Nissan Qashqai 1.6 Dig-T Mini Review

Reviews / Comments about the 2014 QashQai
MadCar

Post by MadCar »

So a while ago we had a drive of the 1.2 Dig-T and the 1.5 Dci and decided that we wanted to wait for the new 1.6 Dig-T to arrive. So a couple of weeks ago we went and took one for a test drive, but with a twist. We took with us a BMW 2 Series Active Tourer, a 218i with the all new 1.5 Turbo engine in it as comparison. BMW gave us one to drive for a few days to see what we thought. So having driven there in the BMW we jumped into the dealers demonstrator and zoomed off down the road. First impressions of the 1.6 Dig-T was it seemed more refined than the 1.2 we had driven before and with a lot more flexibility around town. Onto the motorway the difference was what we were looking for. The engine was much stronger and it was easier to keep up with traffic and not need to drop down a gear that the 1.2 demanded on our last drive. Fuel economy for the few hours we had it was 40.7 which I thought was really good considering we were pushing it more than we would normally to asses its performance. Drive wise it was good and very Nissan as my wife already had was a 1.5 diesel Qashqai.But which car was the better one and which did we choose? Well it wasn't an easy decision to say the least for her but in the end she decided to go for the BMW.Why I hear you ask? Well a few reasons. The BMW was a joy to drive, I don't know how they do it but even my wife commented on how the car felt and how it made her feel as a driver; you some how feel more connected with the car and the way it feeds back. And then there is the engine. Its a new 1.5 wait for it 3 cylinder and it was super smooth and felt more powerful and more responsive than the Qashqai did even though on paper it was down on power. It makes a lovely off cylinder noise reminiscent of my old 330 being half a straight six. It was more refined at motorway speeds and seemed to have more room inside at the back for the kids (its like the tardis some how). Add to the better finish and the kit levels and toys in the one we drove and it got the nod. She preferred the looks of the Nissan to the BMW and I think I'd agree with her but I think she just fancied a change, both are great cars. The BMW would be more on paper cost wise but it was a demonstrator that we were looking at the two were almost identical in price at that point. So if you are in the market for a Nissan Qashqai and are wondering if you should be going for the 1.2 or 1.6 petrol give the 1.6 a try. Its stronger, more refined and day to day I bet will deliver the same or possibly better economy from our quick test. So we don't have a Nissan in the family anymore, but who knows we might be back after almost 5 years of faultless motoring in her car; she was sorry to see it go.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Madcar, well at least you had your Act together by setting up a proper Test Drive & knowing what you want and comparing your preferred cars back to back. Nice little report and hopefully you and the wife enjoy your time with the New Car even if it is not a QQ. At the end of the day it is down to Personal preference - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Moved to the new review section :)
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

That was a good honest review and I suspect with a result that wouldn't surprise too many of us. Good to see that in many ways the QQ held its own.
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
Acenta

Post by Acenta »

Just spotted this new section and found this thread hit the spot. Currently trying to decide what to buy, will probably replace both the Kia Ceed SW and the Micra 1.2 Acenta. So the basic needs are plenty of space, decent economy and must be a petrol. So I am not bored it also needs decent performance. Qashqai 1.2 looks great with adequate space and in Acenta trim all the kit we need. But a bit concerned about performance especially with a full load over 450 miles, one condition its impossible to replicate on a test drive. So I move onto the 1.6 but you have to go up to N-Tec trim and then its £3000 more than the 1.2. Also not convinced I need 160 + bhp either. Had considered the new 2 series Active Tourer but not even seen one yet. Having had 5 1/2 very happy years with a 1 series BMW's are something I am happy to drive and on paper it looked to fit the bill, but not cheap. Same applied when I bought the 1 series but when I PX'd it after 5 1/2 years I still got 40% of the purchase price back, some brands cannot manage that after 3 years. So it was actually quite reasonable over the time I owned it. Looks like we need to get a drive in both ASAP. But it would be a sad day not to have a Nissan in the family. Since 1990 we have had one for all but 2 years between 2003 and 2005.
MadCar

Post by MadCar »

The Qashqai we had never missed a beat and with 46k miles and 4.5 years old we got about 40% back so very very impressed on that front. The issue I have with the BMW 2AT as its called on forums is I don't get to drive it. With the QQ she would want me to drive all the time, with the 2AT I rarely get to drive it. Its as if she has suddenly found how fun it can be and doesn't want me to get a look in. As for engines on the QQ it depends how you drive and the driving you do. The 1.2 is a good engine but the 1.6 is that little bit better in all areas. There are a few launch spec 2ATs out there with lots of kit which is what we got for not much than an Ntec QQ so you have lots of options. Happy looking we certainly found it fun, well mostly anyway.
QQ013

Post by QQ013 »

Nice review.. nice to see you had about the same comparisson. I too drived the Beamer 2AT. But the result is somewhat different.The QQ 1.6 was a very smooth drive while the AT2 was a bit dissapointing. The price difference was pretty extreme when you ticked the options that are standard in the QQ tekna.Almost 60% higher price.. Like picking a higher segment car, but without the luxury experience . prices about QQ: 25.000 BMW AT2: 34.000 ( Pounds!)A front wheel drive BMW that drives like a Renault.. But as always, YMMMV, it's a personal and subjective opinion. So i picked the QQ 1.6 Dig-T Tekna.
QQ0132015-02-20 21:31:15
QQ 1.6Dig-T Tekna
Acenta

Post by Acenta »

Prices are obviously very different in the Netherlands.The Qashqai 1.6 DIG-T N-Tec is £21008 at our local broker (who I have used before). Add to that £656 for white paint and its £21664. No other extras required.The BMW 2 series 118i SE is £21173. White is £0 and the only extras we would specify from the extensive list are Cruise control @ £225 and lumbar @ £216 total £21614, £50 less than the Qashqai.I will admit that the Qashqai is better equipped but much of that extra kit is not needed or desired by us. The Acenta spec is more than adequate but is not available on the 1.6 DIG-T. If it was the Qashqai would be the favourite.Main problem is simply that both are above our £20000 spend limit.Which takes us back to the 1.2 DIG-T Acenta at £17969 + paint.
QQ013

Post by QQ013 »

Acenta, i used the UK sites for the prices. I tried to compare the options of the Tekna with the same set in BMW versions.The prieces i used are the UK prices.Look at the prices of the BMW options .. The glass roof is about twice the price.. looking at the BMW safety options the prices go through the roof.BTW: The BMW 118 has 30BHP less compared with the 1.6Dig-T
QQ0132015-02-21 20:00:25
QQ 1.6Dig-T Tekna
MadCar

Post by MadCar »

There are pros and cons to both cars. Take both out for a drive and do the sums yourself and then make a decision; the heart is always better at buying a car than your head for me. You can go on forever at looking at the pros and cons. They are identical in performance but the BMW is more efficient and far cheaper to tax in the UK. Peak power is also available lower in the rev range in the BMW and the in gear performance is better and its lighter.To match spec for spec on a new one the BMW will cost far more I'd expect. Which one has the best drive is always down the opinion and thats the way it should be. The wife still loves hers and still isn't letting me drive it and that makes me smile, which is what a car should do for me that can help make any journey melt away.