FAQ: 1.2 DIG-T (HRA2DDT) Engine Oil Spec

Frequently Asked Questions
uamade

Post by uamade »

Hello to everyone from a bitog user (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/),

Same here. I own Nissan Pulsar with 1.2 DIG-T engine and my manual only specs 5W-40 ACEA A3/B4 oil. No mention of ACEA C* oils. I think our engine is quite hard on oil and that's why Nissan specs Full SAPS oil (A3/B4): it has a plenty of ZDDP additive as well as high HTHS viscosity which is typical for A3/B4.

The 5W-40 is chosen over 5W-30 is probably due to the presence of turbo and the fact the it runs quite hot. Personally, I would not use ACEA A1/A5 or C oils in this engine because:

1. A1/A5 has a lower HTHS viscosity than the A3/B4
2. It is a tappet engine and the cam lobes push directly on valve pushers, so it would be nice to use Full SAPS oil in this application with plenty of ZDDP
3. Most of lube adbisers I check (Motul, Castrol, Shell) recommend 5W-40 A3/B4 with MB 229.5 spec (one of the most strict specs in the world)
happy owner of Pulsar 1.2 DIG-T xtronic from Switzerland

Iandee

Post by Iandee »

JUst stumbled on this FAQ as I also wanted a top up available for a 200 + mile round trip coming up nad my dip stick is near the lower marker. HOwever I used one of the links to double cheque and this came up

Magnatec 10W-40 A3/B4
Engine HRA2DDT
OR
GTX 10W-40 A3/B4
Engine HRA2DDT

Now I am confused as to my simple non tech mind this is different to what has been mentioned before; although there were some earlier posts the last was but more up to date. Where DO I go from here please?
Ian Dee
1.2 petrol manual Acenta Premium Dig-T Reg May 2014, Magnetic Red. bought Feb 2015.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Do as recommended in your handbook/manual, that way you cant be blamed by Nissan if there are any problems. Suggest you top up before you go, not just leave it to chance.
Iandee

Post by Iandee »

thanks gvmdaddy, its still difficult, several sites dont even list 1.2 but this link quotes it and the engine
https://www.wilcodirect.co.uk/Nissan-Qa ... s/CO-SYN1L# so I think Ill get a litre Just in case, as you say. I have a service due at end of Feb
Ian Dee
1.2 petrol manual Acenta Premium Dig-T Reg May 2014, Magnetic Red. bought Feb 2015.
Iandee

Post by Iandee »

I ended up with 1L of Castrol Magnatec 5w-40 C3 which seems to meet the numbers. europart £11.99. Strangely after the car has been standing for a couple of days the oil level on the dipstick is much higher than before.
Ian Dee
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Be careful as oil can track up the stick / tube through capillary action.

If you can, always remove the dip stick, wipe the stick, wait for 10 mins or so and then dip.

Iandee wrote:I ended up with 1L of Castrol Magnatec 5w-40 C3 which seems to meet the numbers. europart £11.99. Strangely after the car has been standing for a couple of days the oil level on the dipstick is much higher than before.
Ukulekeman
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Ukulekeman »

I have recently bought a Qashqai and have checked the manual re which oil to use, but it mentions different engines and I can’t work out which one I have. Is the HRA2DDT the standard one or how do you tell as the engine pictures in the manual don’t look anything like my engine?
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

Ukulekeman wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:08 pm I have recently bought a Qashqai and have checked the manual re which oil to use, but it mentions different engines and I can’t work out which one I have. Is the HRA2DDT the standard one or how do you tell as the engine pictures in the manual don’t look anything like my engine?
Is it petrol or diesel....1200 or 1600....... Or 1500 diesel how old is the car?????......david
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
Ukulekeman
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Ukulekeman »

Hi. It’s a new 67 plate 1.2 dig-t n-connecta - petrol
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

Same engine as mine......... Nissan oil. W 5=40 =hra2ddt its in your handbook...with no plastic cover over the engine.......read some posts as. how to check your oil as its messy ....best of luck with your new car.....david
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car