Speed Limiters for New Cars from 2022

The place to discuss everything else..
RVW

Post by RVW »

gloucester wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:12 pm

I'd have to say I've occasionally turned the manual speed limiter on and found it to be pretty pointless. Might as well just use cruise control.
The problem with cruise control is in speed limited areas it will try to keep you at your selected speed. As soon as you brake because traffic slows down it will disconnect. Whereas speed limiter will allow you to vary your speed up to selected limit and down to a stop until you disconnect it yourself. So is far less stressful ,you do not have to keep fiddling with the buttons.

I use limiter in motorway speed restricted areas and strange towns . Find it useful.
Also you can override it by planting your foot down which is also useful.
J11-2016 QashQai Tekna 1.5dci Magnetic Red

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

This has been around for some time and looks now that actions are taking place. I wonder if Nissan will follow on - Dave 🤨

“After EU agreement, it is proposed that all new cars will be fitted with a speed limiter from 2022. ISA, also known as Intelligent Speed Assistance is one of the many safety measures to become mandatory in European vehicles after the European Commission gave their approval.
Renault has confirmed its plans to restrict the top speed of all of its new cars to 112mph from next year the brand will follow in the footsteps of Volvo by introducing speed limiters on all new Renault and Dacia models from 2022.”

Speed Limiter - all new cars to be fitted with one from 2022 : https://www.cartell.ie/2021/02/speed-limiter-new-cars/

New Renault and Dacia models to have top speeds limited to 112mph | This is Money : https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/art ... 12mph.html

New Renault and Dacia models to have top speeds limited to 112mph : https://mol.im/a/9512583
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
RVW

Post by RVW »

These automatic speed limiters as described are supposed to be GPS driven so if it detects a speed limit and you are exceeding it it will automatically slow you down.
All well and good but it will require the road infrastructure being kept bang up to date.
Our qashqai has a speed sign indicator and selectable limiter. But on numerous occasions on a motorway that has had road works with a 50 limit, the speed indicator flashes up 50 when the restrictions have been removed for weeks. So potentially dangerous.
Also when one road crosses via a bridge the same thing can happen. The lower road restricted to say 30 whilst the road you are on is say 60.
So a lot of work is still needed
J11-2016 QashQai Tekna 1.5dci Magnetic Red
QaiFan
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by QaiFan »

If ever they implement this speed limiting tech in an urban environment traffic in some streets will come to a stand stil.
Many areas in my country have a < 20 miles/hour limit and if you have trafffic from both sides of the street with parked cars it may take ages to pass through it if your car does not allow an instant swift acceleration.
As others have pointed out ... it may also create hazardous situations were people used to be at work on the road and limitations are no longer there, other cars are speeding but yours is acting like a snail.
The future (of cars) is not bright at all !
Technology is killing any joy we had when driving.
Where are the days of that nice V6 engine that still roared when I wanted it to !?

BTW the QQ J12 Tekna+ 6 MT I have on pre-order, luckily, does not have that Pro-Pilot stuff.
I would surely not call that 'feature' PRO at all ... what true driver would like to bet his life on those 'auto-braking' features ?
I can still hold on to the wheel and the brakes myself ... thank you.
Last edited by QaiFan on Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

DaveBerlin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:08 am
New Renault and Dacia models to have top speeds limited to 112mph

Looks like Suzuki are ahead of the crowd - my car is already limited to 100mph! :lol: :lol: :lol:
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Think in Cyprus they nearly always did it...to 50 or something similar. Likely for visitors perhaps?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Gloucester, Nice One 😂😄 - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

QaiFan, Ref your comment on the ProPILOT System, have you actually tried the System ? If not then give it a try just to experience it.

When we ordered the Tekna + this was included and I was anxious about using Auto Driving against Manual Driving, although you have to have your hands on the S. Wheel. After an initial Test Drive with our Sales Guy that put me through the ropes with Distances / Overtaking / Braking / Hands Off Steering Wheel & What Happens - Auto Braking ! It all seemed to function OK. The only criticism I have is the Steering can get a little confused trying to stay in the Centre of white lines it moves slightly as a corrective centering action.
I use this System only on stretches of Motorway and it seems to be perfectly Safe, but the Manual Driving still is the way to Go ! - Dave 😉

New Nissan Qashqai - ProPILOT :
QaiFan
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by QaiFan »

Hi DaveBerlin, thank you for the information.
Sorry, I know it sounded quite negative, but I think both of us come from a time when driving a vehicle was considered to be fun or at least we did not have to feel
guilty to drive ... ourselves and still enjoy the ride !
These days speed cameras and trajectory control make us all feel like criminals ... even on a highway and without any car in sight.
I do know this automated driving grows on us ... my son wouldn't like to be without all those driving assist systems nowadays.
To me this assisted control is all new and soon I will learn to live with it too (I guess) and may even get used to it.
BTW Dave, I do envy you for still being able to drive at virtually unlimited speeds on your German highways !
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

QaiFan, OK it is different driving on the Autobahns with Open Limits even in a QQ regarding the Speed Limits. It is most likely very enjoyable driving a Sports Model Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, etc...but also it can be very dangerous and you do have to keep your wits alive as in seconds things can happen so fast, especially when your stuck in the outside lane - Dave 😉
“When driving in Germany, you need to drive like a German – at least like the good German drivers. That means not only knowing the rules (official and unofficial), but adapting to a different style of driving. Europeans, Germans in particular, have a more aggressive approach to driving.”

This is worth a read as it just highlights the Autobahn dangers - take a read ! 👍
Driving on the Autobahn | The German Way & More : https://www.german-way.com/travel-and-t ... -autobahn/