Key fob issues

General Information Forum for the J11 QashQai. (Formerly Order Forum)
Malcz86
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Malcz86 »

Hey All,

I have a 2014 Acenta Premium, purchased second hand from a Nissan dealer in July 2020. The last few mornings the key fobs are dead when I try to use them. The car has the keyless feature, the door buttons do not work and the buttons on the fob do nothing. If I remove the key from the fob I can unlock the door (if I then open the door the alarm goes off), I then put the key back into the fob and it starts working again as normal and seems to work for the rest of the day.

Can't be the car battery as surely this wouldn't be fixed by simply unlocking with the key and re-inserting into the fob? have also tried changing one of the fob batteries, but don't think it could be this as its both keys at the same time.

It has been very cold the last few mornings, so maybe this is causing issues with the electronics in the car? anything I can do to remedy?
Now: 1.3 NConnecta DIG-T 158 MHEV J12
Before: 1.2 Accenta Premium DIG-T J11

Popsie5859
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Popsie5859 »

Have you tried changing the batteries in the fobs?
Malcz86

Post by Malcz86 »

Tried in one of the fobs which made no difference, but don't see how it can be the fob batteries if both of them are not working at the same time?
Squashy2
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Squashy2 »

Personally I would contact the Dealership. I've found that they do try to resolve customer satisfaction regardless of new or used car purchase. Only costs a phone call after all. Did you get the free 12 month extended Nissan warranty with your purchase?
We did, and although we have been very unlucky and had numerous faults/problems since our purchase, our supplying dealership has been excellent at fixing everything under warranty.
2018 Acenta 1.2 DIG-T in Gunmetal grey.
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

Previous QQ 2007 1.6 petrol Acenta (102K miles)
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

As for the keyless feature not working, have you checked to see if it is turned on in the menu?
19 plate 1.5dCi n-connecta in Magnetic Red
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

This is very odd - you say " it starts working again as normal and seems to work for the rest of the day " so it can't have been deactivated. Seems like it's not liking either getting cold or being left overnight timewise. I don't recall this coming up before in this context.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Malcz86

Post by Malcz86 »

Squashy2 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:48 pm Personally I would contact the Dealership. I've found that they do try to resolve customer satisfaction regardless of new or used car purchase. Only costs a phone call after all. Did you get the free 12 month extended Nissan warranty with your purchase?
We did, and although we have been very unlucky and had numerous faults/problems since our purchase, our supplying dealership has been excellent at fixing everything under warranty.
Yes, although its past 12 months now, we also had a fair few issues fixed under warranty. I need to dropin to the dealership anyway to get the lower steering grommit greased, which is another recurring issue they've been unable to resolve so have said they'll grease it as often as it needs doing, so will ask then about the key fobs.
Weasel wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:03 pm As for the keyless feature not working, have you checked to see if it is turned on in the menu?
gloucester wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:43 pm This is very odd - you say " it starts working again as normal and seems to work for the rest of the day " so it can't have been deactivated. Seems like it's not liking either getting cold or being left overnight timewise. I don't recall this coming up before in this context.
Yes definitely switched on as works most of the time, also when the buttons on the fob do not work, its almost as if the car is not listening for signals until you unlock with the key.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Its rather weird. The NATS (security system) should be monitoring the car for intrusion and for the key fob/door button signals. The latter being the only way in without the alarm kicking off.

This is a function of the Body Control Module (BCM) which doesn't want to do as described....is asleep? Unless you wake it up with a manual key. And then it'll stay awake until the next power off...return to sleep. Something like that. So BCM has a problem I think?

Battery too low would kick off other problems I suspect.

Why do they have to repeatedly grease the steering thing? Thats not right.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Malcz86

Post by Malcz86 »

Yea I know, we get a loud groaning noise when steering at low speeds, first happened a few months after purchase, was told the lower steering gromit had to be greased every 4 years or so, but I was back within 4 months, thats when they told me it was a manufacturers fault and even replacing the entire steering unit wouldn't help. So they were happy to grease as often was needed until Nissan released a fix. I told them at that point Nissan weren't going to release a fix for a 6 year old car discontinued model.
Malcz86

Post by Malcz86 »

Is the BCM also linked to press the unlock button on the key fob, or just the unlock button on the doors?