Wheel Corrosion

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Daewar, well the comments are getting more interesting :lol: .
I remembered yesterday there was a brief post on the subject of "Warranty of Wheels" which is attached for your reference. Also the Brain started functioning last night, I always Buy Touch Up Paint (for the Car :D ) and with Metallic Colors you also get the Clear Lacquer. I can now remember I did use this to protect "Stone Chips" when they first appeared on some "Brock" Alloy Wheels and it worked preventing spreading. I have also used this on a Tekna Wheel where there was a slight edge scuff but I cannot check this as the Wheels are in Store at present. This sort of problem can sometimes be removed with very fine wet and dry paper and then polished and sealed if you catch it in time (not to deep).
Daewar, I think you have to remember that you wrote the post and members mostly long standing ones have answered and made their comments IMHO to help you. Let's hope you get it sorted - Have a Nice Day Dave ;)

http://qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... orm#p31854
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Dave,

Great idea. If i was out of warranty I would use your idea today, the sun is out :D I'm a little cautious that if i do anything to the wheel, the warranty will be questioned or void for that one wheel. I think im going to pop into the dealers or phone / email the problem so if I cant get warranty work done, I can fix up the corrosion with you idea.
DaveBerlin wrote:Daewar, well the comments are getting more interesting :lol: .
I remembered yesterday there was a brief post on the subject of "Warranty of Wheels" which is attached for your reference. Also the Brain started functioning last night, I always Buy Touch Up Paint (for the Car :D ) and with Metallic Colors you also get the Clear Lacquer. I can now remember I did use this to protect "Stone Chips" when they first appeared on some "Brock" Alloy Wheels and it worked preventing spreading. I have also used this on a Tekna Wheel where there was a slight edge scuff but I cannot check this as the Wheels are in Store at present. This sort of problem can sometimes be removed with very fine wet and dry paper and then polished and sealed if you catch it in time (not to deep).
Daewar, I think you have to remember that you wrote the post and members mostly long standing ones have answered and made their comments IMHO to help you. Let's hope you get it sorted - Have a Nice Day Dave ;)

http://qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... orm#p31854
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Daewar, Best of Luck and I am sure you will let us know how it goes - Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Paul L

Post by Paul L »

I wouldn't do anything to the wheels until they have been assessed by the dealer.
like you say, they may say you have applied an incorrect product and refuse any warranty work.
as it stands I don't think they will try to wriggle out of repair/replacement.

good luck with it.
2015 Acenta 1.5 DCI. Smart Vision Pack. Nightshade
Bonnet struts
Must get those mud flaps fitted !
ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK »

The trouble is that the Tekna wheels are diamond cut.

If there is a slight bit of damage to the clear lacquer water will get in behind and cause the damage you can see on yours.

It could have been when the tyres were mounted or from a stone chip (it'll be hard to prove either way).

Diamond cut wheels are a pain to keep looking nice, and in the long run they are going to lose their sharp look. Not looking after them just accelerates the inevitable.

I had some nice OZ diamond cut wheels on a car that was used in winter, I look after my wheels but they still started to get the 'worming' effect after the first winter.

2016 1.2 DIG-T Tekna Magnetic Red
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

I've noticed four areas of corrosion on my Tekna's rear nearside wheel. Only one is close to the rim - the others are on the spokes. It's being serviced on Tuesday so I'm going to report it as a warranty claim and ask them to check the other wheels too.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
kezzaa
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by kezzaa »

Are the new QQ alloys still susceptible to white worm corrosion ? I had a couple of wheels on my 16 plate n-tec replaced under warranty. Just wondering if I can expect the same problem on my new Tekna (19”) - I think they are diamond cut but less surface area than the n-tec design
Tekna 1.3 Dig-T PS140 Gun Metal Grey 2019 - 2021
Tekna 1.3 MH 140 Manual Ceramic Grey & Pearl Black 2022 ->
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Kezzaa, if these new QQ Alloys are “Diamond Cut” as it would appear, then “White Worm” can and will appear especially if Kerbed or Damaged. The other option would be to get them “Resprayed” - Dave :)

847231CD-443B-402D-8C2D-0BABF6B579F6.jpeg

This might be worth a read also :
https://www.smartautorepairs.co.uk/diam ... -warranty/
drewk1
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by drewk1 »

Just to further the discussion.

My 66 plate Tekna is going back to the dealers to have all four wheels replaced under warranty due to corrosion.
2024 Qashqai MH Tekna