Spare tyre or puncture repair kit or Jack

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

This is tempting fate. Been driving for nearly 50 years and have never had a puncture where I couldn't drive to get the tyre changed.. If you do get a spare, I would just think of it as insurance. Not sure what the road service people like AA, RAC do if you call them out with a puncture.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.

Spuriousfish

Post by Spuriousfish »

Got mine from here at £146 - https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk Everything is ok apart from the lift height of the jack but that's easily overcome. Doesn't include any inserts as my J10 already has space for a spare wheel anyway.
Iank

Post by Iank »

When I bought my QQ, it had the pump and a bottle of gunk in boot. I didn’t like the idea of not having a spare and had a look around for a Space saver or full size spare not a lot of difference in price really. So before deciding what to do I jacked car up took wheel off and put in boot and it fits ok , with the loss of lower storage space. So I have just bought a full size 19”alloy wheel seemed the best option for me I can still make use of space around wheel Ian
16 plate QQ Tekna 1.5 dci Ink Blue
RiveriaMan
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by RiveriaMan »

To help anyone else that is considering dumping their can of gunk in favour of a space saver wheel. Then I got mine recently from the same supplier as Spuriousfish. Not sure if they have listened to customer feedback or watch this forum, but in the tyre and kit package they sent me then the kit included a 2T scissor jack capable of 410mm max lift, which is also driven by ratchet drive rather than those silly spindle handle driven versions. Practical test with it easily lifted my 18” wheels clear off the ground without any additional item to overcome lift height problems. Even the wheel nut wrench was impressive, a rugged rubber handled item extendable to double its length and with various wheel nut diameter attachments. Yes the lower floor mat doesn’t sit completely flat now, but wheel with tyre and kit including jack all fit fine under the upper floor with no problem, and I would have that any day over just a can of gunk to assist me in an emergency.
Qashqai J11 2017 1.5 dci N-Connecta - Upgraded Horn - Upgraded Boot Lights - Bonnet Gas Struts - Hard Wired Dash Cam (Front/Rear) Dynamic Turn Indicators (Front/Mirror), Twin Exhaust Muffler, LED Interior, Reverse, Glove Box, Footwell, Puddle Lights.
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

To anyone seemingly surprised that a full size wheel will fit, remember that the overall diameter of a full size wheel plus its tyre will be the same as the spacesaver wheel with its higher profile tyre - they have to match to be able to drive the car successfully.

Thus the full size wheel is bound to fit in the context of a car with an "open" wheel well like the Qashqai. Clearly the situation would be different in the context of a height limited space such as an under-boot cradle or externally mounted hard cover.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Warning ! Just been cleaning the QQ Boot Out and I have put the “Gunk” back in place after years in the cellar and noticed as mentioned here previously that the stuff is date stamped. Ours is a 2014 QQ and our Gunk is marked 06/2018 which naturally is out of date, this could be a problem for older QQ Owners who do not have the “Space Saver Wheel” which we have - might be worth a look Dave 😋

1B5D5E6B-3A4D-48B3-911F-81B44C4E3E18.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken