BIGREP 3D Motorcycle

The place to discuss everything else..
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

The subject of "High Technology" was touched on on the post below (2014-18) but it appears a lot of the data has vanished, therefore a new post. Hopefully this Technology is of interest especially for the Bike Riders here - Dave :)

Old Post : viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1477&p=55688&hilit ... ogy#p55688

BigRep, a German manufacturing company, has created the first prototype of its 3D-printed, e-Motorcycle "NERA" providing a glimpse into the future. It is the world's first fully 3D-printed and fully functional electric motorbike and though it isn't currently manufactured for customers to purchase the Berlin-based company hopes the prototype showcases the potential of 3D printing.
Weighing just 60kg the bike boasts several futuristic features, including airless tires with customizable tread, programmable embedded LED lights, customizable seat and chest rest and the visually striking rhomboid wheel rim.

181219123215-nera-motorbike-4-exlarge-169.jpg

nera.jpg

CNN Report : https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/20/moto ... index.html

Company Data : https://bigrep.com/

Just a 3D manufacturing example : https://bigrep.com/posts/world-first-3d ... ycle-tire/

NERA, a fully 3D-printed motorbike designed by NOWlab, the innovation arm of German additive manufacturing company BigRep, has been unveiled with futuristic visuals akin to the Batmobile and the vehicles in Blade Runner.
Billed as a "world first" by the company, all parts of the Nera electric motorbike, excluding the electrical components have been 3D-printed, including the tyres, rims, frame, fork (which connects the front wheel and axle to the frame) and seat.
The vehicle was designed by Marco Mattia Cristofori and Maximilian Sedlak from BigRep's innovation lab, called NOWlab to display the firm's ability to use new materials and techniques and is not yet for sale.

Pics from BigRep
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

I'd have to say a bike weighing only 60kg would be attractive. There's quite a difference between my previous Bandit and the present MT-07 - and the latter still weighs 180kg !!!
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

The bike, made by BigRep, took three days to print and cost about £2,000 ($2,600) to produce. Take a look at the 3D Printing Technique - interesting Dave :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46894072
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Dave, thanks for the pointer to the article, always appreciated.

I'm assuming the suspension/engine is standard stuff and deliberately hidden under all those bolt on panels that are aesthetics only. So essentially its the frame that was 3D printed, as a lot of the stuff u see is just eye candy for Si-Fi nerds. Its a start I suppose.

Just re-read a little. Its got 3D printed tyres, lol. I would suspect its the wheels that are 3d printed, if its the tyres, then you're going to be limited to about 20mph for safety or maybe things have really moved forward with this area?
DaveBerlin wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:48 am The bike, made by BigRep, took three days to print and cost about £2,000 ($2,600) to produce. Take a look at the 3D Printing Technique - interesting Dave :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46894072
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

It says:

Billed as a "world first" by the company, all parts of the Nera electric motorbike, excluding the electrical components have been 3D-printed, including the tyres, rims, frame, fork (which connects the front wheel and axle to the frame) and seat.

Check out the picture above - it's a honeycomb wheel not a conventional pneumatic tyre.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Daewar, as far as I understand the Wheel + Tire is an integral part ie One Part 3D Generated. I thought I posted this before but take a look at the Bicycle Wheel / Tire Video as this should identify how it is done.
Correct ! a lot of the stuff engine, batteries are hidden under the 3D Panels which fit snugly in the Nera’s printed customizable case.
The Nera combines several innovations developed by NOWlab, such as the airless tire, functional integration and embedded sensor Technology. I am a great admirer of some of this Technology that is now appearing, many as Concepts but with great ideas and sometimes high costs - I hope this helps Dave :D

NERA_E_BIKE_3Dprinted_resize_md.jpg

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Dave,

I really do hope this works, but chances are there are many things that can put a halt to the idea of printed airless tyres. There have been many ideas/inventions and as of today none of them is used on our current cars or motorbikes, so I'm not going to be holding my breath.

For me, I think its the durability of the plastics for the wheels. Chances are they will fail quite quickly as you can see in some of the videos.

]

DaveBerlin wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:05 pm Daewar, as far as I understand the Wheel + Tire is an integral part ie One Part 3D Generated. I thought I posted this before but take a look at the Bicycle Wheel / Tire Video as this should identify how it is done.
Correct ! a lot of the stuff engine, batteries are hidden under the 3D Panels which fit snugly in the Nera’s printed customizable case.
The Nera combines several innovations developed by NOWlab, such as the airless tire, functional integration and embedded sensor Technology. I am a great admirer of some of this Technology that is now appearing, many as Concepts but with great ideas and sometimes high costs - I hope this helps Dave :D
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Daewar, Thanks for those interesting videos from Bridgestone there appears to be lots of developement going on which is positive. It does look like that perhaps for Low Speed Vehicles Cars, Bikes or Green Cars, it might work but again I suppose these Wheels are Concepts, but with the correct Developed Plastic Spec that can bend, twist, take shocks etc it could well work, I suppose we have to wait and see - Dave :)

https://www.pellonautocentre.com/bridge ... ree-tyres/