What Engine, am I making the right choice?

Frequently Asked Questions
Rizza

Post by Rizza »

Hello all, I'm about to place an order for a new Qashqai to replace our second car. I cover less than 8K miles per annum, my travel consists of short trips under 10 miles during the week and about 60 - 80 miles at weekends often with a couple of bikes on roof racks.

The current car the Qashqai will replace is a 1.2L turbocharged 2 door hatch which has served me well without complaints, but I need something bigger and more comfortable. Due to the limited mileage I cover and the fact I don't tow stuff about, I reckon I'll be better served by a petrol engine - Is this a reasonable decision?

I test drove a 1.2 petrol engine 2 years ago and found it 'adequate', however I'm reading about higher engine oil consumption on that engine, and with the 1.6 DIG engine offering performance improvements without much economic penalties, I'm drawn to it, however there are very limited reviews of the engine. Is there anyone with a 1.6L variant tell me what they see as the pros and cons, particularly in comparison to the 1.2L engine.

I'm pretty sure either engine will be satisfactory, but I want to make a well informed decision. Thanks.

Rizza

ps..... Gunmetal as well, right?

NorfolkJohn

Post by NorfolkJohn »

I have a 1.6 DIG-T and am very happy with it. My usage is similar to yours - during the week there are a lot of short journeys - 2 or 3 miles at a time, then longer at weekends.

We went for petrol rather than diesel because I was concerned about the DPF with our limited usage.

The QQ is still very new - less than 1,000 miles on the clock but so far I am very pleased with the car and it's performance. For the type of car it is I would describe it as "fast enough" but in absolute terms it's not a "fast car". As you move from say a 30 zone to a 40 zone or 40 to 60 it certainly picks up speed quickly enough, and I've had no problems with overtaking etc. Definitely not "sluggish" particularly if you use the gearbox.

Economy wise I am getting 45 - 47 mpg on a long journey. Overall consumption is 36mpg since new but that involves a lot of city driving and a fair bit of sitting in traffic - the overall average speed for the car is only 21mph. I would say that 50mpg is definitely achievable on long journeys and will be surprised if I don't see it on the display at some point.

I'm afraid I haven't driven a 1.2 so can't compare - when we went for a test drive we were given a 1.6 DigT Tekna, we liked it and thought the performance was "good enough" so that's what we bought!

Hope this helps.
2016 Ink Blue 1.6 Dig-T Tekna with Pano Roof.
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

i have the 1.2 cvt xtronic.

i also find it adequate for my needs, even after a 140bhp primera .

i also tow a 750kg caravan , will be doing a long run in june.

being a cvt , i dont need to drop a gear to go , i just put my foot down , and it goes .

if you dont want cvt , the 1.6 has a lot more power , and probably similar economy , so its just a cost vs power decision.

diesel is a failed and fatally flawed technology completely off my radar .
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
switchback

Post by switchback »

Don't dismiss a diesel even though your low annual milage doesn't warrent one as your longer weekend journeys should be enough to keep the DPF clean. Try one and see what you think first.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
Rizza

Post by Rizza »

Thanks for the responses. Our other car which covers lots of mileage has a diesel engine so I have faith in diesel, but I'll disregard it for this purchase because the primary use is for short trips, and the overall mileage I'll cover won't be that high.

I've decided to test drive both engines and will consider the CVT option.

Rizza
paplane

Post by paplane »

I think the word 'adequate' perfectly sums up the 1.2. It's not poor but it's not brilliantly fast either.

The problem I have with mine is that there is next to no torque at low revs. This is most noticeable when you've slowed for an island (but not stopped) and then want to pull away quickly without changing down a gear. You put your foot on the gas and......nothing.
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

paplane wrote:I think the word 'adequate' perfectly sums up the 1.2. It's not poor but it's not brilliantly fast either.

The problem I have with mine is that there is next to no torque at low revs. This is most noticeable when you've slowed for an island (but not stopped) and then want to pull away quickly without changing down a gear. You put your foot on the gas and......nothing.
-------------------------------------

There is no problem with the cvt - put your foot on the gas and .... it goes!!

the cvt instantly adjusts to a lower ratio .

the problem is clinging on to prehistoric manual gearboxes .

jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

paplane wrote:I think the word 'adequate' perfectly sums up the 1.2. It's not poor but it's not brilliantly fast either.

you dont get that problem with the cvt - it instantly moves to a lower ratio and goes.

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

The 1.2 is a good engine. Don't be put off by the oil problems, they affected the early models and most have been fixed by a software fix, or in a small number of cases, had some engine parts replaced.

But, as you say, adequate. My drive to work and back is a 20 mile round trip on B roads. Is is more than capable engine, and handles well on the motorway. You do have to appreciate that it is indeed just a 1.2 and isn't going to set quick 1/4 mile times!

I find the opposite to the above post about torque. I feel that it drives very well low down as long as you are on boost, but it does come alive above 3krpm. I find that you do need to slightly adjust your driving style for any car with any turbo equipped engine as the power isn't always there if the turbo is not at sufficient speed to produce boost pressure, coupled with slow exhaust gases.

The 1.6 DIG-T will burn through more fuel, its a larger, more powerful engine. Saying that, if you take both easy it would probably average out.

I have no experience with any other engines, but I would personally avoid derv tech. My gut feeling is that the government will soon shaft derv owners.
Rizza

Post by Rizza »

I'm leaning more to a 1.2 CVT based on comments, I had previously not considered the auto option at all, but it makes a lot of sense.... and why not? Unfortunately I just realised my driving licence had expired while I was arranging a test drive appointment with the dealer, so I'll have to wait about a fortnight to make a decision.

Rizza