Qashqai reliability

Reviews / Comments about the 2014 QashQai
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Raja, here are some facts from a previous Post on the J10 / J11. Try also using the "Search" Facility also - Dave ;)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

cmraja

Post by cmraja »

Thanks Dave. I am understand now.
What about any pointers on what I should look out for during my test drive?
montimar

Post by montimar »

I have just been reading the Auto Express 2016 Driver Power Survey. What a shocker, the Qashqai has fallen down the rankings from 46th place to 131.
Out of 150 cars it came 150th for reliability and 150th for build quality. What the hell are Nissan playing at?
April 2014 Acenta 1.6 Xtronic Blade Silver
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

You need to define reliability, as a number of things really fall under the 'experience' category.... A lot of these reports do not separate the 2 and in my opinion is wrong.

I define reliability as in "it has to get me from A to B without unplanned stops", and the frequency of unscheduled/unexpected repair bills.

For me, despite the problems I have had, the car has been 100% reliable. It has not failed me once and prevented me from getting A to B with unscheduled stops. Neither has it cost me anything excessive to repair even if I were to include the warranty items* (see footnote). I am aware that some others have not been so lucky, but the numbers reporting these issues compared to the number of cars on the road are so small that you can classify them as 'sods law' and for each batch sent out, a small % will of course have some sort of problem. There are also some reliability problems caused by dealers performing poor PDI inspections such as a number of cars were reportedly delivered to customers have had loose battery cables for example.

I think overall, the QQ has been a reliable car and has not let that many people down from achieving getting from A to B without needing the assistance of RAC!

However, from a 'owner experience' point of view, number of things initially let down the experience of owning the J11 QQ. Various rattles, a couple of sensor gremlins, the oil loss on the engine (1.2 DIG T - there is a rather lengthy thread about this issue), and some cosmetic issues. This lower than expected oner experience is quite a common complaint on the forum and is quite wide spread.

A forum is only a small sample of people who own the cars, most of them will have found their way onto the forum because of a problem they have either found, or want to vent about. A lot of people tend to ignore little issues if there is not that many of them and just accept it, such as small number of rattles, or a false positive on the blind spot detection system in the rain.

A lot of the 'experience' issues have been mostly because its an early car, as in one of the first lot to come off the production line. Most new models have teething issues and it seems as though the number of 'experience' based issued were resolved with the '15 plates

* Yes, my car had an oil loss issue, there is an explanation for this, whilst not great, in my case does not serve to suggest there will be issues later down the line once the fix is in place. There have been some where there was a simple quality control issue with piston size selection. These engines consumed oil at an excessive rate which resulted in bottom end failure. These engines have been repaired/replaced where appropriate.
montimar

Post by montimar »

Interesting post on how to view reliability. My car came off the production line Feb 2014 and was 100% reliable for the first 18 months. My first minor problem was a defective temperature sensor then the Battery failed which played havoc with getting from A to B and back again. Had the car not been in Warranty I would have replaced the Battery within hours of the first RAC call out but I persisted with the dealer and Nissan Customer Service who insisted the Battery was OK. giving me a few months of hell.
I replaced the Battery at my expense 2 months ago and the car is back to being reliable.
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

if the battery failed there would be serious symptoms.

it would be better to tell the dealer what the symptoms are rather than a diagnosis.

let he dealer diagnose and insist they fix it so you dont get symptoms.
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
montimar

Post by montimar »

Nissan dealers are not allowed to think for themselves. The have to clear all waranty work with Nissan Custumer Service who are not fit for purpose.
The Battery would accept charge so it was determined to be OK. The final straw for me was after a 75 mile run the Battery lost charge within a few hours and I had to have a jump start to get home.
I have had no problems since changing the Battery. The Fiamm has been consigned to the bin.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

montimar, I tend to disagree with your first comment and I hope it is not because I live in Germany. Our QQ has never let us down yet, but we have had some I suppose you would call them "Teething Problems" on a 2014 model. Anyway any problem I have mentioned has been documented and the Dealer has ordered the part, then informed NCS or the like and given me an appointment.
The decision to be made is that the Dealer gets his money back and naturally he has to clear this with Nissan for the specified hours to do the Guarantee job. You cannot expect the Dealer to "Foot the Bill" for a Nissan problem or he will eventually go out of business - Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
ThreeSixty

Post by ThreeSixty »

Chanced upon this debate recently and it is interesting to see the different opinions.
Here's my take:-
Is true that forums generally tend to be a place where owners when faced with an issue come to seek advice/opinion, in my case my sole purpose is to be prepared for any responses when at the dealers. Hence this forum is a wealth of information (and opinions). Bottom line - happy owners will vociferously defend their cars, nothing wrong about it.

Definitely sure, that there will be hordes of owners who have'nt faced even a single issue, whereas some who've had nothing but issues. Is it down to luck? or Quality control procedures at the end of the assembly line? Whatever the case maybe, for the average owner it robs him/her of the ownership experience. Sure, its a complex piece of machinery and things may fail, but what about a consumer's expectation of a good ownership experience? Is the Nissan QQ the only car that exhibits these problems, definitely NO - all cars do. Hence, its all down to how a customer issue is handled. It may be safe to say then that there is some complacency and lack of customer support given the overwhelming success of the QQ - which according to me is a fact.

I am a relatively young car owner - this is my third car in 6 years that I have owned cars. 1 Ford & on a different continent, still have my dad using it & runs with aplomb being 4 years old, hardly any faults & if any sorted out with the least headache provided by the dealer. Service engineers who actually reason out the service bill with you and explain each line item on the bill and try to push for warranty with the manufacturer, & a manufacturer who is more than willing to oblige. is it necessary?, well I appreciate it (being a car lover & all). So for me compared to ownership of the QQ and the dealer experience, does not even come close. But then it may even be down to a culture issue. Whatever it is, customer satisfaction is lacking.

Great car - value for money, is a fun car, amazing features. After sales service can be improved by leaps & bounds.

Wish Nissan would use some social analytics software to scan through forums and hear what customers are saying about them. Question is, do they even care!!! Correction - not just Nissan, all manufacturers.

Just for the record - I love my QQ. ;)
1.5 dCi 360. Ink Blue; Mud Flaps and Internal rubber mats & after market door sill plates.
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

Very good post and well put. As you say the main problem with Nissan is either poor dealers or the lack of interest or attitude of Nissan UK.
They should take a look and follow Toyota who rarely get any complaints and sort out any problems without issue.
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors