Vibration buzz when car started from cold

Reviews / Comments about the 2014 QashQai
bobmail1404
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by bobmail1404 »

My Qashqai Tekna has a really irritating buzzing noise which only happens when the car is started from cold (eg after being left overnight) and lasts about 3 - 5 minutes before disappearing for the rest of the day!

It sounds like its coming from the footwell behind the lower dashboard and reverberates mostly when revs are applied as car is pulling away.

It seems to me that it must be something which expands when it warms up which is either not properly secured or which is positioned next to something which does that.

Any suggestions please? My local Nissan dealer can't find it although I accept it's hard to track down because it only happens for a few minutes each day!

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Could be absolutely anything unfortunately. I had a cable that was vibrating against the inside of the housing around the gearstick and cup holders. Trial and error found it.
rummenn

Post by rummenn »

Hi, I have the same problem - it only happens when the car is cold and accelerating. ,...few minutes and it's gone.
I have a CVT gearbox - if that makes any difference :)
I will let you know, if I manage to track it down.
almayb

Post by almayb »

I’ve got it with my 2014 j11 tekna, the colder it is the louder it is. Appears to be from loudest just in front of drivers side front wheel? Mentioned it to dealer when I had service but they couldn’t hear it.
64 plate 1.5 tekna - Bronze.
bobmail1404

Post by bobmail1404 »

My noise has been tracked down to the heater matrix area which is down behind the lower centre dashboard. It has been "padded out" and is now much better but I still get an intermittent occasional problem which is nothing like as irritating as it was before.
Mark46

Post by Mark46 »

My QQ has a temperature related buzzing/ vibration from the dashboard, if I keep my hand pressed firmly on top of the flat area in the centre then it goes away, not ideal when your trying to drive I suppose. I have tried other heavy objects - the wifes shopping, hand bag etc but this obviously affects visibility. I just turn the radio up now, when it works!
QQ 2014 (64) 1.5dci n-tec+ (gun metallic)
DRL mod & mud flaps.
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

I have this problem with my 17 plate 1.2 qashqai, It only lasts for a minute or two the colder the louder and longer it lasts so was wondering if it was something to do with a cold start mechanism the car has, Any ideas would be much appreciated
Thanks johnboy.
Mark46

Post by Mark46 »

I think you will find that when the ambient air temperature is low then certain materials will contract, this allows a gap to form between said materials i.e dash which then allows them to vibrate together causing the buzzing/ rattling noises we hear.
Then when things warm up a bit the materials expand and fit tightly together, no more buzzing.
That’s my reasoning behind it, anyone got any spare silicone, preferably black?
Basically we have purchased “Friday afternoon noon” cars. 😁
QQ 2014 (64) 1.5dci n-tec+ (gun metallic)
DRL mod & mud flaps.
rummenn

Post by rummenn »

My noise has been tracked down to the heater matrix area which is down behind the lower centre dashboard. It has been "padded out" and is now much better but I still get an intermittent occasional problem which is nothing like as irritating as it was before.
Could you, please, do a picture of the area?...if you find few free minutes :D

Thanks