Merc with i key theft caught on video

The place to discuss everything else..
Jeet
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Jeet »

interesting read DaveBerlin. It's amazing how all this advanced technology can work against you. I might be wrong but a 'Ghost' immobiliser would/should eliminate starting the engine as you still need to input a code via the buttons on the multi-function steering wheel. Admittedly they can still get in the car, but at least it wouldn't be stolen. What do you think?
Upgraded from J10 Tekna to J11......let the fun begin!

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Here is another article of the Key Coping mentioning the „Faraday Wallet“ with some advice - Dave :)

5B8EE631-170F-4D1A-BBCE-74BE974E4CB5.jpeg

http://dailym.ai/2AWpOaM
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

This Feature has been mentioned before as an Option but now it looks like it is hitting the Press. I can remember using these things on my first Mini in 19?? :lol: - Dave ;)
Sales of steering locks DOUBLE as drivers go low-tech to beat today's technologically-advanced car thieves.

Thieves are making off with cars by using new devices called locking jammers, which work by blocking the signal sent to a car by its key when an owner is trying to lock it. Another gadget used by criminals is a relay box, which searches for a signal from the key inside a driver's house and transmits it to the second box next to the car. The car's locking system is tricked into thinking the car key is unlocking it, allowing access to the vehicle.

472FCD6500000578-5164683-image-a-20_1512919144545.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... OUBLE.html
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Here are just a few ideas to get the Brain 🧐 working on this revival and option of Steering Wheel Locks etc...... - Dave :)

UK Steering, Wheel Locks etc : https://www.bobatoo.co.uk/blog/car-secu ... g-devices/

USA Test (available on Amazon) : https://theZ8.com/top-5-best-car-steeri ... s-reviews/
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Our „Themis Security“ Wallet is still functioning great for our QQ Key Security. I have just found another (there must be several now) called „Key-Block Pro“ from Heyner-Pro priced at €12,95 if of interest - Dave :)

http://m.heyner-pro.com/index.php?p=sho ... FID+Schutz
tophat57

Post by tophat57 »

I've been told by my dealer, and the manual backs this up, that the key needs to be no more than 3 feet from the Vehicle to operate the doors. And from my experiments it seems to true. I'd also say that the car doesn't like the key being outside the door when the door is open. (Standing with the door open and the key in your pocket, the car won't work).

Now, my keys are kept well away from the front door, or back for that matter, and in an old tobacco tin with the same effect as a key wallet, but the ease with which these cars are being stolen seems to indicate that these relay boxes have a much longer range than the car's own sensors. Allowing the signal to not only pass through the walls of the house, but also the distance from the key to the door. It it starting to get ridiculous now, how much more proof do manufacturers need that they need to act on this issue.
Facelift J11b N-connecta 1.6 x-tonic in vivid blue. And a dual accelerator for my dodgy foot..........
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Well it looks like „The Wise Guys“ are now broadening their scope for stealing cars. Just learned today after handing our Key with the Key Protection to our Service Guy that our Dealer has had some new unregistered X-Trails Stolen over the weekend plus some other Nissan Dealers in and around Berlin. Our Dealer is now assessing his Security Procedures for storing Intelligent Keys - just a warning Dave :)
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

It ain’t getting any better. Just another „Heads Up“ on Intelligent Keys, it looks now like there are other priorities for these thieves, now stealing of the less expensive cars - Dave ;)

https://dailym.ai/2G8GShc
Sandgrounder
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Sandgrounder »

As per your recommendation ages ago, Dave, I purchased a couple of the shielding/blocking cases for my keys.

When I had my old QQ, I went into the settings and turned off the keyless/I-Key Door Lock settings (Vehicle Settings > Unlocking > I-Key Door Lock > now unticked). The first thing I did when I picked up my new QQ was to turn off the keyless entry via the menu. Whether it will prevent this sort of worrying incident from happening, who can say? :?
DaveBerlin wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:07 am It ain’t getting any better. Just another „Heads Up“ on Intelligent Keys, it looks now like there are other priorities for these thieves, now stealing of the less expensive cars - Dave ;)

https://dailym.ai/2G8GShc
Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Previously: 1.2 N-Tec DIG-T 115 J11A ~ Blade Silver (Nov 14-Sep 17)
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Sandgrounder, that is a good Tip - Thanks Never thought of that ! It might be well worth following this up as an extra prevention if it in fact does prevent a „Brake In“, but then it is back to a key Job. But you cannot win all of the time - Dave :)