Diesel or Petrol 1.6?

Frequently Asked Questions
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I'm no expert on suspension so I looked up some extra info to go along with what you have given and aligns a little towards the reason I chose the AWD QQ. Better ride quality. Previously owned a Primera GT with independent multi link rear suspension and it was highly rated & capable of 1g lateral force in cornering.
Because torsion bars offer less isolation than independent systems, they can also allow more noise, vibration and harshness to filter into the cabin. So folks, if ride comfort is one of your primary requirements in a car, you may wish to consider the AWD QQ.
Torsion beam setups are relatively cheap and easy to manufacture, install and maintain, but they don't offer the engineer anywhere near the same amount of freedom to balance comfort, agility and stability as independent systems do.
Torsion bars take up less horizontal space than multi-link systems, netting more room for humans in the cabin and their stuff in the boot (Probably no difference between AWD / FWD QQs, would be interesting to know if this is the case though).
http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-advice/ ... sion-37837
gvmdaddy wrote:Nissan opted to use the torsion beam as the rear axle configuration for two reasons, to save costs, and to stiffen the back end of the car to reduce pitch and roll. It gives a firm ride over potholes and speed bumps, but does lessen roll on cornering. Rear multi link set ups offer a softer ride over such obstacles but also lend themselves to roll slightly more on cornering. More high end vehicles can reduce this by offering hydraulic set ups that can be changed at will by the driver. These systems offer the best of both worlds but do put the purchase price up quite a bit. The reason Nissan use the multi link setup on the AWD variant is because the torsion beam setup would get in the way of the driveshaft and diff. If they could use the torsion beam setup then im sure they would.

400andrising

Post by 400andrising »

You also missed the fact that if you bump a kerb (as I'm sure many owners will in the time they own the car), the torsion beam setup has limited geometry adjustability (or even none), which can severely impact steering.
It's old technology, anti roll bar for me ta.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Not such a big problem on the back end of a vehicle. If it was the problem you imply then you'd see millions of drivers struggling to keep their vehicle in a straight line and I assume many more failed MOTs.
400andrising

Post by 400andrising »

gvmdaddy wrote:Not such a big problem on the back end of a vehicle. If it was the problem you imply then you'd see millions of drivers struggling to keep their vehicle in a straight line and I assume many more failed MOTs.
Neither uneven tyre wear, or instability at speed would constitute an MOT failure yet a change to toe in or camber at rear resulting from a hard kerbing incident can seriously affect handling, and I've experienced that first hand in someone else's car after they did it and believe me you would notice it it's bloody dangerous.

Most tyre places have laser or similar alignment equipment, but on many cheap family cars (this one included) the rear can't be adjusted at all so if it's a bad one you have to live with it.
Owners of family vehicles probably wouldn't notice would be my guess as they don't tend to buy them for their performance and handling ;).
They'd probably just scratch their heads when they keep going through tyres unevenly.