
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Me also - Dave 😊
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Rob74 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:16 pm
Billgo wrote:When you fold in the mirrors this leaves you blind to cyclists or cars coming from behind. The auto door locker which I got from China and fits into the OBD socket flashes the indicator lights when opening a door giving some warning to anyone approaching from behind. I am not sure how effective this is, or if people would pay heed to the flashing indicators.

QQ 1.5 dci
That's why I have my mirrors set to fold on locking/unlocking, well that and so I can tell if I remembered to lock the car [emoji23][emoji23]
me three
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
RVW

Post by RVW »

^^
J11-2016 QashQai Tekna 1.5dci Magnetic Red
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

All you have to to is look! What did drivers do in the 60's, 70's 80's, i think u get the idea. How about if people looked, then there would be no problem. The standards of driving are terrible, as are some cyclists skills.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Daewar, absolutely agree with you looking & "Turning" is a must. Looking here means using mirrors and turning your head the problem being is if you can. When you look at the number of older drivers around (I ain't young) but people are now living longer and most need mobility. At the end of the day Drivers and Cyclists are all at fault. So really at the end of the day if all these new innovations make driving safer then I am for it - Dave ;)
In the US we have friends 80 > 90 that can hardly walk and are in my opinion not mobile but drive Limos. :x
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Just come across this new concept which is a device called the „LifeSticker“ that attaches to the door mirror of old or new vehicles and it blinks to warn when a cyclist is approaching. There is already the orange light on the mirror to warn of the blind spot area when driving so this is an addition device to warn before opening the door. The planned cost is only €2 which must be a bonus if the device gets past the concept stage and is produced - Dave :)

https://semcon.com/lifesticker/