What Engine, am I making the right choice?

Frequently Asked Questions
TheSavage

Post by TheSavage »

Hi guys.

I've had a few QQ's now over the last few years and lucky enough to get a new one every 12 months as my father works at the main UK production plant in Sunderland.

For me, the best engine I've had so far is the 1.6 DCI. I have the tekna X tronic at the moment and soon to have the same again, and for me, it wipes the floor with the 1.5 DCI. You think to yourself, only a slightly bigger engine but that plus the extra bhp and torgue, make a big, big difference. I agree with Richard, and his reasons in that the bigger engines are safer and for me, a car that size, you need a decent engine. Of course modern engineering means smaller engines are more powerful, but I could ever never drop down now. I just wish they would do an even more powerful RS Nismo, I think they would sell loads!

Mpg never drops below 45 and we do short,
and long journeys. I was looking at the 1.6 dig t too but with it being manual only, it put me off plus I suspect the extra 60 lb per foot of torgue in the diesel will make it faster once it's on the go!

Just my opinion of course but I hope this is helpful!

ThreeSixty

Post by ThreeSixty »

Wow, TheSavage, a new QQ every 12 months. You are one lucky guy.
have you T.D ed both the 1.5 & 1.6 one after the other, if so, what were your impressions.

I could T.D the 1.6dCi, the dealer didnt have a 1.5dCi for test drive. Looking at the specs the 1.6 had much better torque&top end power, but looking at the top speed with the 1.6 being only a few mph faster, I decided on the 1.5 (the mpg figures also swung it for me). I really loved the way 1.5 behaved in a renault megane as well.

Well 15 months of ownership of the 1.5, & I have to say I am every bit as satisfied, and she does put a smile on my face as well. Never seems out of breath on the motorways as well here in Swiss & france(120&130 kmph) . Then when I landed in Germany, it was altogether a different story. I was running for cover with the audis,beamers & mercs showing me why they are in a different league altogether. Back to the 1.5, w.r.t speed, it can run all day around 160kmph, but beyond that, you know the engine is struggling. I did manage the claimed top speed of 180 kmph but it was'nt easy getting there and reduced immediately. I guess this where the extra bit from the 1.6 will make it easier.

W.r.t to mpg, give it a straight road & maintain speeds around 130kmph you shd be getting close to 50mpg. But go beyond this speed , it just nose dives.

In the mountains, you feel the need to rev the engine more, it does move briskly up hill, but does'nt seem effortless. mpg taking a hit as well.

But nevertheless it is rev happy engine & can keep you satisfied. but if want a bigger grin, the 1.6 it is.
1.5 dCi 360. Ink Blue; Mud Flaps and Internal rubber mats & after market door sill plates.
johnbull

Post by johnbull »

From personal experience I like to have the ability to pull out into the motorway stream no matter what speed they are doing when trapped on the inside lane behind a lorry. This is where the 1.6 diesel comes into its own.brute force. The 1.5 dci is a great alrounder but just does not have enough grunt for fast safe over takings or as previously explained .I had the 1.5 for 5 satisfactory years. The 1st 1.6 for 3 years and this j11 for almost 2 years. I like to be on the wrong side of the road for minimal time and mpg difference for a heavy footed 72 year old rally driver is minimal .1-2 mpg
Drive carefully, Live longer
TheSavage

Post by TheSavage »

I agree with JohnBull, the 1.6dci really comes into its own when you need to overtake or move away quickly. I've had three 1.5 DCI's, which were fine, but the 1.6DCI is so much better! I love the auto too and could never go back now, so much easier to drive and the transmission is so smooth. You can also slip it into sport mode where the revs are held for longer and breaking is more responsive. As previously mentioned, I found a massive difference in performance between this and the 1.5DCi.

ThreeSixty, I don't quite follow why you chose the 1.5 DCI, the mpg is better I agree but that is it! The top end between the two is minimal but in the UK, there are cameras everywhere, and you get banned if you go over 100 mph. I'm really not bothered about top speed, more acceleration, overtaking and going up hills. Appreciate its not gonna compete with your high performance German cars, but it can handle its own due to nearly 250 pounds per foot of torgue! Having been lucky enough to have so many QQ, I really would go for the 1.6 DCI, if you get the chance, you will see a notable difference!
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

I completely disagree with the 'you can't overtske safely on the motorway in the 1.5dci' brigade. If thats the case then you need to learn a little more road craft. If you are pulling out late and feel you need 'extra' speed to complete your manoeuvre then you are already at risk of impeding vehicles currently in the lane you are moving out into. Its not more speed or power you need, its more foresight and better advance planning of your intended moves.
johnbull

Post by johnbull »

I'm not going to get into an argument about it , if that's what you believe then fine. I am Roadcraft ( police ) trained so I believe I do use adequate foresight probably more than most, but down here in Devon we also have motorways and dual carriageways full of holiday makers rushing to their holidays and in no mood to allow you to change lane when they are nose to tail in the center lane , they generally don't seem to know its an overtaking lane as is the third lane, {and don't get me started on the right hand lane hoggers on the dual carriageway } so all you can do is indicate ,match their speed and filter in when safe to do so . MY son in law bought the 1.5 dci and didn't know why I wanted the 1.6dci but now agrees there are shortcomings with the 1.5 dciin certain areas
Drive carefully, Live longer
TheSavage

Post by TheSavage »

I agree, not one to argue, this is just a discussion and opinion board but having driven for 20 years plus, and having had several QQ of different engine size, the 1.6 DCI is a better car, it's as simple as that for me. We are not talking about racing around, simply using the extra power and torgue to get you out of situations, which most of the time are down to the increasing numbers of bad drivers out there!
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

You've both shot yourselves in the foot with your comments, but if you cant see it.....anyway, each to their own.
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

gvmdaddy wrote:You've both shot yourselves in the foot with your comments, but if you cant see it.....anyway, each to their own.
i agree -- both betray a flawed attitude .
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
ThreeSixty

Post by ThreeSixty »

Was never my intention to start of an argument. Give the title of the topic, was trying to give an observation which could help a new buyer make a decision.
The 1.5 is no doubt a very able car but its just that 1.6 is better performance wise. It has to be , its a no brainier. Its quite evident from the numbers torque&power to weight ratio 210Nm/tonne & 84bhp/tonne compared to the 1.5's 183Nm/tonne & 76bhp/tonne.
Looking at factual comparisons, it is just a tad more agile compared to Suzuki Swift diesel, which is no slouch either.

So the writing is the wall. Hope no one accuses me of being 1.5 traitor. :?
1.5 dCi 360. Ink Blue; Mud Flaps and Internal rubber mats & after market door sill plates.