2016 1.2 Dig-t N-connecta manual

Reviews / Comments about the 2014 QashQai
redqashqai
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by redqashqai »

Six month review. 2,800 miles.

The first brand new car that I have bought for 28 years so very apprehensive to say the least.

Very impressed so far, went for the N-Connecta because it was loaded with the tech that I desired. Only fault has been the upper windscreen camera which failed after 3 months, replaced under warranty. This camera enables the lane departure warning, high beam assist, traffic sign recognition and forward emergency breaking. All four of these safety features are of value and although initially dubious I am now a convert.

The sat nav has received criticism on the forum but I have found it accurate and helpful. The selected route can be reviewed before start and any modifications can be introduced by using waypoints. A google send to car app can also be used. Real-time traffic warnings are provided seamlessly via RDS FM radio broadcasts. DAB radio has been faultless and I have also made full use of the CD player. Not used any USB or AUX input yet but regularly charge up 2 mobiles from the two 12 volt outlets. The bluetooth also handles both our phones but when both our phones are in the car it connects to the last used mobile.

The dual zone climate control is effective and along with the steering wheel controls provides a level of comfort and control that we both enjoy, particularly on the longer journeys.

I find the ride quiet and smooth and the seats comfortable. I am struggling to find anything negative to say about the car.

The golden rule for the 1.2 engine is not to let the engine labour in any gear. The car will become unresponsive and drink petrol like a tramp on meths.

1. When driving around town only use 3 gears, when you reach 30 mph the combimeter will tell you to change to 4th. Ignore it.

2. In short, don't be afraid of keeping the revs up in any gear. The engine is an economical petrol engine and my real world figure is 44 mpg and I do a lot of short town journeys.

3. Don't let the engine labour, have I already said that?

I love the car and my only reservation is the cost of repairs and replacements in the long term.
Current: 2020 1.3 DIG-T QQ NTEC - Manual J11b - Magnetic Red - delivered 10.20.
Previous: 2018 1.2 DIG-T QQ N-Connecta - Manual J11b - Magnetic Red - delivered 09.18.
Previous: 2016 1.2 DIG-T QQ N-Connecta - Manual J11a - Flame Red - delivered 04.16.

switchback

Post by switchback »

redqashqai wrote:S Only fault has been the upper windscreen camera which failed after 3 months, replaced under warranty. This camera enables the lane departure warning, high beam assist, traffic sign recognition and forward emergency breaking.
Good to hear from a satisfied owner :D . Forward Emergency Braking is activated by a radar in the front bumper, and I think that the Lane Departure uses the cameras beneath the door mirrors 8-) .
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

I'd largely agree with what you're saying - apart from the fact I'm only getting about 33mpg - mostly my 2.5 mile commute. I also rarely experience stop/start - it didn't happen during 2x23 mile drives yesterday.

Perhaps both are down to me not revving it enough, even though I usually disregard the change-up indicator.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
redqashqai

Post by redqashqai »

switchback wrote:Forward Emergency Braking is activated by a radar in the front bumper, and I think that the Lane Departure uses the cameras beneath the door mirrors 8-) .
Wrong on both counts. Forward Emergency Braking is activated by radar BEHIND the front bumper AND the upper windscreen camera. If either fail then a warning light appears on the speedometer and Forward Emergency Braking is deactivated. I know this from experience.

Lane Departure also uses the upper windscreen camera. The cameras beneath the door mirrors are for parking and for the around view monitor.

As I stated, the upper windscreen camera enables the lane departure warning, high beam assist, traffic sign recognition AND forward emergency breaking.
Previous: 2018 1.2 DIG-T QQ N-Connecta - Manual J11b - Magnetic Red - delivered 09.18.
Previous: 2016 1.2 DIG-T QQ N-Connecta - Manual J11a - Flame Red - delivered 04.16.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Red, don't be a smart arse; this is a friendly forum.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
redqashqai

Post by redqashqai »

gloucester wrote:I'd largely agree with what you're saying - apart from the fact I'm only getting about 33mpg - mostly my 2.5 mile commute. I also rarely experience stop/start - it didn't happen during 2x23 mile drives yesterday.
I intend to keep this thread updated as I continue to experience my new 1.2 n-connecta.

I have found that in the short time since I did the initial review the mpg has dropped from 44 mpg to 42 mpg. This is not due to the fact that the engine has issues or my style of driving - it is simply because of the type of driving that I have done over the last few weeks. Over the last month we have not done any long journeys, just short town journeys - individual crawling journeys over 2 miles which have recorded journey figures of around 23 mpg.

With regard to the stop/start, I regard it as just a nod to the environmental pressures on car manufactures, it works perfectly in my petrol car but would rather it didn't exist. I entered a supermarket today with a diesel Audi parked next to me with his engine running, I left 30 minutes later and yes - you guessed it - his engine was still running. This pill@ck probably polluted the environment with more harmful NOx gasses than I will in the lifetime of my car. I am sure that many regularly experience this with cars, taxis and buses. In Preston we have a fleet of Hybrid buses but regularly have stationary buses at the local ASDA pumping out NOx gases from their diesel engines for up to 10 minutes at a time.
kwaka

Post by kwaka »

Interesting thread red, but have to jump in and comment on your Audi diesel attack.

I had a Audi A1 TDI previous to buying my petrol Qash cow. The possible reason the Audi may have been running whilst your stop/start had stopped maybe because it may have been doing a re gen. This is an unavoidable service procedure a new diesel cars have to clean the DPF filter.

Main reason I swopped to petrol as my journeys were to short for a DPF car.
1.2 Dig-t N-connecta manual
redqashqai

Post by redqashqai »

Had the car for 2 years and 4 months now and have been offered a good deal to swap for a brand new version of the same model. Only done 12,000 miles so the dealer seems pretty keen to take my car. Over the 28 months the miles per gallon has been just under 40 mpg, but I have done a lot of short journeys around town, particularly in the last 12 months.

Reluctant to let the car go but I didn't intend to keep it beyond 3 years anyway. Will let you know the details of the new car when it is finalised. I assume that the spare wheel that I purchased with my 2016 J11 will fit the facelift model? If anyone could offer confirmation then it would be most appreciated.
Sandgrounder
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Sandgrounder »

I checked with the dealer, before I ordered my current QQ in August last year, that the existing spare should fit and he confirmed it would.

I therefore swapped the spare wheel over from my 2014 N-Tec J11A to my current 2017 N-Connecta J11B when I collected it last year. I also made sure the can of gunk and compressor was in the new QQ. So you should be alright to do the same when you collect your new QQ :)
redqashqai wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:31 pm I assume that the spare wheel that I purchased with my 2016 J11 will fit the facelift model? If anyone could offer confirmation then it would be most appreciated.
Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Previously: 1.2 N-Tec DIG-T 115 J11A ~ Blade Silver (Nov 14-Sep 17)
Sandgrounder
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Sandgrounder »

Just to say, this 1.2 engine is a marked improvement over the last one. No more noticeable turbo lag or oil problems, touch wood. Seems more responsive and better all round.

Just filled up with petrol and the range on a full tank of petrol is showing 540 miles and I’ve just achieved 52 mpg on a 5 mile journey :)

8DBDB4B0-F703-4DF8-83BC-FC7AC6DDB5A1.jpeg

Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Previously: 1.2 N-Tec DIG-T 115 J11A ~ Blade Silver (Nov 14-Sep 17)