The qashi's first detail + write up, loads of pictures......

Post pictures of your QashQai here!
MonTheFish

Post by MonTheFish »

A day of back breaking work but it came up well....

image.jpeg

Last edited by MonTheFish on Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danny

Post by Danny »

Stunning, what stages did you go through and what products did you use?
2016 - 1.2 Xtronic - N-tec + - Blade Silver
MonTheFish

Post by MonTheFish »

1st wash:
Equipment: Autobrite Snow Foam Lance, Karcher K2
Products: snow foam Autobrite magifoam
starting things off with a blast of foam....who doesn't love it apart from the neighbours!!!

followed by a power wash to rinse off

2nd wash:
Equipment: lambs wool wash mitt and a bucket!!!
Products: Virisol + water
Using a degreaser to get rid of everything the dealer thought was good to put on the car (and probably wasn't)

followed by a power wash to rinse off

Clay bar time:
Products: Water + Bilt Hamber - Auto Clay Soft
Following a post on here, playing it safe by using a soft clay bar. The car is only about 5 months old so Paint isn't that bad anyway....or so I thought...
and that's after all those washes!!!!
Claying complete

3rd wash: same degreaser as 2nd wash followed by a power wash to rinse off (dont seem to have a picture for this sorry!!) and dry with big fluffy towel.

Masking time:
Products: 3M masking tape
a trip round all the plastic work to try and stop the products leaving their mark

Polishing time:
Equipment: Meguiars G220, Chemical Guys - White 5.5" Hex-Logic Pad
Products: Menzerna super finish (no longer stocked but a finishing polish)
As per the clay bar selection staying safe with a nice soft pad and a polish with limited cut, Although there were swirls I thought I'd go for this combination first and see if it was enough to lift them (it was). Once finished completed by buffing off with a microfibre cloth
A couple with the polish on

Cleaner fluid time (pre wax treatment):
Equipment: microfibre pad
Products: Swissvax Medium Cleaning fluid
I've always liked the pricey but good Swissvax range. Its easy to use and gives a very nice finish to the car. Just wet the pad with it and work it on in straight lines and by the time you've done the car its time to buff off with a microfibre cloth. The harder you can buff the better on this one.
You can see the flat look before buffing off here:
and buffed off:

Time for some Wax:
Equipment: Foam Wax Applicator
Products: Swissvax Mirage
Not the cheapest wax you'll buy but it goes a long way and I've yet to find better. As with the cleaner fluid, pop a bit on the pad and rub in straight lines. Cold weather is fighting against you with this but a good rub in will still put it down. I usually go do the wheels after I've put it on to give it a chance to sit for a bit on the paint before I buff off with a microfibre cloth.
With the Wax buffed off:

Wheels:
Products: Old bit of clay bar, Active-f soap
The wheels had covered around 8k and had some quite horrific tar marks all over the face. A quick run down with the clay bar then a wash and rinse later and all is good. Ran out of time so didn't manage to stick on the sealant I have for the wheels but I'll see where they are at come 4 weeks time when I'm topping up the wax.

Other stuff:
I did a quick run round the black plastics with some turtle wax trim plastic stuff which I've found is hard to beat, and a quick spray of some tyre dressing.

BTW I'm no expert, just someone who's done quite a bit of cleaning on my TT over the years and gave the Qashqai a bit of the same.
Last edited by MonTheFish on Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
escargot

Post by escargot »

Wow, looks absolutely fantastic!
2016 1.6 DCI Tekna in Magnetic Red with pano roof.
Danny

Post by Danny »

i'm guessing you're happy with the pressure washer? Don't currently have one but have seen on Amazon quite a few at fairly decent prices.
MonTheFish

Post by MonTheFish »

Pressure wash is fine though I do miss the wheels that my old one had. Been running it for just under a year so not sure how it will perform long term as a lot of people talk of failure due to the use of a plastic impeller. Enough flow for the snow foam which is always good !!!
Danny

Post by Danny »

I enjoy cleaning my car in the summer but can't be bothered in the colder months. So just thinking a pressure washer might help.

I've book marked this so I know what to refer back to when my car needs a 'proper' clean ;) Thanks for posting it.
Bullyboy

Post by Bullyboy »

Looks fab. Can I bring mine round !
All the best
Paul
NOW- Mini Clubman Cooper S ---- WAS a 16 plate Tekna 1.6 dig-t in Gunmetal with Pano Roof
Milner Off Road

Post by Milner Off Road »

Qashqai is looking fantastic.
Suppliers of high-quality Nissan Qashqai parts for the J10E and JJ10E. http://www.milneroffroad.com/nissan/qashqai
MonTheFish

Post by MonTheFish »

fixed the pictures that were down.