Dutch Roundabout - Cambridge

The place to discuss everything else..
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

The UK's first Dutch-style roundabout has just opened in Cambridge , giving cyclists and pedestrians priority over drivers. The roundabout features a red bicycle lane around it and motorists need to give way if a cyclist is using it - Time to get a Bike Dave 😉

D79F28A2-91A2-4AB4-A7CA-9D3D2DFA7A5E.jpeg

Aerial photos show Cambridge's brand new Dutch roundabout in action - Cambridgeshire Live : https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... s-18732279

In 1972 there was a Roundabout Built in Swindon but more confusing, which caused no end of problems, I expect some members are aware of this night mare. The so called Magic Roundabout in Swindon, is a ring junction consisting of five smaller roundabouts direct traffic clockwise while cars travel counterclockwise around the inner circle. 😋

8F89347A-3DB8-47E2-8062-8AD3C5C68FB0.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

I don't mind cyclists, but if we are to provide cycle lanes etc, then I think the cyclist should pay in some way. Certainly they need to have some form of insurance.

In Holland, cyclists have priority over everything including pedestrians, is it to be the same in Cambridge and eventually the rest of the UK?
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Qashowner, you will find that the name of the game at present here are Bikes, e-Bikes or e-Scooters if you can get hold of one.
Here is very similiar to Holland most Roads (50km/h Limit) have Cycle Ways which do not have to be used, in the City they have now widened cycleways, no parking is allowed on them, no stopping for deliveries, wide berthing of Cyclists is a must in the city 1,5m & outside 2,5m. No additional costs or Insurance are needed here - Dave 😉
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Sandgrounder
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Sandgrounder »

Minor car crash forces Britain’s first Dutch-style roundabout that gives priority to cyclists to CLOSE just days after it opened
:roll:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... pened.html
Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Previously: 1.2 N-Tec DIG-T 115 J11A ~ Blade Silver (Nov 14-Sep 17)
Turvey

Post by Turvey »

Drivers up here have enough problems trying to understand normal small 4 exit roundabouts without adding cyclist priority into the mix! 🙄
2010 Acenta 1.5 dci (Sold)
2016 N-connecta 1.2 dig-t (Sold)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

I know that Swindon roundabout Dave. Travelled it a couple of times. Avoid.... :roll:

What surprised me as a pedestrian in Copenhagen was the aggressive goons on bikes. Lived in Holland for a year and never really faced wall to wall bikes about the place. However, as a foreigner in Europe I really took extra care as I certainly was not completely familiar with the road code/laws of 4 countries i had to pass through.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

So now comes the criticisms and comments - Dave 😁

“The construction of a new roundabout does not often make national headlines, but one in Cambridge that gives priority to pedestrians and cyclists has done just that. So why all the fuss?”

BBC News: Cambridge's Dutch-style roundabout: Why all the fuss? : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c ... e-53947440