Repeat issue on MOT

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Millses

Post by Millses »

Hi all

on my 2019 MOT it came up with a fail which included: Offside Front Suspension arm ball joint excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i)) before a repair and pass. This year it has the same Offside Front Suspension arm ball joint excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i)) - along with my nearside.

What am I doing or what is wrong with my car to make it keep doing this? And how can I prevent it form happening again next year? Thanks!

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Did you repair it fully last MOT? How old is the car anyway?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Millses, are you using an Independent Garage or a Nissan Dealer. It could well be that you have a real problem (QQ Year / Mileage) with worn parts. Have you noticed a problem with your QQ whilst driving ? Would it be worth getting a second opinion on the problem if not already corrected.
I use our Nissan Dealer here (Yes probably expensive) to firstly Service our QQ and then out here an Independent Inspection is done by the TÛV Rhineland who do the MOT - Dave 😉

“TÜVs (German pronunciation: [ˈtʏf]; short for German: Technischer Überwachungsverein, English: Technical Inspection Association) are German and Austrian businesses that provide vehicular inspection and product certification services. There are four of them: TÜV Nord in Hanover, TÜV SÜD in Munich, TÜV Rheinland in Cologne and TÜV Austria in Vienna.”
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Millses

Post by Millses »

Hi, it is around 10 years old and I have had it since new. I do use the local garage for all the work. And yes it was repaired and passed the MOT. Thanks
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Millses wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:57 am Hi, it is around 10 years old and I have had it since new. I do use the local garage for all the work. And yes it was repaired and passed the MOT. Thanks

I have never known any ball joint to fail within a year...these devices are very robust. You'll need to go back to the MOT tester to get some explanation and perhaps a view of any play in the joint.

You also need any invoices for work done on your car...what was done/when and with what parts. Keep a close eye on what people are doing.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

calnorth wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:48 amYou also need any invoices for work done on your car...what was done/when and with what parts. Keep a close eye on what people are doing.
Totally agree, do you know if the part was definitely changed the first time around, might be an idea to start asking to see any faulty parts that have been changed, but saying that I would imaging most garages would be able to pull a ball joint out of the scrap metal bin.
19 plate 1.5dCi n-connecta in Magnetic Red
Millses

Post by Millses »

I rang them up this morning to ask based on this advice if it was normal to go within a year, they said and I quote, "they are always doing these on qasqaui cars as it's a common fault. Usually by going over potholes. I don't really want to ask and get their backs up as this is the only garage in the area. Thinking back there have been a lot of high charges for work that carried on being problematic. I will check over my invoices, thanks for the advice I will be more on my guard from now on.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Millses wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:02 am I rang them up this morning to ask based on this advice if it was normal to go within a year, they said and I quote, "they are always doing these on qasqaui cars as it's a common fault. Usually by going over potholes. I don't really want to ask and get their backs up as this is the only garage in the area. Thinking back there have been a lot of high charges for work that carried on being problematic. I will check over my invoices, thanks for the advice I will be more on my guard from now on.

Might understand that if you were in the Agri business or travelling across Tibet...UK Pot Holes might in rare cases.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Millses

Post by Millses »

haha, nope, just the school run - last mot sept till march when we then locked down - have only used it a few times since that time locally.