Nissan QQ 1.6diesel v Mercedes B180 Cdi

The place to discuss everything else..
Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

Well, I have had my QQ for just over a month now and thought you guys would like to hear how I've got on with it compared to my previous car. Firstly, the QQ only very slightly bigger mainly because the Merc was originally designed as a hybrid and the batteries were going under the seats, indeed it is where the main battery is located so you can imagine how much headroom is lost compared to the QQ.

Engine
The Merc has a 2litre 4 cylinder diesel the newer B Class has either the 1.5litre (B180) as in the QQ and Renault or a 1.8litre(B200) The QQ 1.6 diesel has almost the same power as the B200 (136 BHP) and can both tow my caravan at 1400kg whereas the new B180 and 1.5QQ cannot.

GearBox
My B180 had a CVT gearbox as does the QQ, but the QQ box seems much better than the MB. The newer MB's reverted to the 7speed auto box. On hill descents on cruise control, both boxes would engine break to maintain speed rather than just increasing speed. However the QQ box is a little more clever. Because of sign recognition, even without cruise control on, you still get engine breaking when 3-4mph over the speed limit, very clever.

Radio Equipment
In the Merc I had what Mercedes call Comand, cockpit management and data system, :geek: sat nav with a radio and 6 disc CD player, you could add bits so that your iPod or similar could play the music through the system, or you could have TV or video. On the whole, despite the bad news on this forum I have found the Nissan Connect 3 very good. Maps on the Comand were on a DVD £150 ish to replace from dealer, later system use a hard drive which I am not too up to date with.

Driving
Best I got from the MB was 51mpg, but it was a 2007 car and was a little out of date, average over the 8 years I owned the car was 37.8. Obviously the QQ is doing much better, more modern system. I do find the QQ a much more comfortable driving position although I do find the cruise control a bit of a faf. The Mercedes single leaver system is the best I have used, the lever has 4 positions, Drive the car to desired speed lever up to set speed, hold it up and the car will accelerate to a new set speed, down to slow down and set, forward to disengage and pull towards you to resume. A very simple system, you did not have to look for a knob to turn the cruise on and then set the speed as you do with the QQ. I used cruise control a lot, keeps me below the speed limit and helps protect my license :D

Overall the QQ is a better car than my old B180 and is certainly bigger than the newer B class offerings from MB. Oh, and the £30 road tax is a bonus. My only gripe with the QQ is the lights switch on the indicator stalk, who thought that one out, lights going on and off when you indicate, not good.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Qashowner, Thanks for the comparison. Regarding the lights have you read the latest post - Add an O-Ring problem solved - Dave 😁
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

Yes Dave, but it does seem a shame to have to resort to mods to make something work. This is the first car I've had that hasn't had a completely separate light switch or at least separate from the indicator stalk.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Qashowner, correct these sort of minor problems should be attended to, which means feedback and that is from the Owner back to Nissan, NCS or the Dealer. The problem is that many owners mention these problems through for example this Forum but the improvements or corrections have to be implemented by Nissan. It would help if Nissan were more active in reading or even being part of these Forums because to me being here for over 5 Years I have learned a lot from the normal run of the mill owners and a lot of the complaints here have turned into quality problems, Battery, Stop Start, Condenser, Hands Free Telephoning just as an example - let’s just hope Nissan takes more interest on improving their products as IMHO the QQ is not that bad - Dave 🤨
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken