First time taking my new QQ Tekna on a long drive!

Reviews / Comments about the 2014 QashQai
ImoT

Post by ImoT »

So today I took my brand new QQ on a trip to Gloucestershire (about 2 hours each way). I have to say overall I am very impressed, auto high beam was a particular highlight! We tried out as much as we could, and just have noticed the following slightly ‘negative’ things;

- Cruise control - overall it is fantastic. It maintains the set speed uphill which I am impressed with. However downhill it fails completely. Even though it still is shown as being set (ie. the icon on the screen is green), downhill the car completely runs away with us and does not stop unless you press the brake. We had a look in the manual and it does say that cruise control isn’t the best when it’s hilly but this seems quite dangerous?

-DAB radio - better quality than FM when it works! However it spends most of it’s time cutting out. I know there is a software update linked to DAB radio failure so have said that in my email to Nissan.

- Slight acceleration lag - overall the acceleration is pretty good and overtaking is easy. However when I was going from a standstill (e.g. at a roundabout or junction) there was a good few seconds of lag between putting my foot on the accelerator and actually moving! Is this normal?! If so it’s just something i’ll have to get used to.

I've emailed the sales guy I dealt with with my thoughts and am awaiting a reply. I've also done some searching on here and it appears the acceleration lag could just be a feature of the CVT QQ? The DAB radio seems to be linked to a software update. I couldn't find any info on the cruise control downhill though so if anyone has any comments on this (or comments about anything else) please let me know.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Hi Imot, well it certainly looks overall that you are pleased with your QQ. With regard to your problems we do not have a CVT and the DAB Radio might well be different as we live in Berlin and do not have problems. I have added an attachment which might help you, did you try when you said it was speeding downhill pressing Button 2 and controlling your speed that way by reducing your speed. It might well be the CVT Box which I cannot answer for - just a comment Dave ;)

image.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Beardyman

Post by Beardyman »

I have the same experience with my QQ when going downhill. It exceeds the set speed, beeps and flashes the display but still gets faster. My previous car was a Mercedes that actively braked to hold the car at the indicated speed. The QQ seems to rely on engine braking even with speed limiter selected, rather than cruise control. I've got used to it now but initially it was irritating as there is a 30mph speed limit close to where I live on a steep downhill that comes after an unrestricted (60mph) stretch. It feels very slow after driving for a few miles on open road. In the Merc I'd use the speed limiter to ensure I kept legal. The QQ gets up to 50mph even with the limiter set to 30. I now have to brake. Not the end of the world ( and yes, I should be in control and drive correctly) but it does mean the speed limiter is effectively useless in this case.
1.2 DiG-T TEKNA petrol manual panoramic, nightshade. Easy-Lift bonnet gas strut kit.
QDay 28.11.2014
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

ImoT / Beardyman, looks like you have raised a good Safety point here. To be honest I have never noticed this but in Berlin there are very little hills , except for the man made ones from the WW11 remains. ImoT has mentioned she has contacted Nissan , Beardyman have you or will you do the same with your Dealer or NCS ?. It is an interesting point that needs answering - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
ImoT

Post by ImoT »

Hi Dave. Pressing button 2, or any buttons at all, doesn't bring the car back to the desired speed. We tried the speed limiter like Beardyman and that doesn't work downhill either. It's incredibly dangerous. I think my sales guy is just going to say 'well it says in the manual not to use it when it's hilly', so I think I will email NCS too as I feel like it's quite dangerous!
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

ImoT, what I was just trying to indicate was that you can accelerate or decelerate by pressing button 2. I have had a look around and all I can find is an old comment 2013 on the qashqaiclub.co.uk where it states the same problem on the earlier model J10 - Dave ;)

Here is the attachment for your ref : http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/cruise-c ... 12541.html
Bigiain
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Bigiain »

From my experience speeding up going downhill is normal for cruise control

Maybe its only the higher end cars that allow the cruise control to apply the brakes?

I've never owned a higher end car (Audi, Merc, BMW etc) - I have owned Nissans (primera from 1998 and now QQ), Honda, Toyota and Vauxhall - in all of them , the cruise control did not have the ability to apply the brake, so the car sped up going downhill under cruise control.
Qashqai 1.3 Dig-T MH 158 Tekna 72 Plate in Grey
switchback

Post by switchback »

Bigiain wrote:From my experience speeding up going downhill is normal for cruise control

Maybe its only the higher end cars that allow the cruise control to apply the brakes?
Same experience for me as well with several Mazdas. No different to an HGV that's legally limited to 56mph but will do over 70mph loaded downhill with no brakes applied.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

This might help, it is Nissan’s „Intelligent Cruise Control“ from the US which as mentioned by “bigiain” appears to be available on the more expensive models – US for example – Dave ;)

The descriptions of how this activates just might help to understand this feature :

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOL ... W/icc.html

Please Note that the first video might not work :
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/ ... l-icc-tech
Beardyman

Post by Beardyman »

DaveBerlin wrote:ImoT / Beardyman have you or will you do the same with your Dealer or NCS ?. It is an interesting point that needs answering - Dave
Dave, no I haven't raised this point. I just assumed that was how Nissan speed limiter works. Next time I go into the dealership I'll mention it I but expect to be told it's a "feature" rather than a fault. ;)

Knowing how it works means I know what to expect (and subsequently don't really use speed limiter, though I do use cruise control on long journeys) so it doesn't bother me unduly.
1.2 DiG-T TEKNA petrol manual panoramic, nightshade. Easy-Lift bonnet gas strut kit.
QDay 28.11.2014