Driving Abroad Post-Brexit

The place to discuss everything else..
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

This might be worth a read for Travellers to Europe which Brexit will change if it happens now - Dave 🤨

Here's everything you need to know about driving abroad post-Brexit. Do you often drive your own car abroad for holidays or work? If so, there's a lot changing around the rules you'll need to know and documentation you have to carry once the UK's divorce from the EU is finalised.

https://mol.im/a/6734137
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Wev'e been there before but for emissions. I have taken driving tests twice in Germany and that was in the RAF. Both required a multiple country vote for Joe theory paper and the first a physical proficiency test (Trucks/L.Rovers) when I didn't have a UK Licence. Second go was when I had a UK licence, so that document was obviously acceptable to all of Europe then (1970's and on).

Green card and passport...old hat stuff. I'm waiting for a blue passport anyway.

My UK insurance for Fully Comp includes Europe cover now....think thats default?

Emissions.....dunno really. Its the kind of thing that puts me off Europe.

Anyway, if the EU wants to create more problems my guess is we won't?
Last edited by calnorth on Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Calnorth, I posted this just to bring these points to the attention of Members that possibly do not have the time to read such articles due to work. It is highly possible many have booked their trips / holidays which includes travelling to the EU or through it after some sort of Brexit decision - Dave 😉

It appears you know it, but the point is Green Cards might well be back, 27 Mio Medical Insurance Cards EHIC are in question, International Drivers Licenses, Passports EU or Blue are all being mentioned and IMHO need to be checked out before travelling but all depends on how this Brexit Plan goes “Deal” or “No Deal”.
Regarding your “German” 🇩🇪 License it still looks to be valid 👍

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... is-no-deal

If the UK leaves with no deal, your EHIC will no longer be valid.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44850972

D680402A-EF6C-4DD0-A7C1-A92188E4418C.jpeg

72EA388E-28EA-4760-B425-C1E5FE236268.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
nick99

Post by nick99 »

UK government advice in link. It would appear that as well as all the other things some number plates will be illegal and if you have an accident in Europe you will be on your own in trying to sort it out.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to- ... dentifiers
2017 J11B Tekna+ 1.2 petrol
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Nick, good that you read this and dug in, it looks like a little more Organisation is required. This Government Data ain’t bad, us “Brits” in Berlin are getting regular updates on the Brexit changes and there is a lot to read and keep up with, but worthwhile - Dave 😊
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Dave, wouldn't it be the case that:

1. No Deal: We follow current EU driving regs for non EU visitors/residents
2. Deals Various: Continue as normal EU membership...for driving

And there needs to be a good time period for ex EU folk to catch up with systems that can't cope.

My son is conducting his annual pilgrimage to Le Mans and on to Bavaria in May-ish. Along with a bunch of english/dutch loonies in muscle cars. I'll see what he's doing about this mess now.

I never had a Führerschein...just a British Forces Driving Licence (BFDL) and latterly a UK licence and BFDL. Those were good for most European countries although were risky as were only in English. German insurance companies accepted those docs.

Cheers

Colin
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

IDP's available at many Post Offices by the way @ £5.50
https://www.postoffice.co.uk/internatio ... DP-Checker
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Gel, have you read the attachments above ?, this is mentioned on the first Mail Report and many others - Dave 🤨
nick99

Post by nick99 »

A lot is made of whether the UK gets "a deal" or not. This however solves nothing as it is only the key to unlocking the transition period. Whatever happens in the next 5 weeks, if we get "a deal" it will have bearing on the final requirements for UK drivers on the continent.
2017 J11B Tekna+ 1.2 petrol
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Just a few more facts on the possible Brexit Driving License Issue - just informing Dave 🙂

Driving after Brexit: What you need to know : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47459859