3yrs old- Sat Nav update ? N- connecta

Frequently Asked Questions
dgf
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by dgf »

I have a 2017 Qashqai N-connecta and its now approaching its 3yr service.
In all that time the sat nav has never been updated. The dealer said that Nissan update across Europe at the same time and don't do UK updates in isolation. I'm not sure if that was a fob off and want to check before it goes for its final service within warranty. A major road was opened near me 2 years ago and its still not showing.
The DAB radio drops a signal every now and then. I get the message 'station not available'. It recovers itself after a while- a few seconds usually. Sometimes when I get in the car, the clock is an hour fast but corrects itself after a few minutes.

Is this just a system desperate for an update or symptoms of an impending demise? What is others' experience? I'd be interested to hear before I go into the dealer for the service.
Thanks all

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

I suspect they may not update outside Service intervals...but why not, its just an SDCard. My QQ is the same year etc as yours and was updated at 2yr service last month....FOC. Was invoiced at approx £40 but marked FOC. Call them prior to service and say what you want done...they should ask you actually.

DAB is pretty much near useless at low level in these cars. The Shark Fin antenna I'd say is inefficient. Likely better (slightly) on a motorway or a City. Somewhere where no expense is spared as regards Transmitters. Rural as with me has me on VHF FM and I think the Authority has decided not to make that system obsolete. No surprise! DAB doesn't work well, yet the technology description tends to glorify it...with an antenna at house roof level its ok and to which the advertising refers to really.

Transmission to Receivers needs "Line of Sight" which won't be the case with antennas almost on the ground..even amplified. VHF can get a bit scratchy when near dense-ish foliage but unlike the DAB system is not coded to drop out and loose it...dead.

Its good that your ICE recovers ok on DAB drop out as mine but its just dismal frequent interrupts mainly. My clock has not drifted. Not sure what its synced to...likely mob phone I suppose? Daylight saving selection?
Last edited by calnorth on Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum
dgf wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:15 am A major road was opened near me 2 years ago and its still not showing.
The sat-nav is updated by replacing the SD card so I'm not surprised that road isn't showing if you've not had teh SD card replaced.

But beware, the maps are a year or two out of date even when replaced!
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
dgf

Post by dgf »

Thanks

I'm wondering how I can check the version of my sat nav and what version other people have.
As long as I know the most up to date version and that's what I've got then I don't think I can expect any more from the dealer.

Can anyone offer any further information on this please?
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

dgf wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:02 am Thanks

I'm wondering how I can check the version of my sat nav and what version other people have.
As long as I know the most up to date version and that's what I've got then I don't think I can expect any more from the dealer.

I believe the following is true but UK supplied cars only.
I suspect most people who own a 2017 onwards car (that's when I think they introduced free map/SD card upgrades at annual service) will be on the most recently supplied version.
Older cars - who knows ?
People with the latest cars (2019 onwards) are able to update the map via home wifi

If you take the SD card out of the sat nav/connect unit, it will have the version number written on it (clearly labelled).
The version the dealer supplies (free) is almost always approximately a year old - nobody understands why...…

Private sellers on here (Black Rojer) or eBay often have the most up to date versions and offer at a decent price (although always slightly behind, due to the mapping process/Ordanance Survey, etc.)

The DAB problem - there have been numerous software patches (again, free from your dealer) which fixed various bugs in the connect/DAB system.
No idea how you check the software your connect is running but it is possible to find it and quite straightforward.
Some kind person will be along with an instructional video, I'm sure.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

https://nissan.navigation.com/product-list/Catalog/Catalog_Note_2016/en_GB/NissanEMEA/GBP

If your vehicle meets the criteria below* it will be eligible for the MapCare programme which includes 3 years of map updates for your navigation system.

*MapCare is available on the Nissan passenger car range embedded with NissanConnect produced from the 1st May 2016 onwards (1st June 2016 for Juke and 1st November 2016 for Navara). Vehicles that were produced before 1st May 2016 (1st June 2016 for Juke and 1st November 2016 for Navara) are excluded from this offer.

To benefit from that program, please contact your Nissan dealer.

I did persuade my dealer to replace it on my 2015 car...
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

You can also check the version through the unit's settings.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

MikeGC wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:59 am

The DAB problem - there have been numerous software patches (again, free from your dealer) which fixed various bugs in the connect/DAB system.
No idea how you check the software your connect is running but it is possible to find it and quite straightforward.
Some kind person will be along with an instructional video, I'm sure.
The ICE firmware version is in the menu settings and has not shown problems in the 2017 and on installations. It is both a hardware and software change over previous that was a bad issue. My 67 plate menu pic attached. That is the production version and has not been changed to date at any service. Maps are not as good as regards updates as Google.

DSC_0032.JPG

Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
andy2019

Post by andy2019 »

v5 was the latest sd maps card that is out 2019/2020 , got mine from ebay £30
dejjones

Post by dejjones »

I've just taken delivery of a "brand new" N-connecta".
Lovely car at a big discount, One of the reasons for the discount is that it has the Connect 3 system not Connect 4, and I have found that the maps SD card is v3 i.e. 2017.
So I have a Feb 2020 reg car with 2017 sat nav maps, when the latest available is v5 see https://nissan.navigation.com/product/Catalog/CONNECT-3-Europe-V5/sku/T1000-27783/en_GB/NissanEMEA/GBP.
I am trying to get the dealer to give me a v5 SD card.