Diesel or Petrol 1.6?

Frequently Asked Questions
400andrising

Post by 400andrising »

Hi everyone, replacing the wife's Peugeot 308 1.6 petrol (110bhp horrible engine) for something a bit bigger to transport our new family addition (and associated baggage!) and hopefully with a bit more poke.
The Qashqai looks to fit the bill in terms of looks and value for money, and the wife liked it but I had questions on the engine and reliability of the model as a whole having done a few google searches and watched the various reviews and read reviews on carbuyer.
Easy one first - if we are only doing short journies and want oomph should we go 1.6 petrol or spend the extra on the diesel and give it a blast periodically?
The way the brochure sells it the petrol is not that great in performance but weighs 75kg less that the DCI-130, is nearly a second quicker 0-60 and therefore would seem to be the better bet for any overtake manouvres.
Test drove the 1.5 DCI and felt it lacked grunt, so thinking 1.6 but not sure how much worse mpg will be on the petrol given that Nissan's mpg figures have been questionable on every video review I've seen.
What are people's experiences with mpg and performance on either pls? My own daily is a v8 M3 but my expectations are realistic - ideally I'd want about 140bhp in the car so my wife can move if she needs to.

Second - the car buyer reviews - I've read a few horror stories on there.
Were these the earlier cars only, or are these trim, battery, oil, water ingress and entertainment system faults still affecting a lot of people?

This has to be reliable enough to transport a one year old; we've been through meningitis already and nearly lost him at 3 days old so I want something I won't have to worry about. I had a Primera years ago and have stuck with Jap for nearly 15 years before going German (selling it soon lol, don't like it!) so was attracted to the Qashqai but the volume of posts I've seen has been sufficient to make me reconsider looking at a Tucsoj or Sportage instead.
Were they teething issues?

Thanks for taking the time to read above and appreciate everyone's comments.

Hackney

Post by Hackney »

Hi 400 & rising,I purchased a Qashqai about a month ago(2litre 6spd petrol,manual) these motors,unfortunately are not available in the UK variants(Australia only.).Stoked with it,car is well put together & well finished off.(Came out of the Sunderland plant.)Cheers:):)
Living the dream!
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

I can't comment on the petrol 1.6 having never driven one. I have the 130bhp 1.6 dCi, the only choice with a auto box apart from the 1.2 petrol.

It seems to have plenty of power for everyday use without having to rev it much, thanks to the 236 ft-lb torque (the 1.6 petrol has 177).

Worst fuel economy is 42mpg. It averages 48-52, and more on a long trip (once it was 65, but there was a lot of downhill travel!). A manual version would perhaps get a bit more than my CVT.

The 1.6 dCi has a system that works very well to clean out the DPF during normal operation of the car, so even short journey drivers won't have a problem with the filter.

Problems were more prevalent in early cars but still surface due to the sheer numbers manufactured. Like any car you probably have a hundred satisfied but silent owners to every one who complains, however justifiably, about a fault. Minor trim rattles, battery issues and sat nav or ICE connection problems do crop up. Personally in a year I've only had one small rattle (seat belt height adjuster), a faulty air sensor (easily replaced) and roof rail paint problems (also replaced).

Nothing wrong with Tuscon or Sportage, they're decent cars. A bit larger than the QQ though, maybe comparable to the X-Trail (which also uses the 1.6 dCi).
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
TheSavage

Post by TheSavage »

Hi 400 and rising. Firstly, can't believe you are getting rid of an M3, you must be mad, why don't you like it or was that tongue and cheek? I've been thinking over an RSQ3 or SQ5 but gonna hold off till 2017. I'm also hoping Nissan get their act together and do an RS Nismo in the QQ..

I've had a few QQ, love them and whilst some people have had problems, which you will get as the QQ is so popular, I've never had any but I only keep mine for a year as my father works at the main plant in the north east. Not driven the 1.6 petrol but was considering getting one due to the extra power but it's a manual and it has 60 less torgue than the 1.6 DCI. I've had both the 1.5 DCI and 1.6DCI, and definitely go for the latter. The extra power, torgue and engine size make a huge difference when accelerating, overtaking and going up hills. MPG is lower but never get less then 45 MPG with short and long journeys. The auto is great too, which you only get in the 1.6 DCI. If you can afford it as well, go for the tekna, you get loads of kit and great looking wheels!

Hope his helps!

P.S. Glad your child is ok a after meningitis, I have two young kids, can't imagine how stressful that was for you both!
400andrising

Post by 400andrising »

TheSavage wrote:Hi 400 and rising. Firstly, can't believe you are getting rid of an M3, you must be mad, why don't you like it or was that tongue and cheek? I've been thinking over an RSQ3 or SQ5 but gonna hold off till 2017. I'm also hoping Nissan get their act together and do an RS Nismo in the QQ..

I've had a few QQ, love them and whilst some people have had problems, which you will get as the QQ is so popular, I've never had any but I only keep mine for a year as my father works at the main plant in the north east. Not driven the 1.6 petrol but was considering getting one due to the extra power but it's a manual and it has 60 less torgue than the 1.6 DCI. I've had both the 1.5 DCI and 1.6DCI, and definitely go for the latter. The extra power, torgue and engine size make a huge difference when accelerating, overtaking and going up hills. MPG is lower but never get less then 45 MPG with short and long journeys. The auto is great too, which you only get in the 1.6 DCI. If you can afford it as well, go for the tekna, you get loads of kit and great looking wheels!

Hope his helps!

P.S. Glad your child is ok a after meningitis, I have two young kids, can't imagine how stressful that was for you both!
Thanks for the info and for the understanding re kids - yes it was an experience I truly never wish to repeat again!

Re the M3 yes I'm serious; problem for me is I was spoiled. I had Imprezas for 10 years and tuned them doing a lot of the work myself. My previous Impreza had 440bhp and 390ft/lbs - it was bonkers - so the M3 actually feels less savage and due to the N/A rather than forced induction it's 100ft/lbs down and is a heavy car so you can get embarrassed by lesser lower powered (and significantly cheaper to own and run) Jap cars!
Sad but true. Handling is best car I've ever owned, they look lovely (although the paint is so soft it's terrible - scuffs if you sneeze on it), but I hate iDrive (should be touch screen end of) the Auto DCT box on mine, would never have another again - my own personal view but don't think a driver's car should primarily be auto, takes so much engagement and fun out of the drive. I did try an M4 but it was worse in terms of power delivery - just felt dull and detached.

I'm chopping it in next month and getting a Focus RS with a Mountune pack in October all being well.
Very different car but puts a smile on your face rather than feeling fast but unexciting.
Long story short - I might be 38 now but not "grown up" enough to be satisfied with an M3 ;).

Back on topic - Qashqai wise - thank you everyone for the comments above.

Being a bit of an enthusiast but also a perfectionist, things like persistent rattles drive me mad, I've had seats and dashboards out of cars before to find stuff so it does worry me that people say this seems to be the norm rather than the exception!

Things like body panels not lining up, door seals coming off or heated seats switching on when they feel like it would end up with me returning the car for a refund and suing Nissan if they didn't refund; to me that's absolutely not acceptable for a brand new car in this day and age - if Ford can get it so right how are Nissan getting it so wrong - Honda's are built in the UK and they're not falling apart :(
I've had less problems with 2 X 7 year old Subaru Imprezas than a few of the poor guys on this forum who listed some of the faults they've had. It also sounds like dealers are a part of the problem rather than resolution which just isn't right.

Engine wise thanks for the heads up, for me it's overtaking performance I wanted as my wife's current car is awful, I hate driving it so will probably try a diesel and petrol, but honestly think I may look at Sportage and maybe a few others as something seems seriously wrong here if cars are still rolling off the line with huge issues. Yes I know it's mass produced but so is the Civic and you don't see it coming in for such a rough ride right?
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Ill be brief.....1.5 dci, 2 minor rattles easily rectified, comfort great, size great, manoeuvrability great, fuel economy great.....its an all round great car, for me. Yes, it is quite capable of overtaking safely, unlike some others would suggest. Ok its not the quickest out there but it is safely adequate.....if youre planning on overtaking any quicker youd most likely be breaking the speed limit anyway. Economy wise, short journeys 45mpg, longer mixed runs 55-65mpg, and long uninterrupted runs can reach 70-80mpg.
It is what it is, a family car, not a sports car. Treat it as such and it will searve you well.
switchback

Post by switchback »

I've had my 1.6 diesel for year now and it went back to the dealer last week for its first service. Any minor problems(rattles) were sorted then as I couldn't be bothered to make an earlier separate journey even though it's only 10 miles. (Hammond of Halesworth). Being a 4x4, my fuel consumption is a bit higher than others but I average around 53mpg on "A" and "B" roads, but less on the motorway(48). I have had as much as 66 mpg.

It's the most relaxing and comfortable car I've ever had, but bear in mind that the boot may be too small for a family, especially with the false floor in place. Have a look at the new Seat Ateca as well, this looks promising to me.........................
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
400andrising

Post by 400andrising »

switchback wrote:I've had my 1.6 diesel for year now and it went back to the dealer last week for its first service. Any minor problems(rattles) were sorted then as I couldn't be bothered to make an earlier separate journey even though it's only 10 miles. (Hammond of Halesworth). Being a 4x4, my fuel consumption is a bit higher than others but I average around 53mpg on "A" and "B" roads, but less on the motorway(48). I have had as much as 66 mpg.

It's the most relaxing and comfortable car I've ever had, but bear in mind that the boot may be too small for a family, especially with the false floor in place. Have a look at the new Seat Ateca as well, this looks promising to me.........................
Thanks very much. Funnily enough I found the new Ateca on Sunday and test drove one today (even though officially they aren't on release until September!).
Drove the 1.4 TFSI and wow what a car and what an engine. I'm afraid it beats the Qashqai hands down in terms of handling, power, boot space, cabin quality and price.
It handles more like a car than a crossover, and doesn't pitch and roll (and bounce) like the Kia Sportage (also drove the 2.0 diesel derivative today), yet manages to be slightly smaller than the QQ. Everything we were after and hopefully without the build quality issues it seems to suffer from too.
We will be ordering one this week I suspect!
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

400andrising wrote:
switchback wrote:I've had my 1.6 diesel for year now and it went back to the dealer last week for its first service. Any minor problems(rattles) were sorted then as I couldn't be bothered to make an earlier separate journey even though it's only 10 miles. (Hammond of Halesworth). Being a 4x4, my fuel consumption is a bit higher than others but I average around 53mpg on "A" and "B" roads, but less on the motorway(48). I have had as much as 66 mpg.

Thanks very much. Funnily enough I found the new Ateca on Sunday and test drove one today (even though officially they aren't on release until September!).
Drove the 1.4 TFSI and wow what a car and what an engine. I'm afraid it beats the Qashqai hands down in terms of handling, power, boot space, cabin quality and price.
It handles more like a car than a crossover, and doesn't pitch and roll (and bounce) like the Kia Sportage (also drove the 2.0 diesel derivative today), yet manages to be slightly smaller than the QQ. Everything we were after and hopefully without the build quality issues it seems to suffer from too.
The Seat has bigger, thirstier engines so its no surprise they have a higher power output. The higher spec Seats are also more expensive to buy. They also incur higher bands of road fund licence and most likely higher insurance costs as well. Looking at them they look much more boxy and a lot less stylish.
400andrising

Post by 400andrising »

gvmdaddy wrote:
400andrising wrote:

The Seat has bigger, thirstier engines so its no surprise they have a higher power output. The higher spec Seats are also more expensive to buy. They also incur higher bands of road fund licence and most likely higher insurance costs as well. Looking at them they look much more boxy and a lot less stylish.
Wrong on many accounts there - an excellence 1.4 TFSI is cheaper (and a lot more options with more modern and reliable tech on the Seat) than a Qashqai of equivalent spec - have had quotes on both.

In terms of bigger and thirstier I've test driven a QQ and am more than aware that Nissan's claimed mpg is absolute tosh - car wow said much the same - the QQ 1.5dci averaged little better than the equivalent 1.7 and 2.0 diesels in the Hyundai Tucson or Kia Sport.

Put it this way - for an extra £100 VED every year (but £20 less per month!) I'm getting a better put together car, with 90 litres more boot space, a hugely better performing engine (that incidentally is badged at 54mpg), and impressive handling that's outclassed everything else we've driven.
I wouldn't be so quick to rubbish it before you try it and do a bit of research.