Electric cars/ batteries

The place to discuss everything else..
Mark46

Post by Mark46 »

The problem with electric cars is that it's just a different way of destroying the planet, it's taken decades for the UK to get to a point where lead acid batteries could be recycled successfully after they had expired, the ground must be full of them.
Many countries still have no means of recycling batteries at all, especially for the more modern types of battery i.e lithium ion and for the few countries that have thought about the problem it was very much an after thought.
https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable ... -recycling
If there isn't any profit in it then it's not worth doing attitude, as got to change.
While every decision made by government and big businesses and people who come up with these so called "green" ideas are motivated by profit and greed then nothing will ever change...............that is until the sea is lapping at the steps of parliament because the polar ice cap has melted and the plastic in the sea has choked the life out of what was in it and began to poison us too, the forests have disappeared along with what lived there and there is nothing left in the ground to mine, only then will someone get serious about "green" but it will all be too late.
So with all that in mind and before the world turns to s*** (long after I'm gone) I strongly recommend we all enjoy what is left of the good old internal combustion engine and all the fun and freedom it brings with it. Noise, speed, control, revs, gears you can even steer it yourself........awesome! So go and burn up the last of the diesel and petrol before they ban it and have fun doing it.
I am currently looking into swapping my boring diesel QQ ( that the government told me to buy, funny that) for a performance car to do all the above and more and to get the best of the last if you know what I mean.
I am also going to stock up on 2 stroke oil before that dries up then I can complete the restoration of my Yamaha 2 stroke motorcycle and give it a good thrashing to burn as much oil as I can buy, smells great!!!
Merry Christmas!!!
QQ 2014 (64) 1.5dci n-tec+ (gun metallic)
DRL mod & mud flaps.

Post by 298 »

Lithium batteries are finding a second life as power walls in domestic or commercial applications, so it's not like they even need to be recycled....which is easy enough to do.

As for car performance, one of our cars needs endless stick-stirring and about a weeks notice if you want to go faster. The other has a steering wheel and a pedal to go and another to stop. It has also taught me what a reversed front image of a lot of performance cars look like as that's all I see in the rear view mirror....
2014 1.2 DiG-T Acenta Premium in Gunmetal Grey.
Mark46

Post by Mark46 »

I’ve not heard of knackered car batteries being used in Power walls, anyhow I thought that once a battery had expired it had to be recycled or disposed of?
QQ 2014 (64) 1.5dci n-tec+ (gun metallic)
DRL mod & mud flaps.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

This has just arisen over here also, I suppose the question is whether the construction is similiar on other manufacturers vehicles or whether this only affects the VW Group - Dave :o

The VW Group has confirmed that it might have to recall up to 124,000 electric and hybrid cars produced in the last six years as they all contain a poisonous metal. Production of a number of electrified models from VW, Audi and Porsche has halted since the high-toxic metal cadmium - which the National Cancer Institute says can increase the risk of lung cancer - was found in charger components.
Last month, VW confirmed it was in discussions with the German Federal Transport Authority, Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt (KBA), over a potential recall. It means that any electric and hybrid VW model built from 2013 up until a month ago may have to be returned to dealers so the material can be removed and disposed of safely.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/a ... metal.html
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
switchback

Post by switchback »

Same old anti-electric drivel that's been churned out before. I've got an electric car (Renault Zoe)and after driving that, the Qashqai feels like a clanky old steam engine. Electric is the future.http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/connect ... -1-5630543
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
Bgmick
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Bgmick »

298 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:48 am Lithium batteries are finding a second life as power walls in domestic or commercial applications, so it's not like they even need to be recycled....which is easy enough to do.

As for car performance, one of our cars needs endless stick-stirring and about a weeks notice if you want to go faster. The other has a steering wheel and a pedal to go and another to stop. It has also taught me what a reversed front image of a lot of performance cars look like as that's all I see in the rear view mirror....
So what happens when efficiency drops below threshold for a power wall ...... it still need recycling no ?

I love being a dinosaur , no noise, vibration, smells make for a very dull drive/ride the world got dull without two stroke bikes, going to be a sad day for me when there are no more internal combustion engines.

I'm Still young enough tho that I will probably get to see the next u turn when electric vehicles are the reason for the appocalipse and something else becomes the favourite :lol:
2013 jj10 4wd 1.6 dci
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Switchback, do not take my information the wrong way I have driven E-Cars and they are unbelievable and last year we spent time driving E-GoKarts in Florida very fast, fun and much cleaner.
The reason for my comment is that VW is mentioned here in the Motoring Press weekly OK we are in Germany (even after the Emissions scandal) and this week there is a plan to introduce new models in 2020 and electric seems to be the priority.
When you look at the speed that China is introducing new models with partnerships then we in Europe need to catch up. You can rent E-Rollers here, there are E-Scooters coming a Test this week priced from €100 > €5000 but not allowed on the roads here yet (ideal for Lidl and back :roll: ). Then we have the E-Bikes which are great and the faster Pedelec’s and also the Smaller E-Cars, so things are really happening in the Fast Lane. Soon it will be a Big decision on what to buy - Dave :D

9ACC88C1-FF24-49FA-A4F7-59B75EA7E372.jpeg

switchback

Post by switchback »

Bgmick wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:37 am I love being a dinosaur , no noise, vibration, smells make for a very dull drive/ride the world got dull without two stroke bikes, going to be a sad day for me when there are no more internal combustion engines.
Being a life long petrol-head I thought the same until we tried one. The performance is amazing and it seems to instil a sense of calm and relaxation to the driver giving a really "chilled out" drive. As the old saying goes "Don't knock it until you've tried it". For days when I want something from the past I drive my Grinnall Scorpion but you just can't beat an electric for everyday use(depending on your daily mileage requirements). Ours is mainly for local use.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.