FAQ: Diesel engines and DPF

Frequently Asked Questions
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

[quote="Kentishman"]I would like to thank all those knowledgable people on here for the benefit of that knowledge. As someone else has said it is a two edged sword as the less knowledgable of us have the fear of God put into them that we are going to break down tommorrowCould I justt comment on one view. The average motorist, like me, was not aware of the fact that apparently modern diesels are not suitable for urban driving. I used to drive a discovery diesel which never gave me any issues, so when I changed back from my prius to a new diesel, which I had to have for the automatic, ii asummed newer models would be even better. The dpf issue was not raised by salesman, was not in the general media, nor in any of the magazine articles I looked at. This experience is mirrored by all the people I have spoken to at a local club.I repeat I am grateful for or the benefit of anyone's knowledge but am concerned that low mileage people are somehow how stupid for buying a diesel and any problems are their fault. This is not a generally known issue[/QUOTE]
When I bought my first modern Nissan with a DPF, the salesmen did ask me what kind of driving I would be doing and warned that a diesel was not suitable for certain types of driving conditions. They did touch on the question again when I changed the Juke for the Qashqai. Perhaps the salesmen at my particular dealership are better trained or more aware and conscientious than some others?Don't get paranoid about this issue though. You might never have a problem. I certainly don't expect a problem on mine until well over 100,000 miles, if I keep it that long.

Kentishman

Post by Kentishman »

Thankyou. Am delighted with it, no problems to date, would recommend to anyone, ( with siutable journey parameters!,)
Tekna 1.6 CVT Nightshade
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Yes, don't worry about it, as we have seen already plenty of people are doing short trips, but its just being aware that you may need to give it a good blast every now and then. If you already do a decent drive every now and then, then I see no need to worry at all. This thread is about finding out the facts of the DPF, as you may have seen sometimes comments can get a little heated but its often hard to project tone over text! I will go through the new information found and merge it into the 2nd post when I get a few moments!
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Yes I too do a lot of short journeys, and had some initial concerns on DPF front. I have noticed engine sounds to be hunting(regenerating?) quite often, after such trips, when I reverse up drive..never in forward.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

Oddly, I could tell when the Juke was due to regenerate, as the engine note became harsher, almost like a mild petrol 'pinking' [who remembers that?"]]. The Qashqai, in this generation, is far more refined and I have yet to notice any sign of regenerating. It may be that the mass of insulation on top of the engine or the general installation is more effective, or it may be that the regeneration cycle itself is different, not sure which. Maybe a combination of things.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Currently sat in work with the power turned off whilst some guys mess around with a sub station! Joys, thank god for a 20kva UPS, a laptop and some creative wiring so I can stay on the internet for 4hrs whilst they do their work! I have updated the 2nd post again and cleaned out a lot of the debate/fact finding.
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

Hi

Fist time I've had a Diesel (QQ 1.5 J11 model) and I've been reading with interest the views/facts/opinions on the DPF.
Having read the posts, and getting 45 MPG around town for the past 6 weeks, at what point if any should I be concerned?
I'd appreciate any input or reference what MPG or fuel efficiency you get with a healthy/unhealthy DPF.

Thanks, Dan
Catmandoo

Post by Catmandoo »

I had a new Toyota diesel a couple of years ago and when that regenerated the idle revs would go from 800 to 1000 revs until it had finished and there was a distinct smell also.
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

Occasionally after a short journey in ordinary temperatures, the fan comes on when the engine is stopped, and stays on for several minutes, despite the engine not appearing to be especially hot. I've always assumed this had something to do with regeneration. I've never noticed any change in performance.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

I believe fan is just cooling turbo down after longish run; regeneration is normally noticeable
by change in engine sound whilst it's happening.
I recall some saying that after longish run with any turbo you should let engine run for a few minutes
to cool turbo down.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D