Qashqai J11 stop/start

General Information Forum for the J11 QashQai. (Formerly Order Forum)
Yendik
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Yendik »

Hi, this is my first attempt at a post on this sight.
I have had 5 Nissans 3 of them being Qashqai. I have had the J11 (65 plate) for just over a year, and I have to say that in general it is the best one apart for the battery. I have just got it back from the main dealer after getting it checked out for faulty battery, (I also checked it out before it went into the main dealer I worked for the AA for 25 years) and had the Nissan 12v 75ah 700a fitted, charging system working perfectly. I know that at present I am doing short journeys but in all the years I have owned cars (55 years) and worked on them I have never known a vehicle battery system to have so many problems with the battery. The past 2 qashqai did the exact same running and had no problem with there battery’s. Having read some of your posts on this sight I see that some of you recommend a trickle charge once a month using the CTEK charger, which I have bought, so hope this over comes what is a good car with just this one idiosyncrasies.

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

The stop/start on my car hardly ever worked - despite a battery being replaced under warranty. The dealer even told me I wasn't driving aggressively enough!

I'm convinced that the charging system is simply not properly calibrated in these cars, and doesn't charge the battery sufficiently.

My present car is SO much better in this respect.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

The theory runs along the line that the vehicles Energy Management System monitors/records the age of the Battery and its use. Based on a performance graph of the Battery type will be the charge rate. The charge rate is voltage level and time. The longer the better one might think? Consider that correct charging for a Battery is about 10 hours from any terminal voltage...the 10 hour rate.

The QQ Alternator is a more powerful unit than whats been used in past cars...its aimed at high charge rates to counter frequent Stop/Starts (SS). SS IMO is an absolute curse. Particularly in the the case of not being able to default OFF.

As the Battery gets older it won't achieve its full capacity. And regular short journeys will not help either, but thats how they are often used.

Many of us develop a semi love/hate relationship with Batteries. To get past the hate bit I have a spare Battery and about once a week I go out for a 25 mile or so run. The silly game with fuel currently prevents that.

Gone are the days when you could confidentially swing a Battery in and out. With the electronic arrangements on these cars now I'm much concerned about that procedure.

I'm sure Ev cars present a graphical display of what the status of the Batteries are. Would have been helpful on our non Evs of course.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta