Qashqai reliability

Reviews / Comments about the 2014 QashQai
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

I know plenty of people on here are very happy with their QQ's and would vigorously defend them.
That seems fair enough, it's a QQ forum after all.

From my experience, at least, I'd tend to describe the car as a Curate's Egg.

I know I'm much happier in my motoring having swapped for something else.
I can fully understand how those with minimal/no faults are also happy with their QQ.

My view is to be wary of "young" second hand cars that were privately owned (but that would be the same for any vehicle).

As to the original question.

I've never owned / driven the new Hyundai Tuscon so i couldn't comment.
The original IX35 wasn't a bad car to drive (on test at least) but it didn't handle as well as the QQ.
Long term i couldn't say which would be better on an individual car basis but the fact i was prepared to get rid of my QQ within 2 years of ownership i would leave up to you to interpret.
Nissan no more...

jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

[quote="AlleyCat"]I know plenty of people on here are very happy with their QQ's and would vigorously defend them.
That seems fair enough, it's a QQ forum after all.

From my experience, at least, I'd tend to describe the car as a Curate's Egg.

I know I'm much happier in my motoring having swapped for something else.
I can fully understand how those with minimal/no faults are also happy with their QQ.

-------

could you do remind me which model your qq was please ?

also briefly what the main problems were ?

many thanks

jd
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

I personally take everything that Which says with a pinch of salt. These are the people who recommend Beko washing machines, fridge freezers etc. as best buys above Bosch, Miele, AEG etc. They forget to mention that they can catch fire and are not very reliable long term at all, chaep yes, good value maybe, but that's about all.

There will always be rogue models in every car as you see when you read their own forums, and as for reliability claims, owners are more than likely to complain when something goes wrong rather than pass comments when everything is fine.
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

[quote="jonceebee"]

I personally take everything that Which says with a pinch of salt.

----------------------

so do i .

but two stars out of five ?? bottom quintile ???

that is damning , and inescapable.

AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

jackdaww wrote: -------

could you do remind me which model your qq was please ?

also briefly what the main problems were ?

many thanks

jd
Sure.
Like i said this was just mine.
Other peoples will differ.
Jon, for example, bought his car from the same dealer and his experience is totally different to mine.

14 plate - (April) Accenta Premium.

Rattles-

Doors, both sides (door cards packed/ replaced numerous times). Worse when cold but pretty much always one side or the other would buzz / rattle all the time.
Dash end Cap (passenger) - managed to mostly get that stopped (apart from when very cold).
Drivers window rattled / flexed when partially open. Attempted to tighten the runner but no other fix was available - Other models in the dealership exhibited the same issue (new and older).

Fairly certain the issues with this are plastic "pop" rivets that aren't up to snuff if not done properly first time and, in the case of the window, a bad design.

Front sensors-

Water ingress caused them to constantly activate.
It took multiple visits, and about 5 months, before they'd accept the issue was water.
Software updates, "no faults found", etc.
Eventually agreed to replace and fault was "mostly" resolved (in my case).

Battery-

Failed totally after a year.
Nissan wanted to try re-charge it and send me on my way.
RAC actually got stroppy about it and made them replace it as it was proved faulty at the side of the road.
Dealer final report did confirm that One of the cells was damaged. Most likely due to manufacturing defect and was resisting recharge.

Oil-

After first service started to consume oil at approx 1/4 litre to 1/2 litre per 1K miles.
Before first service it consumed zero oil.

Measured test by dealer confirmed usage but weren't interested in looking into it further (believe that they are now offering to do software modifications for this).

Odd Noise-

I had a "knocking" noise from the engine bay (low down on drivers side).
Dealer confirmed they could hear it but could not locate the source so nothing they could do.
Combined with oil usage it made me nervous about the longevity of the mechanicals outside warranty.

Head Unit-

Would lose sound / crash occasionally (not a major issue).
DAB on unit was "crap".
Initially i blamed DAB but current car will hold same stations correctly where QQ dropped out totally.
Yes i had all the latest software updates.

Steering -

Typical groaning as reported by others when cold.

Suspension-

As per steering.
Lubrication made issue go away for a while but returned.

Brakes-
Occasionally "clattered" to the point i thought something had fallen off.
Dealer couldn't find "fault" but my dashcam actually caught the mechanic saying it sounded "bloody awful".

I accept none of the above are "major" problems in of themselves.
It's the "volume" and re-occurrence that were the issue.
Nissan and the dealer didn't help hugely in regards to acknowledging these things existed as issues in the design or actually make much of a stab at trying to resolve things.
It always felt like i should just be pleased they deemed me worthy to have had the good fortune to get a QQ of any quality.

I change cars approx. every 3 years (work) and i worked out in 18 months (give or take) i visited the Nissan dealer more times than my previous 20 years of car ownership (including services & tyre replacements).

You can choose to read this as the car was a disaster or I'm just a whiny git.

My view is still that it's a good concept let down, in my case, by a lack of execution in the build quality.
Nissan no more...
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

"" You can choose to read this as the car was a disaster or I'm just a whiny git. ""

That is a seriously worrying list - and unacceptable - if i get half that there will be a stink .

I assume its the 1.2 petrol as you dont mention any diesel type issues - is that right ?

many thanks again .

AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

jackdaww wrote:"" You can choose to read this as the car was a disaster or I'm just a whiny git. ""

That is a seriously worrying list - and unacceptable - if i get half that there will be a stink .

I assume its the 1.2 petrol as you dont mention any diesel type issues - is that right ?

many thanks again .
It was a petrol.
I believe the "oil" usage is isolated to the 1.2 engine specifically (unless 1.6 petrol owners wish to say differently?)
Nissan no more...
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

Sadly some cars are just bad ones. My previous Yeti which I disposed of after 12 months and 8k miles losing £9k in the exchange. Had the following faults which drove me crazy.
1.Noisy rattley rear suspension, 2 attempts to cure under warranty, it retuned again just before I sold.
2. Front near side wheel bearing failed..Replaced under warranty
3.Continuous sunroof rattle.. cured under warranty, then leaked when it failed to close/seal properly
4.Scuff appeared on drivers seat side, was taken to upholsterer under warranty who told me he had repaired by spraying new top coat, it looked ok afterwards.
5. DSG gearbox playing up on and off, with revs shooting up to 6000rpm when going downhill in gear, I often had to knock it into neutral to overcome this. Two attempts to fix under warranty which cured for a time but it came back. I was advised this could be a normal trait of the gearbox.
6. Various dashboard buzzes and rattles which I cured myself by pieces of sponge or silicon spray.
7. Self levelling headlights failed, repaired under warranty.
8. Excessive use of engine oil, needing 1/2 litre top ups after every 2k miles

I bought the Yeti because I had been so impressed with our Octavia Estate being such a good trouble free model I assumed I could not go wrong with another Skoda. Unfortunately this turned out to be a costly mistake.
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
Bullyboy

Post by Bullyboy »

Only thing I can add whilst awaiting delivery of mine as coming from a Juke, quite a few of the 1.2 Dig T engines on the Juke Owners Club Forum have had oil usage issues. Some have been replaced under warranty and some have been taken care of by the dealer and some minor work done to them.

Not suggesting I can add anything else re the QQ at the moment but when one post mentioned the oil usage I think this is a trait of the 1.2 engine that if you want to go to the Juke forum appears to be a run of engines in a 'certain period of manufacture' where somewhere a component is fault or unreliable. Not sure if this is the exact correct information but loads on this forum purely on the 1.2.

Hope this helps in some small way.
All the best
Paul
NOW- Mini Clubman Cooper S ---- WAS a 16 plate Tekna 1.6 dig-t in Gunmetal with Pano Roof
cmraja

Post by cmraja »

Hi All,

I am new to the forum. I am I process of buying 2014 QQ 1.6 diesel acenta-premium.
I am test driving the car in 2 days (in transit now).

Could you help me with pointers to check during test drive?
Also what is j10 and j11? How can I check? Sorry for my ignorance.

Regards
Raja