First few weeks with new N Connecta 1.5DCi

Reviews / Comments about the 2014 QashQai
fbgqashqai
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by fbgqashqai »

Just thought I'd add my thoughts on my new N Connecta after 3 weeks and 700 miles of ownership.

I sort of rushed into the buying the car whilst out shopping for a cheapish run around to replace a Clio 1.5 DCi 106. Suffice to say I didn't meet my aim having bought a pre-registered car with 3 miles on the clock!

All looked great in the dealership and the test drive was good with both the wife and I enjoying the initial drive. We arranged to collect the car 5 days later and I then started to get worried reading some of the reviews about the vehicle prior to pickup. However, reading through a lot on this forum and elsewhere, the majority of issues highlighted seem to be with early J11 models. Although there will always be issues with any car and most people will more likely write about problems rather than praise vehicles that just deliver day-to-day, it remains to be seen how things go for me of course.

Anyway here we are a few weeks in and so far I am impressed. I ran the the vehicle in staying below 2000 rpm for the first 350 miles and gently stretched the revs above this over the last few hundred miles. I now have completed just over 700 miles and my average mpg is 67.9.

The vehicle is very comfortable and the fit and finish seems on a par with several new Renault vehicles I have owned since about 1991 (last new one on 06 plate). I like the 360 deg cameras and I am learning how close the system allows me to get to kerbs and other obstacles without damage. There are a few too many electrical toys on the vehicle for my liking but that seems to be the way modern cars are going, I just hope they prove reliable in the longer term. The emergency braking system seems to reduce insurance a little but I don't really think I will be using lane departure warning system much or indeed cruise control.

The entertainment system seems quite good, the sound is definitely on a par with other similar priced vehicles and easily outshines that in my Mazda MX5! I have a 64Gb USB stick filled with tunes and the system handles this very well. It also does a good job controlling an Apple Ipod Touch. I don't listen to the radio too much but the DAB system is clear with good reception and no drop outs so far even on local channels.

I have a small rattle coming from near the glove box or left air vent, not sure which at present and this is more notable as the air temperature has dropped over the last day or so. I will investigate over the new few days and get this looked at if necessary.

So initial impressions are good. I am happy having chosen the N Connecta over the Tekna as I didn't need leather heated seats, nor more electrical devices and I definitely didn't want 19 inch wheels that look very easy to kerb. The 18 inch wheels on the N Connecta look well protected by the fitted Continental tyres. I have had these tyres on several Renault Scenics in the past getting upwards of 40k before needing replacement, hopefully it will be similar here rather than the much lower replacement mileage many seem to indicate on the sportier 19 inch wheels on the Tekna.

The only mod to date is the addition of some smart Lockwood stainless steel sill protectors which were extremely easy to fit and really look like original equipment but much cheaper than the Nissan offering. I have also fitted a net in the boot that I have kept in storage since about 1990 from an Isuzu Trooper, a perfect fit. I have ordered the spare wheel kit which is due for delivery today as I am not a fan of goop although I expect this to reduce boot space as a result.

Another area that I will shortly address is the rather pathetic horn which is not becoming of any vehicle. I have a spare pair of horns that will certainly sound better when fitted. I also plan to order some chrome trim rings for the speakers which will provide a little relief from the acres of black plastic on the door trims.

Thanks to all for their interesting posts and hints and tips, I intend to keep a close eye on the forums and I will update my experiences over the coming months.
fbgqashai 2017 J11a N Connecta 1.5DCi in Silver

fbgqashqai

Post by fbgqashqai »

Recently broke the 1000 mile mark and so far so good. Fitted the spare wheel kit which takes up a little boot space but not a serious issue. Now on third tank of diesel (first tank returned 66.9 mpg and second 64.5 (more spirited driving/extra weight from spare wheel?). Weather permitting will fit new twin horns this weekend.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Depending on ambient temperatures and journey distances etc, expect your mpg to average closer to the mid 50's range. Good runs in warm dry weather can be in the 70's.
fbgqashqai

Post by fbgqashqai »

Vehicle only does longer daily trips (50 miles round trip) when used for work and I don't drive it hard. I had a Renault Clio 1.5DCi 102 prior to this and regularly got close to 70 mpg during the warmer months. I expect to drop into the mid/low fifties as the weather cool off.
raefil

Post by raefil »

Perhaps my only gripe of my QQ is the conti tyres, im very light footed on the revs but the front tyres were done by 30k
J11b 1.5dci NConeccta Vivid blue
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I'm also very carfull with the right foot, including breaking & mine will be done by 20k miles, 19 inch rims, awd & i tow a caravan now & again.
raefil wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:27 pm Perhaps my only gripe of my QQ is the conti tyres, im very light footed on the revs but the front tyres were done by 30k
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

What are you breaking with your right foot? :lol:
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Pandjh
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Pandjh »

Me? Usually the speed limit...
2019 1.3 DiG-T 160 Tekna, black (J11b)
prev 2015 1.2 DiG-T n-tec+, black (J11)
prev 2009 1.5 dCi Acenta, black (J10)
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

Pandjh wrote:Me? Usually the speed limit...

badumtish.gif

Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
fbgqashqai

Post by fbgqashqai »

Nissan mudflaps fitted. The frontswere a doddle but rears needed wheels removing and difficult to align a plastic clip through mud flap, plastic and metal bodywork. Neat finish when done. Also fitted chrome speaker rims (chinese). Nice finish but double sided tape useless but new scotch double sided tape easily sorted out the front ones. The rears don't mount in the same way due to different moulding on door panel so had to double up in tape so shows slightly. Now need to matt black paint over this to hide it!