E-Scooters are Coming !

The place to discuss everything else..
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

I am not sure if there is any interest on the subject of e-Scooters but this Electric Age is beginning to trip in fast now - Dave :)

The next phase of E-Vehicles is becoming to be more visible on the streets in Europe but as it appears at present not in the UK. If you're hoping to ride an electric scooter almost anywhere in the UK, you're out of luck it appears - or has it changed now ?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48106617

Electric scooters are like normal, two-wheeled scooters but with small electric engines to power them. In Paris, there are also electric scooters for hire but fines have just been introduced of €135 (£116) for riding them on the pavement and €35 for antisocial parking. This appears to be one of the Main Objections in that these Rental Versions are just being Dumped on the Streets much like the Rental Bikes / E-Bikes by irresponsible People.
Germany has just become the latest nation to approve the use of these stand-up E-Scooters on roads and bicycle paths, paving the way for US Rental startups like Lime & Bird Rides Inc to enter Europe's biggest economy. The German House of Parliament voted to allow E-Scooters with a maximum speed of 20km / hour to be used by anyone age 14 and older, but prohibits scooter use on sidewalks and does not require a helmet all which took effect this month.

Now the US Co. Lime is on the scene already in Berlin : https://www.li.me/electric-scooter

Metz - Moover : The latest trend in E-mobility / Light and compact to take you everywhere, also in the boot of the car / It can easily be taken on buses and trains / Weight 16 Kg / Is Approved for the road in many European Countries / Unique walking speed mode (max 6 km/h) / Ride without the obligation of wearing a helmet / Ride without a driving license / From 14 years up / Maximum load incl. driver and cargo load: 110 kg / 210Wh Lithium Battery / depending on country / 250w Motor (Continuous rated Power / Up to 20Km Range depending on Drivers Weight .
Price is around €2000

IMG_5531.jpg

https://www.metz-moover.de/en/

BMW X2 City : The new X2City electric pedelec scooter is light, compact and foldable, it easily fits into a small cars boot and can also be taken on buses and trains. So you can also speed through the city avoiding traffic at up to 25 km/h. The pedelec scooter makes a big impression in city traffic, thanks to the geared hub motor, you can also use it as a normal kick scooter when the battery is empty. With a charged battery the BMW Motorrad X2City can accelerate up to 25 km/h. The control panel on the handlebars gives you five speed levels to choose from (8, 12, 16, 20 and 25 km/h). The energy for the electric motor is supplied by a rain and splash-proof lithium-ion battery with 408Wh, which is integrated in the vehicle's frame and you can travel between 25 and 35 km.
You do not need to remove the battery every time, the X2City has an external charging plug, meaning that you can easily charge it up again using a normal household socket, a full charge takes only 2.5 hours. With the X2City, both you and your smartphone are mobile at all times, it can be charged using the integrated micro-USB port while riding and whenever you need it. By the way, it is not a legal requirement to wear a helmet while riding the BMW Motorrad X2City, although it is recommend.
Price is around €2500

IMG_7430.jpg

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/a ... anguage=en
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

You'll get that London mayor all excited Dave?

Just trying to imagine them with big (or small?) number plates on. But for anything battery there's going to be a fast track to use I should think.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

This is not good news that a TV presenter is thought to be the first person to die in an accident involving an electric scooter in the UK. How safe are they, How was this scooter used when not at present even allowed in the UK except on private land ?

These things are safe (there are cheapies -unstable / expensive-stable) if used sensibly and correctly, but even after a few weeks of being legal out here accidents are happening but at present luckily no deaths. In a City naturally there is major congestion but the problem seems to be related here to Tourists, Youngsters, Renters, who have never used one before, Rental or cheapies are unstable, no regard for safety, two on a scooter, riding on walkways, riding traffic lights etc. I am sure that if used correctly and sensibly (with Helmet!) and out of the city centers these things could be a real bonus for some with access to the City via Public Transport - Dave ☹️

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48106617
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Calnorth, I think the Mayor of London will be getting very excited if this takes place. Still here there are a lot of problems of the Riders Not obeying the Laws and Accidents are happening - Dave 😏
“Transport for London's director of transport innovation, Muchael Hurwitz, has called for the Government to accelerate its review of electric scooters in a bid to legalise the use of them. Current laws dictate that e-scooters can only be used on private land in the UK, but many people are already riding them illegally to commute through the capital and other cities”.

https://mol.im/a/7312955
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Technically I believe even the use of "foot-powered" scooters is banned on UK pavements.

It appears the law is confused:

https://swiftyscooters.com/blogs/journal/is-riding-a-kick-scooter-on-the-pavement-legal-in-the-uk

To my mind unpowered scootering and cycling should either be permitted on ALL footpaths, or prohibited and rigidly enforced.

I'm tempted to say the same of invalid carriages too.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Gloucester, I cannot see the sense of mixing Cycles / Scooters etc with Pedestrians on Footpaths as to me that is just outright dangerous. Here it is not allowed to ride Bicycles (you can walk them) on Footpaths you have to use the Cycle Ways where provided and or the normal Roads. It is also an offence to ride on a Footpath in the wrong direction, cross through a Red Light and you have to have Brakes, Lights etc and all these have various applied Fines if not adhered to. In most places there are also now Cycle Police Monitoring these Laws especially in the Cities.
Your comment on restricting Invalid Carriages is also to me a bit over the Top. Disabled People do not want to be Disabled these problems are normally due to Birth Defects, Medical Problems or Accidents etc and something nobody wants to happen. In my opinion these people should be able to lead as much as possible a near normal life and have the Right to get out, have access to places and enjoy life as much as possible where and when they can.
I am sure there are other opinions but that is mine - Dave 🤨
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Cycling on footpaths is simply IGNORED by the Police here and it's a real hazard. I also killed someone going into my drive one night - he was hurtling along the pavement with no lights - and there's no streetlighting when I live. Saw him at the last moment and stopped - hugely shaken.

Powered wheelchairs are available in two speeds - you're not supposed to use the high speed on a pavement but people do.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Gloucester, this attachment might be of interest to you. The speeds for these e-Scooters here is 20km/h so there is some difference to Wheelchairs. For the first month in Berlin figs have been released on Accidents there were 21 accidents, 19 had injuries and 18 were caused by the e-Scooter, unexperienced, idiots, tourists etc. - Dave 🤨

0EB232AE-D5A9-4772-9C01-C8C66452C210.jpeg

BF56B656-F73D-40EB-BA57-ED65ADBCB56E.jpeg

Rules for users of powered wheelchairs and mobility scooters (36 to 46) - The Highway Code - Guidance - GOV.UK :
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-users-of-powered-wheelchairs-and-mobility-scooters-36-to-46
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Now Audi are jumping on the Bandwagon with a 4Wheeled e-tron e-scooter in 2020 priced at around €2000 - Dave 😉

Audi has combined an electric scooter and a skateboard into one dweeby rideable :
https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/5/20754875/audi-e-tron-scooter-specs-range-price-release-date-maximum-speed
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Wheels have just announced the next e-Scooter Type to Whiz around Berlin, except this is a Sit On / No Pedal one - Dave 🤨

“Wheels rents out e-bikes in Berlin according to the sharing principle. The vehicles with sustainable electric drive have a special feature: instead of pedals, riders place their feet on footrests. Unlike standing electric scooters like those used by Bird and Lime, seated electric scooters have lower centers of gravity and are safer to use for carrying cargo or other loads. By adding a new basket to the scooters, Wheels hopes that its scooters can become an even better utility-style alternative transportation option for commuters and city dwellers. Instead of taking a crowded bus to the market, some shoppers could ride a scooter and use the basket to carry their groceries home.”

EC9CA551-FB5B-4E2A-8F94-716F0CA31DB0.jpeg

D16E16EB-5C33-4A37-836D-F8B77CC4C599.jpeg

Wheels – Berlin.de : https://www.berlin.de/tourismus/infos/v ... ls.en.html

Wheels restarts its seated electric scooter sharing as safer urban transportation option - Electrek : https://electrek.co/2020/06/11/wheels-r ... ternative/