19 inch wheels ride quality

Reviews / Comments about the 2014 QashQai
mikeburton1955

Post by mikeburton1955 »

Quite a lot of Internet reviews reviews bemoan the ride quality of the 19 inch rims which are standard on the Tekna specification. What's the experience of owners on this forum of the larger wheels and have any owners had the opportunity to make a meaningful comparison against smaller rims? Mine doesn't arrive until mid June, time drags................
Ordered Tekna 1.5 dCi in Gun Metal from Buyacar.co.uk on 18th March, delivery expected mid June

AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Didn't order the Tekna but on my test drive i didn't think they were that bad.They were a little harder than the 17's on the Accenta premium i eventually went for but i didn't find them as bad as i expected.I was more worried about the costs of additional tyres and likeliness of kerbing than anything else.I admit my review is based on 2 x 30 minute back to back comparissons but they were both over the same(ish) route.They are certainly not "spine mangling" like the run flats on a few bmw's i've had the (mis)fortune to go in.
AlleyCat2014-04-10 13:05:41
Nissan no more...
TC3

Post by TC3 »

Test rode 2 Tekna models and the ride impressed me. I do not think the 17 inch wheels I have are much better but in all honesty should you not be test riding before ordering?Like Alleycat I too was not wanting the expense of the tires on 19" rims and I am sure I would have kerbed them by now while the 17" have survived as they are more recessed
Tony ... 1.5 Acenta Premium in Gunmetal

jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

OK I can give you a real review after driving on 19 inch wheels for 6 weeks. Firstly for their size they ride very well, the car on the road is much smoother than my previous Yeti on 17 inch wheels so I am happy. When I test drove cars with both wheels I did not notice much difference but probably did not do enough miles over a variety of roads to be fair.In all fairness I would imagine the 17 inch give a slightly better ride due to more sidewall giving a more springy ride, but don't forget thinner sidewalls on larger tyres give less body roll and are better on corners at higher speed so there is an advantage there.Ultimately the look great, yes there is serious risk of kerbing, hence fitting AlloyGaytors, the tyres will cost you more, but this evens out as the tyres will last longer.Conclusion: I am happy with mine
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
TC3

Post by TC3 »

Jonceebee was just wondering what you said about the tires lasting longer. Why would that be the case? Forgive my ignorance
Tony ... 1.5 Acenta Premium in Gunmetal

montimar

Post by montimar »

I tested both the 19" wheels and the 17" wheels and found the 19" wheels a little harsh so opted for the 17". Not a big differance but noticeable so it's really down to the individual.
April 2014 Acenta 1.6 Xtronic Blade Silver
mikeburton1955

Post by mikeburton1955 »

Thanks for your replies so far. I did test drive the Tekna and Premium but at the time paid more attention to the interior trim and gizmos so went for the Tekna. It didn't feel all that different to me but the drives were only a few miles. Since then I had noticed quite a few reviews that criticised the 19" rims so its good to get feedback from everyone here. What occurred to me is that the Nissan engineers would have accounted for this in their own testing and not compromised the ride quality for the sake of looks (I could be wrong of course). Sometimes professional car reviewers can get a bit hung up on one aspect and amplify it out of proportion so its good to see what owners really think.The problem with kerbing and the use of AlloyGators is something I need to give serious thought to, thanks for that. It would be good to know how they are performing as time goes by.Great forum by the way.
Ordered Tekna 1.5 dCi in Gun Metal from Buyacar.co.uk on 18th March, delivery expected mid June
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

[quote="jonceebee"]
OK I can give you a real review after driving on 19 inch wheels for 6 weeks. Firstly for their size they ride very well, the car on the road is much smoother than my previous Yeti on 17 inch wheels so I am happy. When I test drove cars with both wheels I did not notice much difference but probably did not do enough miles over a variety of roads to be fair.In all fairness I would imagine the 17 inch give a slightly better ride due to more sidewall giving a more springy ride, but don't forget thinner sidewalls on larger tyres give less body roll and are better on corners at higher speed so there is an advantage there.Ultimately the look great, yes there is serious risk of kerbing, hence fitting AlloyGaytors, the tyres will cost you more, but this evens out as the tyres will last longer.Conclusion: I am happy with mine[/QUOTE]Have only had my car a week, well actually six days and with just over a 100 miles, but I do agree with the above, a previous car was a BMW330d Touring and that really was a bumpy ride albeit a fast one. The QQ is no slouch either albeit hopeless at racing away from the lights, you have to start the engine first! On that subject it seems to me that if you don't wear your seatbelt you don't get Stop/Start - what a clever car it is.
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
iMike

Post by iMike »

Can anybody with the 19"s tell me what brand of tyres Nissan are using?thanks in advance
1.2DiGT Tekna Storm white, Premium chrome pack
sl8999

Post by sl8999 »

The ones on mine are Continental ContiSportContact5 (225/45 R19W).

Ride quality is fine.
2014 Tekna 1.2DiG-T Ink Blue