Possible new U.K. Law

The place to discuss everything else..
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

tophat57
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by tophat57 »

So make sure you have your own dashcam installed, so that when an angry cyclist reports you to the police because they're wobbling all over the road, you can prove you weren't at fault. Pity cyclists don't have a registration plate too. That way we can report them for jumping traffic lights and riding 2, 3 and 4 abreast while they chat. I'm not anti cyclist and always give them room, but it does seem that the rules of the road don't register with most of them.
Facelift J11b N-connecta 1.6 x-tonic in vivid blue. And a dual accelerator for my dodgy foot..........
switchback

Post by switchback »

There are bad cyclists and bad car drivers............but not "most of them".
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
scimitargtc

Post by scimitargtc »

Er as far as I recall it is not illegal to ride 2 or more abreast with rule 66 of the uk Highway Code, itself an approved code of practice (ie accepted best practice) rather than a legal entity in it’s own right, simply advising cyclists not to do so. True though there are poor drivers and poor cyclists I think that’s what’s called “LIFE”
2016 1.6 xtronic tekna diesel 130 bhp
1998 4.6 v8 Range Rover petrol auto 225 bhp
2019 Skoda Citigo 1.0 sel green tech 5 dr 75 bhp
2009 Vauxhall Astra Twintop 1.8 petrol sport 2 door 138bhp
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

So you think you have a problem in the UK, take a look at this if you have time or can even remember it. There are also now Bicycle Police being more used in Cities due to incorrect actions like riding red lights, wrong footpaths etc - Dave :)

http://bicyclegermany.com/german_bicycle_laws.html
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
tophat57

Post by tophat57 »

Like i said im not anti-cyclist, but this is one example. Its acrually been mistitled (or titled by someone who does not understand how roads and traffic laws work).

The cyclists are in a lane clearly marked as "left turn only", yet seem surprised that the HGV maintains its course and follows the road ahead. The cyclists seem to think that, although there is NO ahead lane for them in their position, they are free to move across and expect that an HGV (who cannot see them on his near-side in that position) to move out of their way. The HGV is NOT in the wrong here.

This is one example, by there are thousands of others on youtube and across the web. Probably as many as there are examples of bad driving.

My issue with cyclist is that they seem to imagine that rules don't apply, rules are flexible, rules are there to be broken. They are by far the most vulnerable class of road users, and SHIULD be given space, but they also need to play by the same set of rules that they want everyone else to stick to.
Facelift J11b N-connecta 1.6 x-tonic in vivid blue. And a dual accelerator for my dodgy foot..........
Mr_FX

Post by Mr_FX »

If the cyclist wants room on the road then they must pay road tax like us drivers we have to pay it but they dont but want all the feckin room on the road and they should be insured as well. How many bikes hit cars and it is the car driver who has to claim on their insurance.
switchback

Post by switchback »

I'm insured when riding my bike and I also pay road tax for the car that I'm not using when I'm riding my bike.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
J0nnyb0i
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by J0nnyb0i »

tophat57 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:03 am Like i said im not anti-cyclist, but this is one example. Its acrually been mistitled (or titled by someone who does not understand how roads and traffic laws work).

The cyclists are in a lane clearly marked as "left turn only", yet seem surprised that the HGV maintains its course and follows the road ahead. The cyclists seem to think that, although there is NO ahead lane for them in their position, they are free to move across and expect that an HGV (who cannot see them on his near-side in that position) to move out of their way. The HGV is NOT in the wrong here.

This is one example, by there are thousands of others on youtube and across the web. Probably as many as there are examples of bad driving.

My issue with cyclist is that they seem to imagine that rules don't apply, rules are flexible, rules are there to be broken. They are by far the most vulnerable class of road users, and SHIULD be given space, but they also need to play by the same set of rules that they want everyone else to stick to.
That's quite ridiculous. I can understand the lorry driver's frustration. Cyclists are most definitely in the wrong here, don't misunderstand.

But do you not reckon the lorry driver could've seen at least one or two of the cyclists who were the furthest ahead and maybe stopped?

Scary stuff watching this video!!
tophat57

Post by tophat57 »

No, because in the blind spot of an HGV from that position he has no idea how many cyclists were there trying to undertake him. It could have been the whole tour de france for alll he knew. Cyclists are REQUIRED to abide by the same rules of the road as motorists and motorcycles. There is no special dispensation for ignorance, arrogance or stupidity.

Like i said before, its is scary, yes. And there are as many videos of drivers doing stupid things as there are cyclists. But that doesn't get away from the fact that as the most vulnerable road users, cyclists need to follow the rules! For their own safety as much as anything else.