Nissan to quit Diesel Sales in Europe

The place to discuss everything else..
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Nissan is to quit Diesel Sales in Europe, things are beginning to get more and more serious in the Motor Industry - Dave ;)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... san-toyota
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Perhaps mine will become a rarity in due course!
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
tophat57

Post by tophat57 »

Another unnecessary knee-jerk reaction.

And again plug-in's are touted as the saviour of the world. But still nothing has been considered for those who do not have the facility to plug in these vehicles. Those who don't have a parking space off the road, outside their front door. Or live in a block of flats. Or work nowhere near a charging point, and have a boss that doesn't want to increase their electricity bills exponentially by providing free electricity for their workforce to be able to get to their jobs. (Or do employee's end up paying their employers back for coming to work and charging their cars?).

And then there are the issues of supply. There simply isn't enough capcity in the electical grids of the world to be ble to supply a "mass switch-on" of electric vehicles. (We only just have enough generation capacity for the current requirements, as no one wants to have so much spare capacity sitting idle witing for something that doesn't currently exist. And these things don't get built over a nice weekend of weather.

And the issues of the materils required to produce these vehicles. I won't labour over those again, but they're NOT good.

The only viable alternative to fossil fuels and internal combustion is hydrogen. But that isn't an option because of the lack of infrastructure. Something else that doesn't get built overnight. And something that requires massive mounts of electricity to produce in the first place.

Stop making diesel the demon and focus on getting at reducing the emissions.

The fuel economy alone sells diesel, petrol simply cannot compete. And I'd be interested in what the sales figures of the 1.2 petrol version of the QQ are like. Personally, I think the for the size of vehicle this is way too small and under powered for the job. And the mpg isn't as good either.

I can do a 50 or so mile trip (not using any motorways) in my 1.6 diesel in a little over an hour and get over 50 mpg. I know that i couldn't do that in 1.2.
Facelift J11b N-connecta 1.6 x-tonic in vivid blue. And a dual accelerator for my dodgy foot..........
Geordieman

Post by Geordieman »

I agree with all you say about battery cars. There is also the production of the batteries to consider, the materials used which will eventually become rare and that they also have to be replaced at a high cost every three or four years. Then how will the millions of dead batteries be recycled? Enormous cost again and not easy to do.
I have the QQ N-Connecta CVT 1.2 and find it very good. It is better and quicker than the Kia 1.6 auto I had previously. Consumption is also better and on a 120 mile journey I can get over 40 mpg. I have never owned or even driven a diesel so can't compare.
2020 Tekna 1.3 DCT Auto, Pearl Black, Pan Roof, Heated Screen, ss door sills, Chrome door handle covers, ss Reg Plate frames, Gas Bonnet struts, chrome wheel nut covers, black side protection strips.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Tophat57 / Geordiemann, I read these two articles on Lithium recently and thought they might be of interest to you both - Dave :)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... h-with-ipo

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... new-supply
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

I'm on my second 1.5dci car, the fist was a Juke (not quite enough passenger space)
On three days per week I commute to Keele University from Stockport.
Motorway there (99% of the time trouble free despite the reputation of the M6 road works in Cheshire) and the on-board computer tells me the that the motorway segment gives me 65mpg (70+ this morning, don't know what the difference was).

The run home is usually the A34, which around here is country roads, some through small towns, etc. plus a few miles of dual carriageway. The computer tells me I'm getting 62mpg.

I know these on-board computer numbers have to be taken with a little caution but significantly better than the 1.2 turbo number and any comparable hybrid.

Brim-to-brim on a run (to Norfolk or Cornwall, etc.) I get low 60's mpg

There never seems to be an allowance for the environmental impact of battery production in these comparison articles.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Here are the facts (from the dailym) basically only over the Nissan Sunderland Plant, it is sad but as usual in the end who will suffer the Workers - Dave ;)

https://dailym.ai/2FQMqYS