Intelligent Key replacement/Manual key use??

General Information Forum for the J11 QashQai. (Formerly Order Forum)
daveg14
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by daveg14 »

Hello

My first post on here, so I hope I'm in the right place:

I've been having intermittent, "anomalies", with both supplied I-keys..... Occasional no key detected, also occasional incorrect ID warnings...... These always cleared within a press or three of the buttons and on I went on my merry way!

Stupidly, I have now "lost" one of my keys!! So, I need a new key....Q1. Do I have to get a new key from a Nissan dealer (sooo expensive)? Any ideas??

This has now thrown up another issue...... So, because I only have the one key at the moment, I am trying to use the manual key as a "spare"...... But when I use the manual key to open the door the alarm goes off and can only be stopped using the I-key....I also have no Ignition switch to put the manual key into, which makes me wonder what is the point of the manual key?? Q2. How do I use the manual key?

I have scoured the two books/manuals that I thought would have the answers, to no avail.... Has anyone had similar issues..... And resolved them?? £300.40 I've been quoted by Nissan.... That's a heavy slap for losing my key!!! (Though I will be a little more observant in future!)

My car is a 2018 1.2 Dig-t 115 Qashqai Tekna Xtronic.......and tbh, I love the car, but right now......🤔

Thanks...... In anticipation

Dave.

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Sorry, I can’t help, but welcome to the forum
I’m sure someone will be along who knows more
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum

Not the answer you want but I have key insurance! Despite never having lost a key.

Getting one from Nissan is the easiest and most reliable way of sourcing a replacement. There are other companies advertising keys but we've no experience of anyone on here successfully getting one.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
daveg14

Post by daveg14 »

Folks, thanks for the welcome, and the responses, much appreciated......... Looks like I'm in a tiny minority, if not actually alone, in having this problem...... Not losing the key, but having the manual key issue!

However.......I have stumbled over, what I think, is a pretty neat, Nissan cheat........ If this is already on the forum please accept apologies to the poster, but I couldn't find it.......

So.....If you're out on a trip away from home, and your Intelligent Key fob battery runs out, you can still access your car, and start it!!
Use the manual key (remove from fob), to open the door and once in the drivers seat, with your foot on the brake as usual, push the start button with the Nissan logo end of the key fob........ Bingo!!
(Then drive to a nearby battery supplier and replace the deleted Fob battery) This works for my J11b Qashqai, And some other models..... Murano, Altima, Leaf, etc, but common sense says, before you rely on the cheat, make sure you have at least one spare battery handy, its a piece of cake to change the battery, they're cheap and I got mine from Amazon.

So, thanks again Nissan folks, and here is a link to the video that explains it better than I did....

Regards

Dave.
daveg14

Post by daveg14 »

PS: Update: I still don't know why the alarm goes off when I use the manual key, but I have now found the "lost" key.....I won't be losing it again now I know how much money, not to mention faffing around, is involved in replacing it!.

There is no mention anywhere, in any of the manuals or tutorials about that dead Fob key battery trick, I wonder why?

And finally, after scouring around to get a replacement key, it turns out that the only way to buy a new one, is through Nissan.

Over....

Dave.